- UNICEF Humanitarian Situation Report, April 2015
- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 21 | 18 – 24 May 2015
- OCHA Sudan Common Humanitarian Fund | CHF - Basic facts and figures
Appeals & Funding
- 2015 Humanitarian Needs Overview
- Sudan Humanitarian Response Plan 2015
- CHF (Common Humanitarian Fund)
In Q1-2015, FAO’s global cereal price index fell a further 13 percent year-on-year. It is now 5 percent lower than in Q4-2014.
Real prices of wheat have fallen by 10 percent over the last quarter. Prices are 20 percent lower than in Q1-2014 and at their lowest levels since mid-2010, thanks to large supplies, favourable production forecasts and strong export competition.
La production céréalière 2014-2015, révisée en mars 2015, pour le Sahel et l’Afrique de l’Ouest se chiffre à 61 612 000 tonnes. Elle est supérieure de 7% à celle de l’année dernière et en hausse de 10% par rapport à la moyenne des cinq (5) dernières années. Le maïs occupe la première place avec une production estimée à 20 385 000 tonnes, suivie du riz (17 325 000 tonnes), du sorgho (13 664 000 tonnes) et du mil (9 183 000 tonnes).
The 2014-2015 Cereal production, revised in March 2015, for the Sahel and West Africa stands at 61,612,000 metric tons. It is 7 % higher than the one for last year and 10 % higher than the average production for the last five (5 ) years. Maize ranks number one with a production estimated to 20, 385,000 tons, followed by rice (17,325,000 tons), sorghum (13,664,000 tons) and millet (9,183,000 tons).
Situation Générale en février 2015 Prévision jusqu'à ’mi-avril 2015
La situation relative au Criquet pèlerin est restée préoccupante en février le long de la cote de la mer Rouge, au Soudan et en Érythrée, où des opérations de lutte ont été réalisées contre un grand nombre de bandes larvaires, groupes d’ailes et essaims.
· During Q4-2014, FAO’s global cereal price index decreased by 7% year-on-year, but on average, it remained at the level of the previous quarter.
· Real prices of maize have fallen by 14% since Q4-2013. They are up 1% from Q3-2014 after the low in September/October.
· On average, real prices of wheat remained constant between Q3 and Q4-2014. Global wheat supplies for 2014/15 are up thanks to increased production and beginning stocks; thus price levels in Q4-2014 are 17% lower than a year ago.
General Situation during January 2015 Forecast until mid-March 2015
In response to the outbreak of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV) in South Sudan, over 19,000 children were vaccinated last week in Bentiu Poc, where the two cases were reported. Outbreak response plans are in place to hold three rounds of supplementary immunization activities (SIAs) in high risk areas to stop transmission of the virus.
In Madagascar, a circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 1 (cVDPV1) has been confirmed. The virus was isolated from one case of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) with onset of paralysis on 29 September, and from three healthy contacts. An estimated more than 25% of children remain under-immunized against polio in the country. Madagascar was previously affected by a cVDPV2 outbreak in 2001/2002 (resulting in five cases) and in 2005 (resulting in three cases). Emergency outbreak response is being finalized, with campaigns to be held in December and January.
The mandate of the Department of Rural Economy and Agriculture of the African Union Commission is to initiate and promote policies that can contribute to the development of rural economy and improve livelihoods through increasing agricultural productivity, ensuring food security, and enhancing sustainable use and management of Africa’s natural resources.