- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 21 | 16 – 22 May 2016
- UNHCR Operational Update, 16–29 Apr 2016
- FEWS NET Food Security Outlook Update, Apr 2016
Appeals & Funding
- Sudan El Niño Mitigation and Preparedness Plan, Feb 2016
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2015 PDF XLS
- CHF (Common Humanitarian Fund)
Communiqué de presse
Addis Abéba, le 23 mai 2016 - La cinquième réunion ministérielle du Mécanisme conjoint de coordination (MCC) de l'Initiative de coopération régionale pour l'élimination de l'Armée de résistance du Seigneur (ICR-LRA) s’est tenue à Addis-Abeba le 20 mai 2016.
• A sub-national measles campaign is targeting more than 4 million children in five states of Sudan during 22-30 May 2016.
• South Sudanese continue to arrive in Sudan as a result of conflict and deteriorating food security conditions in South Sudan.
• UNHAS announces provisional direct flights between El Fasher and Sortony, North Darfur.
• An inter-agency mission to the Anka area in North Darfur has reported that 15,000 people in the area need assistance.
In this issue
Arrivals and departures
The current Burundi refugee situation in Tanzania began late April 2015. The months that followed saw significantly high number of persons of concern arrivng in Tanzania, mainly through Kagunga, a tiny border village along Lake Tanganyika and other entry points in Kigoma region. The population was relocated to Nyarugusu camp, which was already host to 65,000 persons of concern, mainly DR Congolese. The camp quickly ran out of capacity to host the new population, prompting the opening of a new camp, Nduta, in Kibondo district on 07-Oct-2015. Nduta's capacity has been put at 60,000.
The Great Lakes Region highlights the interconnected nature of conflict. This is particularly true for the four focus countries of the Great Lakes Project (GLP), namely Burundi, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Rwanda and Uganda. This interconnectedness forms the basis of the GLP’s regional approach.
Arrivals and departures
In Greece, an estimated 126 people arrived over the weekend (21-22 May) in the northern Aegean (35 on Lesvos, 76 on Chios, and 15 on Samos).
A growing number of children are malnourished in Sudan, according to the Ministry of Health.
The State Minster of Health announced in the Sudanese Parliament on Monday that there is an increased child malnutrition rate in the country. Sumaya Idris presented a report on the Ministry's performance for 2015 and the first quarter of this year.
Kornoi is one of the three localities of Dar Zaghawa (Um Buru, Tina and Kornoi). Kornoi locality identified as the main return area and to assess the situation of the returnees, several return monitoring missions conducted during 2015 to the area and mission reports shared with all stakeholders, which helped a lot in planning of many interventions in Kornoi locality,
This mission came as recommendation of the previous missions to visit the remaining areas in the locality in special those can be reach from Um Buru.
60 MILLION people affected globally at present.
32 MILLION people food insecure in Southern Africa.
10.2 MILLION people in Ethiopia need emergency food assistance.
50 PERCENT crop losses in Haiti due to El Niño-influenced drought.
· Food stocks are stretched and WFP requires USD 117 million for the next six months to meet the needs of new arrivals and existing refugees, particularly in Kenya, Sudan and Uganda.
· Deteriorating food and nutrition security, driven by high food prices and the declining economic situation is affecting South Sudanese across the country.
Approximately 5.8 million people in Sudan are in need of humanitarian assistance, the 2016 HNO reports
Ongoing insecurity continues to constrain access and needs verification in Jebel Marra
More than 4 million people will face at least Crisis levels of food insecurity between March and September 2016
On 19 May 2016, UNAMID`s Gender Advisory Unit, Sector West, in partnership with the Ministry of Local Governance , inaugurated the El-Humairaa Basic School for girls at Ardamata Administrative Unit in El Geneina, the capital of West Darfur. The project is part of the Mission’s Quick Impact Project (QIPs) aimed at creating a conducive learning environment and at increasing the school enrolment rate of children in the area.
Arrivals and Departures
Since late January 2016, there has been a surge in the number of South Sudanese fleeing into Sudan. As of 12 May, about 45,500 refugees had arrived in East Darfur, of whom some 28,100 are in Khor Omer IDP camp.
The worsening humanitarian situation and the suffering of the people of South Sudan have reached unimaginable proportions. The country ranks second in the European Commission's Global Vulnerability and Crisis Assessment index (after the Central African Republic). South Sudan was the world's most fragile State in 2014 and 2015 (Fragile States index).