Central America - Food Insecurity
• Guatemala - a food insecure population of 1 to 2.49 million people from February until next main harvest in August 2016.
• Honduras, many poor households will have very limited maize reserves after the 2015 drought and will be facing a food crisis by March.
• El Salvador & Nicaragua - the number of people affected is lower but still of concern with critical numbers being reached from March 2016.
• TC DUJUAN reached the coast of eastern Taiwan, in the area north of Hualien, late in the morning (UTC) of 28 September, as an intense Typhoon. On 28 September at 6.00 UTC, it had max. sustained winds of 222 km/h (equivalent to Category 4).
• DUJIAN is forecast to cross central-northern Taiwan on 28 September, slightly weakening, but still remaining a Typhoon and it may reach Fujian province (eastern China) early on 29 September still as a Typhoon (Category 1).
At 10:45 a.m. local time (02:45 UTC) on September 28, 2015, the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra satellite acquired this image of Super Typhoon Dujuan approaching Taiwan. The storm’s center made landfall along Taiwan’s mountainous northeast coast near the town of Nan’ao later in the day.
• DUJUAN intensified into a Typhoon late on 24 September, while remaining over open waters. On 25 September, the Typhoon’s centre was located approximately 925 km south-east of the southernmost Japanese groups of islands, Yaeyama and Miyako. It had maximum sustained wind speed of 139 km/h and was moving with a north-west direction.
• GONI passed over the Ishigaki and west of Miyako islands, southern Okinawa prefecture, as a Typhoon on 23 August. On 24 August, at 6.00 UTC, its centre was located approx. 158km west of Amami islands and it had max. sust. Winds of 204 km/h.
• Over the next 24h, GONI is forecast to move north-east towards western Kyushu in southern mainland Japan, passing west of the rest of Okinawa prefecture and west of Kagoshima prefecture islands, as well. Its intensity will decrease, but it will remain a Typhoon. It may reach Kyushu on late 24 August.
• Typhoon GONI weakened as it approached the Babuyan group of islands in the Strait of Luzon. On 21 August, at 6.00 UTC, its centre was located 40km south-east of Babuyan Island and it had maximum sustained wind speed of 185km/h.
Cuba – Drought
• Lack of rain from May to June has affected 68% of the country (11 provinces).
• Authorities refer to the current drought as the worst in the last 115 years. In Guantanamo, water usually used for agriculture is now used for human consumption.
• GONI (named “**INENG**” in the Philippines) formed over the northern Pacific Ocean, south-east of Guam, on 14 August. From there, it started moving north-west, intensifying.
• Typhoon SOUDELOR made landfall in Hualien county (Taiwan, late 7 August) and Fujian province (south-eastern mainland China, 8 August UTC), affecting the areas along its path with heavy rainfall, strong winds and storm surge.
• SOUDELOR is moving west-northwest over the Philippine Sea towards Taiwan, as an intense Typhoon. On 7 August, at 6.00 UTC it had max. sustained winds of 204 km/h (equivalent to Category 3).