- FEWS NET Uganda: Key Message Update, Nov 2016
- UNHCR Uganda: Emergency Update on the South Sudan Refugee Situation - Inter-Agency Weekly | 23-29 Nov 2016
- ECHO Factsheet - Uganda - 21 Nov 2016
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- UNHCR: Revised South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan (Jan-Dec 2016)
Key Trends Since 2000
- Investments in public agricultural research and development (R&D) in Uganda quadrupled during 1995-2008, primarily as a result of increased donor and development bank funding, along with growth in government funding after 2005 to support increased staffing and salary levels at the country's main agricultural research agency, the National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO).
- After a period of decreasing agricultural research staffing levels in Uganda due to staff losses at NARO in response to low salaries from 1999 and a hiring freeze during …
The ten ASARECA member countries (Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda) have adopted, or are planning to adopt, a range of climate change adaptation strategies in agriculture.
Of the 26 strategies mentioned, only two are common to all 10 countries, while five more are common to five or more. The strategies common to all member countries include the development and promotion of drought-tolerant and early-maturing crop species and exploitation of new and renewable energy sources.
- 11 000 personnes déplacées sont retournées dans leur milieu d'origine dans les territoires d'Ango et de Dungu en juillet 2010.
- 250 personnes vivant dans la zone sous contrôle des miliciens ont pu sortir à Bukiringi grâce au couloir humanitaire ouvert par les Forces armées de la République démocratique du Congo.
- Programme alimentaire mondial (PAM) a distribué au courant du mois de juillet, près de 715 tonnes de vivres à 68 000 bénéficiaires de différents programmes dans le district de l'Ituri.
UNHCR operational highlights
- The Tripartite Technical Working Group followed by the Tripartite Commission (DRC-Rwanda-UNHCR) meeting were held in Goma on 27-29 and 30 July respectively to adopt the practical modalities concerning the voluntary repatriation of Congolese and Rwandan refugees. Agreements were reached on the modalities for the screening of DRC refugees in Rwanda by the Local Permanent Conciliation Committees (CLPC). Parties committed during the Technical and the Commission meetings to prevent statelessness for the rejected refugees resulting from the screening exercises.
The Multi-Country Demobilization and Reintegration Program (MDRP) was a regional framework to support the disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration (DDR) of an estimated 350,000 ex-combatants in the greater Great Lakes Region (GL GL R) of Africa.
GLIDE n=B0 LS-2010-000040-UGA
The International Federation's Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) is a source of unearmarked money created by the Federation in 1985 to ensure that immediate financial support is available for Red Cross Red Crescent response to emergencies.
Note: Map production date estimated
Note: Document is 2 pages.
UNHCR Operational Highlights
- Somalia is the country generating the highest number of refugees in the world, after Afghanistan and Iraq
- Somali people are facing one of the worst humanitarian crises in the world today.
Somalia is the country generating the highest number of refugees in the world, after Afghanistan and Iraq. As of the end of July 2010 there were 600,484 Somali refugees, mainly hosted in Kenya, Yemen, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Djibouti, Tanzania and Uganda and 1.4 million Somalis internally displaced within the country, settled mainly in the South-Central region.
Identification of areas of opportunity and challenge
Livestock are an important element of the livelihoods of many Ugandan households, and considerable efforts at economic development by the government of Uganda have focused on the livestock sector. However, these development efforts have suffered due to a lack of detailed data on the distribution of livestock in Uganda to guide the targeting of such programs.
The Afican Union's NEPAD and WFP organized a side event on food and nutrition during the AU summit in Kampala (24-26th July). The theme was: "Africa must feed itself. No child should go to bed hungry. Reduce child stunting by 50 percent in the next five years and beyond"
KAMPALA -- They came they saw, they touched, they smelled, they tested, they heard.
KIGALI - People in many African countries can recover from conflict faster and even have their lives transformed through a revolution in the fight against hunger including greater opportunities to harness the power of markets, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) said today.
In Rwanda's capital at the end of a four-nation tour, WFP Executive Director Josette Sheeran said she was inspired by the enthusiasm and commitment for change she heard from almost everyone - ranging from African Union leaders at a …
Step towards targets in new polio eradication strategy
28 July 2010, Atlanta, Evanston, Geneva, New York - On Friday, 30th July, the Horn of Africa is again polio-free, with Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya and Uganda having reported no wild poliovirus cases for more than a year.
Un camion en provenance du marché de Lubirya et transportant des passagers, pour la plupart des commerçants, a été attaqué mardi 27 juillet en fin de matinée sur la route Beni-Kasindi, à la frontière ougandaise, à environ 30 kilomètres de Beni ville. Bilan provisoire : quinze morts. Les rescapés attribuent cette attaque aux combattants ADF/Nalu.
Ce mercredi matin, les activités commerciales sont restées paralysées, notamment à Beni-ville.
- Conflit foncier, entre deux localités, qui a dégénéré en affrontements faisant une dizaine de blessés et près de 80 cases incendiées dans le territoire de Mahagi.
- Sortie de civils s'étant échappés de la zone sous contrôle FRPI aux environs de Bukiringi, Malelegu et Chaï (Sud Irumu).