- WFP Drought Response Situation Report #6, 17 August 2017
- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin Somalia July 2017 | Issued on 31 July 2017
Appeals & Funding
- Horn of Africa: A Call for Action, February 2017
- Operational Plan for Famine Prevention (Jan-Jun 2017)
- Humanitarian Needs Overview 2017
- Humanitarian Response Plan May 2017
- 2016-2018 Humanitarian Strategy
- FAO Somalia Famine Prevention and Drought Response Plan (Feb-Jul 2017)
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
- IOM Appeal Somalia Drought, January - June 2017
- UNHCR Somalia Situation Supplementary Appeal 2017
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Country-based Pooled Fund: 2016
- Business Guide: North-East Nigeria, South Sudan, Yemen and Somalia: Prevent Famine and Support Response
- OCHA Somalia
- UNHCR Information Sharing Portal: Refugees in the Horn of Africa: Somali Displacement Crisis
- FSNAU (FAO Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit Somalia)
- SWALIM (Somalia Water and Land Information Management)
- Human Rights Watch: Somalia - Events of 2016
- New Deal Somalia
- UNSOM (UN Assistance Mission in Somalia)
- Food Security Cluster: Somalia
- Logistics Cluster: Somalia
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - Dec 2016
- Somalia: Floods - May 2016
- Somalia: Cholera Outbreak - Apr 2016
- Tropical Cyclone Megh - Nov 2015
- Tropical Cyclone Chapala - Nov 2015
- Somalia: Floods - Oct 2015
- Somalia: Drought - 2015-2017
- Somalia: Floods - Apr 2015
- Somalia: Floods - Oct 2014
- Somalia: Measles Outbreak - May 2014
Bureau de Coordination des Affaires Humanitaires - IRIN
Pour l'Afrique Centrale et de l'Est
Tél: +254 2 622 147
Fax: +254 2 622 129
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Integrated Regional Information Network
for Central and Eastern Africa
Tel: +254 2 622147
Fax: +254 2 622129
[IRIN thanks the Somali National Conference Technical Committee and Conference Committee for assistance in compiling this list, and individuals who helped make it as complete as possible. As no official list is available, IRIN welcomes clarifications and additions and apologises for unintentional omissions or other errors.]
SUDAN: Bashir calls for national reconciliation talks
Good Outlook for Cereal Production in Southern Somalia
Rainfall was adequate in amount and spatial distribution during the first ten days of May for early main season farming activities in most agricultural areas. The rains then began to withdraw from the eastern half of the country and became more scattered in the west. By the last ten days of May, dry conditions typical of this month were established over most of the country.
Jose Hueb, WHO
Water, Sanitation and Health
Department of Protection of the Human Environment
Approximately 1.1 billion people globally do not have access to adequate supplies of clean drinking water and about 2.5 billion people have no access to adequate sanitation facilities. More than 2 billion people, most of them children, die annually from diarrhoeal diseases which are closely related to lack of access to safe water and adequate sanitation.
SACB CONSULTATIVE COMMITTEE
Mogadishu, Somalia: Vaccinators, warlords and militia in Mogadishu all came together this week to bring the fight against polio to the city for the first time since 1998.
SUDAN: Kofi Annan appeals for end to fighting around Bahr el-Ghazal
Press Release SC/6884
Press Release SC/6883
Djibouti Updates Council on Somali National Peace Conference
Under-Secretary-General Kieran Prendergast told the Security Council today that it must "not fall prey to cynicism and despair and give up on Somalia", as he briefed the Council on the political, security and humanitarian situation there. On the contrary, he added, it should give renewed support to the Somali National Peace Conference currently under way in Djibouti.
UNITED NATIONS (June 29) XINHUA - A senior U.N. official Thursday called on the international community to assist Djibouti financially in its peace initiative for Somalia in a bid to restore peace in the war-torn African country.
Kieran Prendergast, U.N. under-secretary-general for political affairs, made the statement as he was briefing an open Security Council debate on the current political and security situation in Somalia, the first of its kind in recent years.
The Security Council this morning began an open debate on Somalia by hearing a briefing from Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Kieran Prendergast on the latest developments there, particularly the opening of the second round of the Somali Peace Conference in Arta, Djibouti, on June 15.
The United Nations Security Council today condemned the continuing human rights violations in Somalia - particularly attacks by armed groups on innocent civilians and humanitarian personnel - and urged Somali factions to participate in the peace process initiated by the President of Djibouti.
Rome/Geneva, Thursday, 29 June, 2000
- The drought stricken countries of the Horn of Africa will need long-term
commitment and support from their governments, the United Nations system,
donor countries and from non-governmental organizations to improve their
food security and protect their people against future disasters, according
to an interim report by the Inter-Agency Task Force.
The report was endorsed by the executive heads of the ten organizations of the Task Force during a meeting hosted by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) at its headquarters today.
SUDAN: Turabi launches new political party
Appeal Target: US$ 518,772
Geneva, 27 June 2000
The current drought in the Horn of Africa has severely affected parts of Somalia too, particularly the southern regions bordering Ethiopia. Of the estimated 16 million people affected by this regional phenomenon, 2 million are in Somalia.