- FEWS NET Chad Food Security Alert May 25, 2016
- Amnesty International: Sommet régional sur la sécurité. Il faut que les droits humains soient au cœur de l’action contre Boko Haram
- OCHA: The Sahel: Information Sheet (April 2016)
Appeals & Funding
- Lake Chad Basin Emergency: Humanitarian Needs and Response Overview 2016
- Aperçu des besoins humanitaires 2016
- 2016 Plan de réponse humanitaire
- Nigeria Inter-agency Regional Refugee Response Plan (RRRP) 2016
At a meeting today in the United Nations Security Council on the situation in the Sahel region of sub-Saharan Africa, senior UN officials stressed that climate change plays a direct role in the region's security, development and stability by increasing drought and fuelling conflict.
7699th Meeting (PM)
Briefer Tells of Species Lost To Desertification, Youths Lured by Militants
Stretched thin between the interlinked challenges of desertification, poverty and rising violent extremism, resolving challenges facing the Sahel region of Africa would require accelerated regional action and urgent international support, the Security Council heard during a series of briefings today.
by Kieran Guilbert | Thomson Reuters Foundation
Thursday, 26 May 2016 15:03 GMT
DAKAR, May 26 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - From displacement and deaths to funding and food prices, a new data map will enable aid agencies to compare and contrast various needs in a humanitarian crisis and boost their response, according to the U.N. team behind it.
Read the story on the Thomson Reuters Foundation
Aperçu de la situation
Le site de Gaoui, situé à 15 km de N’Djamena, a été ouvert en janvier 2014 afin d’accueillir les retournés tchadiens fuyant les violences en République Centrafricaine (RCA). Il compte actuellement quelque 5 200 retournés, en majorité des femmes et des enfants, principalement venus de Bangui.
Au cours du plan d'intervention humanitaire 2016 (HRP), les indicateurs de résultats du Sahel ont été définis en consultation avec les points focaux du secteur régional pour fournir des indicateurs de performance standards pour le Sahel. Les points focaux des Cluster Pays ont fournis leurs objectifs annuels et commencé à rapporter sur leurs réalisations sectorielles pour chacun des indicateurs de résultats sur une base mensuelle.
During the 2016 Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP), The Sahel output indicators were defined in consultation with the regional sector focal points to provide a standard measure of performance for the Sahel. Country Cluster focal points provided their annual targets for each country and started to report on their cluster achievements for each of the output indicators on a monthly basis.
Poor harvests and insecurity limit food availability and access in Sahelian Chad
- Rapid assessments in northeastern Nigeria indicate urgent humanitarian needs
- More than 20,000 newly displaced people registered in Cameroon’s Far North Region between February and April
- ERC Stephen O’Brien calls for increased assistance for Lake Chad Basin response
Ecological catastrophe from environmental injustice related to desertification, global climate change, corruption, and mismanagement of the hydro-system present ongoing development challenges to people living in the Lake Chad Basin who depend on the system for income, employment, and food security.
By Aicha Chir Nour
In Chad, the Daresalam refugee camp hosts more than 5,000 refugees from Nigeria and Niger. Here, every individual has fled atrocities and violence that plague their countries. The camp’s school is the only place where Yande Tchari, 17 years old and in first grade, feels safe. “Only in class am I able to take my mind off things. School gives me the opportunity to learn always something new,” she says.
Kornoi is one of the three localities of Dar Zaghawa (Um Buru, Tina and Kornoi). Kornoi locality identified as the main return area and to assess the situation of the returnees, several return monitoring missions conducted during 2015 to the area and mission reports shared with all stakeholders, which helped a lot in planning of many interventions in Kornoi locality,
This mission came as recommendation of the previous missions to visit the remaining areas in the locality in special those can be reach from Um Buru.
60 MILLION people affected globally at present.
32 MILLION people food insecure in Southern Africa.
10.2 MILLION people in Ethiopia need emergency food assistance.
50 PERCENT crop losses in Haiti due to El Niño-influenced drought.
· According to the CCCM cluster, there are 107,625 people displaced (refugees, returnees and IDPs) of whom 37% are not registered yet in the Lake region.
· Global acute malnutrition in displacement sites in the Lake region continue to be alarming. WFP screening data shared at the end of April show that among children under five screened in 8 displacement sites in the Lake region, an estimated 6% suffered from Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) and nearly 18% from Moderate Acute Malnutrition (MAM).