- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin | Issue 2 | 9 – 15 January 2017
- UNICEF Sudan Humanitarian Situation Report, Dec 2016
- FEWS NET Sudan: Key Message Update, Nov 2016
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Needs Overview 2016 [EN/AR]
- Humanitarian Response Plan, Jan-Dec 2016 [EN/AR]
- Sudan El Niño Mitigation and Preparedness Plan, Feb 2016
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- UNHCR: South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan January – December 2017
- UNHCR: South Sudan Situation Supplementary Appeal January - December 2017
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2016 PDF XLS
- CHF (Common Humanitarian Fund)
- OCHA Sudan Who Does What Where Presence Dashboard
- OCHA Sudan
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- South Sudan Situation Information Sharing Portal: Sudan
- Human Security Baseline Assessment for Sudan and South Sudan (HSBA)
- Satellite Sentinel Project
- Food Security Cluster: Sudan
- Human Rights Watch: Sudan - Events of 2016
- UNHCR and inter-agency partners are seeking US$166.6 million to meet the needs of South Sudanese refugees in Sudan.
• So far, 1,500 people have returned to Tamar village in Central Darfur State.
• In Central Darfur, the Wali issued a decree to form a high committee for humanitarian coordination to oversee humanitarian work in the state.
• WFP launched a cash voucher programme assisting 75,000 IDPs in Otash camp, South Darfur.
557.6 million US$ received in 2016
“La Résolution 46/182 des Nations Unies reste aussi pertinente et fondamentale aujourd’hui qu’en décembre 1991 et les principes d’humanité, de neutralité, indépendance et d’impartialité qu’elle contient continuent de guider une assistance humanitaire stratégique, coordonnée et efficace aux personnes qui en ont besoin”
• Many Jebel Marra IDPs in Central Darfur State need winter supplies, according to the national NGOs Labena and Sanad Charity Foundation.
• About 12,000 returnees in Kutum locality (North Darfur) need more assistance.
• MoU on the delivery of aid to South Sudan through Sudan has been extended for another six months.
• As of the end of 2016, the health sector requirements for the year were only 44% funded against the 2016 Sudan HRP.
FIGURES 2016 HRP
In 2017, more than 4.7 million people will need humanitarian assistance in Chad.
According to the SMART Nutrition Survey of November 2016, 10 regions have severe acute malnutrition (SAM) rates above the WHO emergency threshold (2%).
Chad loses about 9.5 per cent of its gross domestic product (GDP) each year, or more than 578 billion CFA francs because of undernutrition.
Over 4.7 million people will need humanitarian assistance in Chad in 2017
IN 2016, HUMANITARIAN RESPONSE PLANS (HRPs) in the MENA region requested US$7 billion and have received $4 billion. In total, MENA HRPs are 56 per cent funded. Three new FLASH APPEALS address specific situations: in Iraq where the humanitarian impact of the Mosul operation requires $284 million; in Afghanistan where $152 million is needed to assist returnees from Pakistan; and in Libya where $10 million is needed for Sirt.
As of 30 December 2016, the inter-agency coordinated appeals and refugee response plans within the Global Humanitarian Overview (GHO) require US$22.1 billion -- an increase of 10 per cent since it was first launched twelve months ago -- to meet the needs of 96.2 million humanitarian crisis-affected people in 40 countries. By the end of 2016, $12.6 billion were raised towards the coordinated appeals -- more than ever before. Despite immense donor generosity, it is only 57 percent of the requirements committed, leaving a short fall of $9.5 billion.
POPULATION TOTALE DU TCHAD 14,2M
PERSONNES DANS LE BESOIN 4,7M
PERSONNES CIBLÉES 2,6M
BUDGET (US$) 589M
# PARTENAIRES HUMANITAIRES 117
PERSONNES DANS LE BESOIN 4,7M
BESOINS HUMANITAIRES ET CHIFFRES CLÉS
L'insécurité alimentaire, les déplacements de population et les urgences sanitaires, exacerbés par les risques climatiques et le faible développement humain, précipitent environ 8,1 millions de personnes, presque les deux tiers de la population tchadienne, dans une vulnérabilité aigüe ou chronique. Plus de 4,7 millions de personnes, dont 52 % de femmes, ont besoin d'une assistance humanitaire et de soutien pour renforcer leurs moyens d'existence.
• HAC has issued amended directives and procedures regarding humanitarian action in Sudan.
• On 24 December, HAC in North Darfur State, together with IDP leaders launched an intention survey amongst IDPs in North Darfur.
• About 2,500 people have returned to the Kaoura area, North Darfur, from Tawilla, Kebkabiya and Sortony and need essential household supplies.
• On 18 December, the World Bank launched the second phase of livelihood project targeting IDPs and host communities in Kassala State.
As of end of September 2016, more than 2.7 million people had fled their homes in South Sudan since fighting broke out in December 2013, with over 1.7 million internally displaced people inside the country and 1 million who had fled as refugees to neighbouring countries. This represents an increase of about 200,000 people newly displaced. There were about 202,020 people sheltering in Protection of Civilians (PoC) sites in United Nations bases.
During November, the refugee outflow to neighbouring countries continued, with an average of 2,480 South Sudanese arriving in Uganda daily, the majority from the Greater Equatoria region. At the same time, fighting continued to drive internal displacement. In Central Equatoria, several thousand people fled from locations such as Morobo, Lainya and Yei to Kajo-Keji, while in Western Equatoria insecurity in Yambio caused the temporary displacement of some 750 people.
• Thousands of South Sudanese continue to flee to Uganda.
• Three years since the conflict in South Sudan began, humanitarian needs continue to rise.
• A measles outbreak has been confirmed in Wau, bringing the total number of outbreaks country-wide this year to 13.
• Humanitarians find aid hub looted during visit to Nhialdiu.
• This month OCHA celebrates 25 years of humanitarian coordination.
• On 11 December 2016, the Humanitarian Coordinator and HAC Commissioner General travelled to Golo in Jebel Marra, Central Darfur.
• Plan International Sudan has been supporting 103,600 refugee and host community children in White Nile State since August 2015.
• EU approved €170 million to tackle irregular migration and forced displacement in the Horn of Africa, including €39 million for Sudan.
New York, 19 December 20165
Checked against delivery
I offer my condolences to the Russian Federation over the death of its Ambassador in Turkey.
My thanks to the Secretary-General for his powerful statement and his clear ask to this Council and Government of South Sudan to which I fully align.