- FEWS NET Somalia Food Security Outlook Update, November 2016
- WHO AWD/Cholera Sitrep for Somalia, EPI Week 47, Week ending 27th November 2016
- WHO Somalia Epidemiological Bulletin week 45 Vol 1 Issue 45 (7th -13th November 2016)
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Needs Overview 2017
- Update Call for Aid - Drought & El Niño July-September 2016
- Humanitarian Response Plan 2016
- 2016-2018 Humanitarian Strategy
- UNHCR Somalia Situation Supplementary Appeal Jul-Dec 2016
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- UNHCR: Yemen Situation Emergency Response (Jan-Dec 2016) Supplementary Appeal 2016
- FAO Rapid Results Drought Response Plan - Somaliland and Puntland
- WHO Humanitarian Response Plan 2016
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2016 PDF XLS
- OCHA Somalia
- UNHCR Somalia displacement portal
- FSNAU (FAO Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit Somalia)
- SWALIM (Somalia Water and Land Information Management)
- New Deal Somalia
- UNSOM (UN Assistance Mission in Somalia)
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Food Security Cluster: Somalia
- Logistics Cluster: Somalia
Below-average Deyr production and high local cereal prices expected
Poursuite d’une résurgence en Mauritanie et développement de plus petites en Érythrée et au Yémen
- Introduction: Understanding and Measuring Safe Migration Solon Ardittis and Frank Laczko
- Defining safe migration: The migrant’s perspective and the role of sending countries in research and data collection A case study from IOM Iraq Benedetta Cordaro
- Opportunities and challenges for existing approaches to measuring and monitoring human trafficking Harry Cook and Eliza Galos
- Perspectives on safe migration: The case of irregular and unsafe migration from the Horn of Africa Bram Frouws
- IOM’s Displacement Tracking …
655,314 Syrians registered with UNHCR in Jordan, accounting for 7 per cent of the national population
60,647 Iraqis registered with UNHCR in Jordan, over a third of whom are children.
2 Jordan hosts the second highest number (87) of refugees per 1,000 inhabitants in the world
6 Jordan represents the sixth highest refugee-hosting country in the world
93 Percentage of Syrians living outside of camps and below the poverty line in Jordan
ALEXANDRIA, Egypt, Dec 6 (Reuters) - At around 2 a.m. on Saturday, April 9, a large blue fishing boat carrying hundreds of African migrants and their children capsized just off the coast of Egypt.
Some drowned quickly. Others thrashed in the water, yelling for help in Arabic, Somali or Afan Oromo. The few with lifejackets blew whistles that pierced through the shrieks.
Read more on the Thomson Reuters Foundation
There will be a significant reduction of rainfall activities in most parts of the country in the coming three days with most places expected to receive little or no rains.
Light to moderate rainfall in the South; northern and central regions remain dry
Batula is a traditional birth attendant and has been working for the past 25 years. Because of her reputation and medical skills, many families take girls to her and ask let her to carry out Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) on them. FGM is a deep-rooted cultural practice in Somalia with virtually every Somali girl and woman (98 per cent) having undergone it.
I am launching today, on behalf of the United Nations and hundreds of our humanitarian partners across the world, the Global Humanitarian Overview for 2017.
This appeal 2017, comprising strategic and coordinated response plans covering 33 countries, is calling for US$22.2 billion – the highest amount we have ever requested.
A total of 84 cases of AWD/Cholera and zero death were reported
A total of 60 cases of bloody diarrhoea were reported in different areas
A state of emergency has been announced in Puntland following severe drought in the region
A mission to access the emergency response and surveillance activities was launched in Somalia and will be conducted in all regions
CSR officers have been trained in laboratory sample collection, packaging and shipment
Les appels et plans de réponse dans 33 pays visent à aider 93 millions de personnes
CLUSTER SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES
Keeping in view the Cluster Objectives, UNHCR Somalia aims to contribute to the protection of displaced people, including those affected by natural hazards through the provision of NFIs and Emergency shelter and to Improve the living conditions of the protected internally displaced persons (T-shelters, permanent shelter and improved land tenures).
“Ultimately, I believe cultural change will favour women, especially when we move to party politics, where leaders are elected on the basis of their manifestos and not gender.”
These words by Suldan Warsame Suldan Alio Ibrow, an influential leader and clan elder from Somalia’s South West state, sum up his views about the prospects for women in Somalia’s political transition.
At the clan level, Suldan wields immense influence. The 49-year old from the Jiido sub-clan of Digil clan, was among 135 clan elders who took part in the selection of Electoral College delegates.
The requirements presented in this funding snapshot refer to the 2016 Regional Refugee and Migrant Response Plan covering the period January to December 2016.
RRP requirements: $94,130,731
Funding received: $34,817,230
% funded: 37%
172.2 M required for 2016
75.0 M contributions received, representing 44% of requirements
97.2 M funding gap for the Yemen Situation
On 24 November Jubbaland became the first Federal State in Somalia to conclude selection of candidates for seats in the House of the People. Now the state's electoral officials are being invited by other Federal States to share their recipe for success.
Mohamud Hassan Elmi, Deputy Chair of the Jubbaland State Level Indirect Electoral Independent Team (SIEIT) says they benefited greatly from the support of the state authorities which gave them the independence to conduct their work unhindered.
As of 30 November 2016, UN-coordinated appeals and refugee response plans within the Global Humanitarian Overview (GHO) require US$22.1 billion to meet the needs of 96.2 million humanitarian crisis-affected people in 40 countries. Together the appeals are funded at $11.4 billion, leaving a shortfall of $10.7 billion.