- FEWS NET Somalia: Alert, January 16, 2017
- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin Somalia December 2016 | Issued on 30 Dec 2016
- FEWS NET/FAO Somalia: Food Security & Nutrition Quarterly Brief - Focus on Post-Deyr 2016 Season Early Warning
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Needs Overview 2017
- Humanitarian Response Plan 2017
- 2016-2018 Humanitarian Strategy
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2016 PDF XLS
- OCHA Somalia
- UNHCR Somalia displacement portal
- FSNAU (FAO Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit Somalia)
- SWALIM (Somalia Water and Land Information Management)
- Human Rights Watch: Somalia - Events of 2016
- New Deal Somalia
- UNSOM (UN Assistance Mission in Somalia)
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Food Security Cluster: Somalia
- Logistics Cluster: Somalia
- The severe drought affecting Somalia has now triggered a pre-famine alert "in a worst-case scenario" by specialists of the UN.
CERF funds help International Organization for Migration (IOM) to provide emergency primary healthcare in Puntland and Somaliland.
Ethiopian National Defence Forces (ENDF) serving under the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) on Sunday donated an assortment of foodstuff to vulnerable households in Gobwein village, Lower Jubba region.
The team from AMISOM ENDF led by their contingent commander in Kismaayo, Colonel Regassa Tesfaye and logistics officer Lt. Colonel Tilahun Abraha, visited and distributed the relief supplies in the village, which is 12 kilometres north of Kismaayo.
New York – In a new report on the impact of armed conflict on children in Somalia, the UN Secretary-General describes how grave violations against boys and girls were committed with impunity over the course of several years. This was due in part to the breakdown in law and order and the absence of state authority in large parts of the country.
GOK Registration Update.
As of 31st December 2016, Kakuma Refugee camp population stands at 154,947 with 37,813 from Somalia, 84,983 from South Sudan, 9,078 from Sudan, 1,159 from Uganda, 505 from Rwanda, 5,366 from Ethiopia, 55 from Eritrea, 9,753Congo(DRC) , 39 from COB, 6,164 from Burundi and 22 from Tanzania.
The Deputy Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for Somalia Peter de Clercq heard first-hand accounts of the deteriorating humanitarian situation in South West state today during an assessment tour of the administrative capital of Baidoa.
Mr. de Clercq visited a camp for internally displaced persons (IDPs) and the city’s main hospital to meet with victims of a prolonged dry spell that has produced severe water shortages and acute food insecurity.
“La Résolution 46/182 des Nations Unies reste aussi pertinente et fondamentale aujourd’hui qu’en décembre 1991 et les principes d’humanité, de neutralité, indépendance et d’impartialité qu’elle contient continuent de guider une assistance humanitaire stratégique, coordonnée et efficace aux personnes qui en ont besoin”
Understanding what works to reduce violence, including violent extremism, is a key priority for many policymakers. Despite this need, to date there is very little research evaluating the effects of development programs on violence reduction. To address this knowledge gap, Mercy Corps undertook a rigorous impact evaluation of a 5-year stability-focused youth program in Somalia known as the Somali Youth Leaders Initiative (SYLI).
Geneva, 17 January 2017
1. Brief description of the emergency and impact
Switzerland - IOM reports that 2,876 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2017, through 15 January, arriving mostly in Greece and Italy, compared with 23,664 through the first 14 days of January, 2016.
There have been 219 estimated deaths, compared with 91 during the first two weeks of 2015. This fatalities figure is considered low by IOM’s Missing Migrants Project, which is investigating reports that surfaced over the weekend that would add at least 200 deaths to the total.
Severe drought, rising prices, continued access limitations, and dry forecasts suggest Famine is possible in 2017
189 New arrivals from Yemen
2,595 Refugees and asylum-seekers children enrolled to schools
484 Refugees and asylum-seekers supported with healthcare assistance
299 Refugee households provided with the business grants
747 Yemeni refugees families provided with the blanket cash assistance
Mogadishu, 17 January, 2017 —The humanitarian community in Somalia is seeking US$864 million to reach 3.9 million people with urgent life-saving humanitarian assistance. The Humanitarian Response Plan for Somalia for 2017 plan was launched today in Mogadishu with calls to the international community for timely support to help bolster humanitarian operations and meet urgent humanitarian needs. “The humanitarian situation remains grim for millions of Somalis.
783,401 Registered Refugees and Asylum-seekers
1. The present report is submitted pursuant to paragraph 22 of Security Council resolution 2275 (2016) and paragraph 44 of Council resolution 2297 (2016). It provides information on the implementation of those resolutions, including on the mandate of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) and challenges faced by the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) in carrying out its mandate. It covers major developments from 1 September to 31 December 2016.
II. Political and security overview
FAO seeks USD 26 million to deliver four key results that will change the course of 1.5 million people’s lives.
Large-scale and unprecedented protests swept through Ethiopia’s largest region of Oromia beginning in November 2015, and in the Amhara region from July 2016. Ethiopian security forces cracked-down on these largely peaceful demonstrations, killing more than 500 people.
BELET WEYNE – AMISOM troops from the Djiboutian contingent donate medical supplies to needy residents in villages in Belet Weyne
AMISOM troops under the Djiboutian contingent on Wednesday donated assorted medicines to populations affected by cholera and drought in Belet Weyne. The donations were distributed alongside a security operation that included foot patrols, in Jawiil and El gal districts, north of Belet Weyne.