- UNHCR Uganda Factsheet (June 2017)
- UNDP: Uganda’s contribution to Refugee Protection and Management
- Uganda Solidarity Summit on Refugees: Requirements for a Comprehensive Refugee Response in Uganda
Appeals & Funding
- Uganda: 2017 Refugee Humanitarian Needs Overview - South Sudan, Burundi and DRC Refugee Response Plans
- 2017 South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan Revised (May 2017)
- Horn of Africa cross-border drought action plan 2017: Required response to safeguard livestock-based livelihoods in cross-border areas of Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda, March – June 2017
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
USAID's Office of Transition Initiatives (OTI) launched the Northern Uganda Transition Initiative in June 2008. The program supports the voluntary return of internally displaced Ugandans to their homes by increasing their confidence in the ability of the Government of Uganda (GOU) to deliver strategic services and strive for their welfare. The OTI program is based in the Acholi sub-region of northern Uganda, which was the region hardest hit by the 23-year conflict with the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA).
As peace has taken hold in northern Uganda, connections between the region and the rest of the country and its institutions are growing deeper by the day, and much of the success of the reintegration process is due to the efforts of the Government of Uganda and its Peace, Recovery, and Development Plan (PRDP).
Les principales activités du HCR Burundi
1. Le rapatriement et la réintégration des réfugiés burundais.
2. Protection et assistance de 31 398 réfugiés et demandeurs d'asile, dont 18 837 Congolais installés dans les camps de Bwagiriza (Ruyigi), de Gasorwe (Muyinga), de Musasa (Ngozi). 240 réfugiés Rwandais vivent dans le camp de Giharo (Rutana). Le HCR au Burundi assiste sous diverses formes et veille également à la protection de quelque 12 227 réfugiés urbains et demandeurs d'asile, dont 99 % sont originaires de la République Démocratique du Congo (RDC).
UNHCR Burundi main operational activities
1. Repatriation and reintegration of Burundian refugees.
2. Assistance to and protection of 31,398 refugees and asylum seekers, including 18,837 Congolese living in Bwagiriza (Ruyigi), Gasorwe
(Muyinga) and Musasa (Ngozi) refugee camps. 240 Rwandans are living in Giharo (Rutana) refugee camp. UNHCR Burundi provides protection and some assistance to 12,227 urban refugees and asylum seekers, of which approximately 99 % are Congolese (DRC).
- En décembre 2009, OCHA a répertorié un total de 30 attaques dans les territoires des Uele qui ont occasionné la mort de 83 personnes alors que 106 civils ont été pris en otage dont 17 enfants.
Since the beginning of the implementation of the Humanitarian Reforms in September 2005, WHO and partners have been working together both at the global/regional and country levels to improve the effectiveness, predictability and accountability of humanitarian health action.
HIGHLIGHTS / KEY PRIORITIES
- Vulnerability intensified in Southern Sudan in 2009
- Almost twice as many people were displaced by conflict in 2009 than in 2008
- The food crisis that emerged in 2009 will spill over into 2010
By =D8ystein H. Rolandsen (PRIO)
Violence and insecurity threatens peacebuilding in the Southern Sudan and the 2011 referendum on self-determination. The Sudan's interim period which started with the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) 9 January 2005 is now reaching its final phase but communities in the South still face multiple types of violence stemming from local and regional tensions as well as conflicts at the national and even international level.
The Omnibus Appropriations Act of 2009, signed by President Obama on March 11, 2009, provided $75 million in agriculture funds targeted to food security. These funds provide essential continuity to programs begun in 2008 and allow new investments to build a foundation for the launch in 2010 of a broader long-term strategy to sustainably reduce hunger and malnutrition.
A larger food security strategy is currently being developed under the leadership of the Department of State.
Des informations relatives à de nouvelles attaques menées par la rébellion ougandaise de l'Armée de résistance du seigneur (Lord's resistance army, Lra) et conclues par de nombreuses victimes civiles arrivent du diocèse d'Isiro-Niangara, à l'extrémité nord-orientale du pays.
Chad: Five years at the heart of the desert
In the field
- Female volunteers participate to an ACTED project in Pakistan
- Back to School in Gaza (oPT)
- Building boats in the Delta (Myanmar)
- Opening- up of Kouki (CAR)
- The issue of drought in the Horn of Africa (Uganda)
- The "Sanitized village" programme: At the heart of the sanitation issue (DRC)
- ACTED-PSF Cambodia: A multidemensional struggle against HIV/AIDS
OXUS Tajikistan: Khosiat and her candyshop
This report examines the role of formal, state-based mechanisms of justice and traditional mechanisms in the context of post-conflict Adjumani.
Uganda: Sixth Review Under the Policy Support Instrument and Request for an Extension of the Policy Support Instrument-Staff Report; Press Release on the Executive Board Discussion; and Statement by the Executive Director for Uganda.
The Ugandan economy is weathering the impact of the global financial crisis better than anticipated. Despite a slowdown in economic activity, real GDP growth (at 7 percent) has remained strong by regional and international standards. Core inflation has been easing in spite of an increase in headline inflation due to higher food prices.
This report examines the various types of activities conducted by PRC government and corporate organizations in Africa and Latin America, discusses the challenges to conducting an assessment of China's assistance to these regions, and outlines U.S. government efforts to engage the PRC government of development issues and to encourage greater transparency regarding its foreign assistance activities.
By Susan Anyangu-Amu
NAIROBI, Dec 30 (IPS) - The European Commission Humanitarian Aid Department (ECHO) has raised a red flag over the worsening food security situation in the Horn of Africa.
Karel De Gucht, European Commissioner in charge of development and humanitarian aid, attributes the disastrous situation to the terrible potential of climate change.
"Large parts of the Horn of Africa have had less than 75 percent of normal rainfall this year, having already endured a series of severe droughts.
Lisa Schlein | Geneva
Although improvements have been made, Margaret Chan says African health remains on the critical list. She says communicable and non-communicable diseases continue to disable and shorten peoples' lives.
The Director-General of the World Health Organization, Margaret Chan, says important progress has been made in tackling some of Africa's worst health problems over the past decade.
La paix tant espérée par les populations à l'Est de la République démocratique du Congo n'a pas été au rendez-vous en 2009.
Kinshasa, 28 décember 2009 - La MONUC, les FARDC et la Police congolaise (PNC) ont mené des patrouilles mixtes pour rassurer la population de Mbandaka. Des dizaines de déplacés sont arrivés dans la ville, fuyant la violence qui sévit dans le reste du territoire. Ces patrouilles mixtes ont permis à la population de célébrer la fête de Noël dans la paix.
La MONUC a désormais une présence militaire accrue dans la région. Elle a concentré sa force dans le District du Sud Ubangui avec environ 700 casques bleus, composés de Tunisiens à Bozene et de Ghanéens, Tunisiens et Bangladeshi à Dongo.
Conservation efforts in northern Uganda have received a $902,255 boost in a climate adaptation move that will benefit an estimated one million people.
The Danish government grant will see over 4.4 million trees planted in northern Uganda and parts of the Sudan-Uganda border, particularly in the West Nile region.
Karina Hedemark, Danish programme co-ordinator at the embassy in Kampala, said the region was picked because it suffered 19 years of neglect during the Lord's Resistance Army rebellion.
She added that by engaging local communities in tree planting, the project, dubbed …