Toggle text

Sudan government suspends aid flights to South

NAIROBI, Oct 1 (Reuters) - The Sudan government on Thursday imposed a blanket ban on aid flights to the south of the country, according to the U.N.'s Operation Lifeline Sudan (OLS).

The government gave no reason for the decision and OLS said it hoped the ban was an administrative matter that would be quickly resolved through negotiation with the Khartoum government.

"There was a blanket denial today (Thursday) on flights anywhere in south Sudan," OLS spokeswoman Gillian Wilcox told Reuters. "No reason was given."

Aid workers are fighting to combat severe

Reuters - AlertNet:



For more humanitarian news and analysis, please visit www.trust.org/alertnet

Toggle text

Kenya/Sudan: Influx at Lokichokio hospital

Several dozen new casualties are being admitted every week to the ICRC's surgical hospital in Lokichokio, northern Kenya. Last week, patients suffering from gunshot wounds were brought to the facility from 21 locations in southern Sudan. So far this year, the hospital has treated 1,280 people.
Because there are virtually no health-care facilities left in southern Sudan after 16 years of war and owing to the scarcity of medical care in the region around Lokichokio, the ICRC hospital also admits pregnant women, people bitten by snakes and crocodiles, and accident victims.
Toggle text

Sudan says attacks rebels near key Southern town

KHARTOUM, Oct 1 (Reuters) - A Sudanese army officer has said his forces had inflicted heavy casualties on rebels fighting to gain control of a key southern town, Sudanese state television reported late on Wednesday.

Major General Adam Hamid, commander of the Equatoria military area, told the television his forces had seized and destroyed several tanks in fighting at the Khor Inglis bridge which is a few miles west of Torit, a target for the rebel Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA).

He did not give any details.

Aid workers said the SPLA began shelling

Reuters - AlertNet:



For more humanitarian news and analysis, please visit www.trust.org/alertnet

Toggle text

MERLIN Sudan Update

Report
Merlin
Sudan
- Feeding centres have been established in Adet, Bahr el Ghazal province, south Sudan, in response to famine.

- MERLIN has successfully completed its Sleeping Sickness programme in western Equatoria, south Sudan. We plan to extend the programme to neighbouring districts.

MERLIN, 14 David Mews, Porter Street, London W1M 1HW. Telephone 0171 487 2505. Fax 0171 487 4042.

Registered charity no: 1016607.

Toggle text

Sudan Daily Bulletin No. 51

Update
Logistics

Barge Operations : The Sobat barge convoy left Kosti on 29 September. The barge convoy will deliver 1,244 mt of food for 108,312 beneficiaries in Upper Nile State.

Air Operations : Regular supplies of Jet A1 are expected to resume in El Obeid on 2 October and in Khartoum on 4 October.

On 28 September, a total of 78 mt of food was delivered from the Northern Sector (Khartoum 35 mt and El Obeid 43 mt). No deliveries of food were made on 29 September from the Northern Sector.

The two Khartoum-based Ilyushin-76 aircraft

Toggle text

Crisis in Sudan Update

Cease-fire talks slated for October 5
A senior EU aid official has said the main warring parties in Sudan's civil war had agreed to meet to discuss extending a cease-fire they agreed earlier in the year to allow food deliveries to reach hungry people in Bahr al-Ghazal. The official said representatives of the Khartoum government and the Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) would meet in Nairobi on 5 October to discuss extending the truce, which formally expires on 15 October.

Yei hospital bombed again Norwegian People's Aid said in a statement that a government warplane had bombed

Toggle text

FEWS Bulletin - Sudan - Sept. 1998


In Sudan, Extreme Food Insecurity Persists, Despite Improved Food Availability

Toggle text

IRIN Update No. 513 Central and Eastern Africa

Report
IRIN
UNITED NATIONS
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Integrated Regional Information Network
for Central and Eastern Africa
Tel: +254 2 622147
Fax: +254 2 622129
e-mail: irin@ocha.unon.org

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO: Displaced arrive in Kalemie

The rebel Rassemblement congolais pour la democratie (RCD) is seeking international support to resettle thousands of displaced people to the Ruzizi plain of South Kivu, humanitarian sources said. Last week, the RCD said that up to 20,000 people, mainly ethnic Tutsi

IRIN:

A selection of IRIN reports are posted on ReliefWeb. Find more IRIN news and analysis at http://www.irinnews.org

Une sélection d'articles d'IRIN sont publiés sur ReliefWeb. Trouvez d'autres articles et analyses d'IRIN sur http://www.irinnews.org

This article does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies. Refer to the IRIN copyright page for conditions of use.

Cet article ne reflète pas nécessairement les vues des Nations Unies. Voir IRIN droits d'auteur pour les conditions d'utilisation.

Toggle text

Bulletin quotidien no 513 d'information sur l'Afrique Centrale et de l'Est

Report
IRIN
NATIONS UNIES
Bureau de la coordination des affaires humanitaires
IRIN - Afrique Centrale et de l'Est
Tel: +254 2 622 147
Fax: +254 2 622 129
e-mail: irin@ocha.unon.org

REPUBLIQUE DEMOCRATIQUE DU CONGO (RDC)

Des 'deplaces' arrivent a Kalemie

Le mouvement rebelle, le Rassemblement congolais pour la democratie (RCD) cherche un soutien international pour reinstaller des milliers de personnes deplacees dans la plaine de Ruzizi dans le Sud Kivu, ont indique des sources humanitaires. La semaine derniere,

IRIN:

A selection of IRIN reports are posted on ReliefWeb. Find more IRIN news and analysis at http://www.irinnews.org

Une sélection d'articles d'IRIN sont publiés sur ReliefWeb. Trouvez d'autres articles et analyses d'IRIN sur http://www.irinnews.org

This article does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies. Refer to the IRIN copyright page for conditions of use.

