- FEWS NET South Sudan Food Security Alert August 23, 2016
- OCHA South Sudan Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 12, 23 Aug 2016
- WFP South Sudan Situation Report #140, 13-20 August 2016
Appeals & Funding
- 2016 Humanitarian Needs Overview
- 2016 Humanitarian Response Plan
- IOM South Sudan Consolidated Appeal 2016
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- UNHCR: Revised South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan (Jan-Dec 2016)
- UNHCR: South Sudan Situation Supplementary Appeal January - December 2016
- WHO Humanitarian Response Plan 2016
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2016 PDF XLS
- Guide to Giving: Key ways of contributing to the crisis response in South Sudan
- OCHA South Sudan
- UNHCR South Sudan Situation Information Sharing Portal
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- A man-made catastrophe - A multimedia journey through South Sudan
- Open Data for South Sudan
- International Organization for Migration South Sudan
- Office of the IGAD Special Envoys for South Sudan
- Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Commission (JMEC)
- Food Security Cluster: South Sudan
- Logistics Cluster: South Sudan
This submission was prepared for the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) of South Sudan taking place in November 2016. It was submitted to the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) in March 2016. In it, Amnesty International evaluates the current situation of human rights in the country and makes recommendations to the government of South Sudan to strengthen the protection of human rights and address human rights challenges.
7 August 2016 – Welcoming the Government of South Sudan's acceptance of a regional protection force to help quell the ongoing violence in the country, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on all South Sudanese parties to uphold their responsibility to protect civilians and to demonstrate their commitment to a peace agreement, “the only viable path” out of the crisis.
The Assembly of Heads of State and Government of the IGAD Plus held its Second Extra-Ordinary Summit meeting on 5th August 2016 in Addis Ababa,
Ethiopia and deliberated on the prevailing situation in the Republic of South Sudan.
• Administration of cholera vaccination continued in several locations vulnerable to the outbreak with UNICEF supporting intensive community awareness creation. 807 cases and 21 deaths have been reported by 5 of August.
• Although UNICEF and partners are providing education services in Tomping and UN House, attendance is low. Many parents are unwilling to send their children to school out of fear of family separation in the event of further violence.
203 IDPs have relocated from the UNMISS base in Tong Ping to UN House since movements began on 28 July. Several cholera cases have been reported at both sites with three confirmed positive by culture at Tong Ping (one) and UN House (two). In response, Health and WASH partners have increased their efforts at the sites in order to mitigate and prevent the spread of cholera.
August 5, 2016 (EL-FASHER) - Thousands of South Sudanese refugees in North Darfur state have launched an appeal to the Sudanese government and aid groups to provide them with food, clothing and shelter.
Last month Sudan said it has received 500,000 South Sudanese refugees since 2013.
South Sudanese tribal chief Ajack Deng Kual told Sudan Tribune that 7,000 refugees have arrived in the locality of Al-Leit, 325 km. south east of North Darfur capital, El-Fasher from Bahr el-Ghazal region in South Sudan.
The passage of Tropical Storm EARL expected to partially mitigate dryness over Central America
Africa Weather Hazards
Consistent and aboveaverage rain over the past few weeks has led to moisture surpluses throughout much of Eastern Africa. Torrential rain is forecast to continue over western Sudan and the highlands of Ethiopia and Eritrea, likely to elevate the River Nile and Al Gash River levels further and potentially resulting in flooding over many areas of Sudan during the next week.
The Logistics Cluster is responsible for providing logistics coordination, Information Management; and, where there is a gap in logistics infrastructure, WFP, as the lead agency of the Logistics Cluster, acts as a ‘Provider of Last Resort’ by offering common logistics services to support the humanitarian community in their response operations.
Highlights of the Operation
5 August 2016 – The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) said today that it is responding to a growing food security emergency causing malnutrition in children in both rural and urban areas of crisis-gripped South Sudan.
73 per cent of all new South Sudanese refugees are children.
Children and women of child bearing age have been immunized against Polio (14,374 children 0-5years), Measles (18,029 children 6 months -14 years) and Tetanus (902 women).
6,220 children under five years of age have now been screened for malnutrition; 6.5% are malnourished while 2.5% are severely malnourished; all malnourished children have been referred for appropriate treatment.
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia | AFP | Friday 8/5/2016 - 20:20 GMT
South Sudan on Friday accepted the deployment of a regional intervention force after escalating violence put a fragile peace deal in danger, the head of the East African bloc IGAD said.
"The government of South Sudan accepted," Mahboub Maalim said after a summit in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, adding that the scope and mandate of the force have yet to be decided.
© 1994-2016 Agence France-Presse
JUBA, South Sudan – “I never felt so empty and helpless,” Tabitha* told UNFPA. She is one of at least a hundred civilians to be sexually assaulted in the wake of South Sudan’s most recent hostilities.
Plus de 38 000 personnes bénéficieront d’une assistance en sécurité alimentaire dans le sud Irumu.
Environ 23 000 personnes dans le besoin attendent une assistance à Opienge.
Aperçu de la situation
Thousands of refugees continue to flee in to Uganda from South Sudan on a daily basis. Yesterday, 2,308 refugees were confirmed as crossing.
Uganda is now hosting more South Sudanese refugees than any other country, followed by second largest asylum country Ethiopia. In the region, current likely scenarios anticipate 973,000 South Sudanese refugees to have sought safety in neighbouring countries by the end of the year.
INTRODUCTORY MESSAGE FROM THE DIRECTORS
HealthNet TPO is a Dutch aid agency that works on recovery of communities in war torn societies.
We improve health and wellbeing by changing victims into agents of change, building on existing community resources to create new resources, thus help people gain health, hope and confidence.