- OCHA South Sudan Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 7 | 30 May 2016
- WFP South Sudan Situation Report #127, 23 May 2016
- UNHCR South Sudan Operational Update - 9/2016, 15 May 2016
Appeals & Funding
- 2016 Humanitarian Needs Overview
- 2016 Humanitarian Response Plan
- IOM South Sudan Consolidated Appeal 2016
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2016 PDF XLS
- Guide to Giving: Key ways of contributing to the crisis response in South Sudan
- WHO Humanitarian Response Plan 2016
- Close to 640 000 people in Kenya are food insecure and more than 80% of these live in the country’s arid regions. Inter-clan conflict, insecurity and disease outbreaks also continue to destabilise many people’s lives in addition to drought. This year’s El Niño has led to torrential rains and floods causing damage and fatalities across the country.
- Kenya hosts nearly 600 000 refugees from South Sudan, Somalia and the Great Lakes region.
The worsening humanitarian situation and the suffering of the people of South Sudan have reached unimaginable proportions. The country ranks second in the European Commission's Global Vulnerability and Crisis Assessment index (after the Central African Republic). South Sudan was the world's most fragile State in 2014 and 2015 (Fragile States index).
The number of forcibly displaced people (refugees and internally displaced people) has continued to rise alarmingly in 2015 and 2016, calling for increased humanitarian assistance worldwide.
The full implementation of this version of the HIP is subject to the adoption of the decision amending Decision C(2015) 8936 final and conditional upon the necessary appropriations being made available from the 2016 general budget of the European Union
AMOUNT: EUR 88 500 000
Ethiopia is experiencing its worst drought in 50 years following two failed rainy seasons. One quarter of the population is affected and more than 10 million people are in need of emergency assistance. This number could increase if the spring rains are further delayed. Ethiopia is one of the countries most affected by the El Niño phenomenon, which has caused extreme weather across the African continent.
La Commission européenne a annoncé aujourd’hui un train de mesures d’aide humanitaire d’un montant de 52 millions d’euros, visant spécifiquement la réalisation, en 2016, de projets éducatifs en faveur d’enfants en situation d’urgence.
European Commission - Press release
Brussels, 5 April 2016
EU quadruples its humanitarian financing to education in emergencies worldwide.
Providing access to clean water in sufficient quantities is essential to sustain life and promote health in emergency and crisis situations. Basic sanitation and appropriate hygiene behavior and management are essential conditions to create a safe living environment.
The European Commission is one of the largest humanitarian donors in providing water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) assistance with almost €120 million alone allocated in 2015 to projects in this sector.
The humanitarian situation is deteriorating in the state of Northern Bahr el Ghazal in South Sudan and across the border in Sudan. There are about 280 000 people identified as being in crisis situation in Northern Bahr el Ghazal. ECHO partners reported that the number of children being admitted for treatment for acute malnutrition increased during February.
Since 2011, Uganda has experienced a number of refugee emergencies with a spike of arrivals from South Sudan since war broke out there in December 2013. Today, the country hosts more than half a million refugees and asylum seekers from 33 different countries.
- On 17 February, fighting between rival ethnic groups was reported within the Malakal Protection of Civilians (PoC) site in Upper Nile sheltering over 47 000 persons from four different ethnic groups living in already very difficult conditions. At least 16 people were killed (among them two MSF South Sudanese staff) and 91 wounded. Thousands of IDPs, mainly children and women, are seeking refuge into the UNMISS compound.
- ECHO’S health partners MSF, IOM and IMC remain operational and are providing health services.
- Gambella region in Ethiopia is hosting more than 260 000 South Sudanese refugees. The region is also regularly affected by internal displacement.
- The situation in Gambella town is tense at the moment after several security incidents linked to inter-ethnic clashes involving Nuer and Anuak ethnic groups. The conflict erupted on 20 January, initially in Gambella town and Itang woreda. However, tensions and clashes expanded to other areas. The situation is unpredictable and clashes may continue for weeks to come.
15,517,531 Total number of displaced people in African countries
3,975,947 Total number of refugees
11,541,584 Total number of Internally Displaced People
134,492 Total sea arrivals in 2015 from African countries to Europe (Greece, Italy, Spain and Malta)
Alors que la Corne de l’Afrique connaît toujours une multitude de crises, qu'il s'agisse de cycles récurrents de conflits ou de catastrophes naturelles, touchant des millions de personnes, l’UE a annoncé qu'elle accorderait une aide humanitaire de 77 millions d’euros à cette région en 2016.
With the Horn of Africa continuing to face a multitude of crises from recurrent cycles of conflict to natural disasters, affecting millions of people, the EU has today announced €77 million in humanitarian aid for the region in 2016.
The Horn of Africa region is hosting some 1.7 million refugees. More than half a million live in Kenya.
Ethiopia is currently experiencing a severe drought due to two consecutive poor rainy seasons. 10.2 million people are in need of emergency assistance. It is one of the countries most affected by the El Nino phenomenon.
0. MAJOR CHANGES SINCE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE HIP
Fourth modification as of 18/12/2015
Despite the signature of the peace and power sharing agreement in South Sudan in August 2015, humanitarian needs continue to increase. In the conflict affected areas, the provision of basic services remains almost entirely under humanitarian aid and the livelihoods and coping mechanisms have drastically deteriorated.