Cet article ne reflète pas nécessairement les vues des Nations Unies. Voir IRIN droits d'auteur pour les conditions d'utilisation.

Toggle text

Famine and Displacement Devastate Southern Sudan

Mawum Mayor, an 11-year old boy, lay motionless under a dirty blanket not far from where a pot was boiling over a wood fire. Inside the pot was a dirty piece of cowhide, which young Mawum's mother was desperately trying to cook to feed her children. No other food wasavailable.
The virtually inedible dinner of tough cowhide was irrelevant to the young boy under the blanket. He was dead. His thin body had drawn its last breath two hours earlier, a victim of the famine sweeping the people of southern Sudan.

As the dead boy's body lay on the ground,

Toggle text

Sudan Sends Reinforcements to Fight Rebels

Report
Xinhua
KHARTOUM (Sept. 28) XINHUA - More volunteers from universities, and more tanks have been sent to Sudan's southern province of Equatoria to take part in the "final battle" against rebels.

Kamal Hassan, spokesman of the National Service in charge of enlistment, said Monday the 5,000-strong reinforcements have set out for the battlefields to fight alongside the army in an all-out offensive on the Sudanese People's Liberation Army (SPLA) and its allied Ugandan forces.

Hassan said the classes at Sudanese universities

Toggle text

Sudan Daily Bulletin No. 50

25-29 September 1998
Floods

Heavy rains continue in many regions. Food distributions were interrupted by rains across Bahr El Ghazal region. Despite the recent floods in the Jonglei Region, the food distribution was completed in Paluer (Bor County) to 20,500 beneficiaries. Following a Bor County (Jonglei) aerial assessment of the flood situation, it is apparent that the southern parts of that county are unaffected but the floods have severely damaged crops in other areas. It estimated that between 50 -70 % of the cultivated area in some locations is

Toggle text

IRIN Update No. 512 Central and Eastern Africa

Report
IRIN
UNITED NATIONS
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Integrated Regional Information Network
for Central and Eastern Africa
Tel: +254 2 622147
Fax: +254 2 622129
e-mail: irin@ocha.unon.org

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO: Chad confirms troops sent

Chad confirmed that it has sent some 1,000 soldiers to the DRC. In an official communique read on Chadian radio and television yesterday (Monday), the government said its military support to President Laurent-Desire Kabila was aimed at upholding

IRIN:

A selection of IRIN reports are posted on ReliefWeb. Find more IRIN news and analysis at http://www.irinnews.org

Une sélection d'articles d'IRIN sont publiés sur ReliefWeb. Trouvez d'autres articles et analyses d'IRIN sur http://www.irinnews.org

This article does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies. Refer to the IRIN copyright page for conditions of use.

Cet article ne reflète pas nécessairement les vues des Nations Unies. Voir IRIN droits d'auteur pour les conditions d'utilisation.

Toggle text

Bertini concerned about renewed fighting in Southern Sudan

Catherine Bertini, Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme, expressed concern today about the resurgence of fighting in the Juba area of southern Sudan.
Armed conflict between Government of Sudan forces and SPLA rebels that erupted mid-month around the garrison towns of Torit and Liria, near Juba, has put the lives of more than 52,000 Sudanese living in the area at risk, WFP estimates. The renewed hostilities come one month before a cease-fire is expected to end.

This fighting although not in the area of the agreed cease -fire is very distressing news, not only

Toggle text

UN humanitarian agencies express concern about renewed fighting in southern Sudan

Extract from UN/DPI Daily Highlights - 29/09/98
United Nations humanitarian agencies have expressed concern about renewed fighting in southern Sudan and called for the extension of the ceasefire.

The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) on Tuesday said that the extension of the ceasefire in southern Sudan would enable the humanitarian agencies to continue to provide assistance to the needy people in that country.

Carol Bellamy, the Executive Director of UNICEF, said that the ceasefire opened a window of opportunity, enabling

Toggle text

Sudan - Rains Intensify the Need for Emergency Relief in Wau, Bahr El Ghazal

Report
CARE
Sudan Famine Update
September 29, 1998 - Rains and cold weather in August have exacerbated the poor health condition of many of the estimated 68,500 Sudanese people at risk of illness and death from starvation. Almost 1,500 people died in August - 250 of these deaths occurred between August 24 and 27.

CARE has responded to the distressing famine in Sudan by opening emergency relief centers in Wau town, where the current need for assistance greatly exceeds the aid services available in the town.

CARE's programs help the most extreme

Toggle text

Bulletin quotidien no 512 d'information sur l'Afrique Centrale et de l'Est

Report
IRIN
NATIONS UNIES
Bureau de la coordination des affaires humanitaires
IRIN - Afrique Centrale et de l'Est
Tel: +254 2 622 147
Fax: +254 2 622 129
e-mail: irin@ocha.unon.org

REPUBLIQUE DEMOCRATIQUE DU CONGO (RDC)

Le Tchad confirme avoir envoye des troupes en RDC

Le Tchad a confirme avoir envoye 1 000 soldats en RDC. Dans un communique officiel, lu hier (lundi) a la radio tchadienne, le gouvernement a declare que son soutien militaire au President Laurent-Desire Kabila avait pour objectif de faire respecter "le principe

IRIN:

A selection of IRIN reports are posted on ReliefWeb. Find more IRIN news and analysis at http://www.irinnews.org

Une sélection d'articles d'IRIN sont publiés sur ReliefWeb. Trouvez d'autres articles et analyses d'IRIN sur http://www.irinnews.org

This article does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies. Refer to the IRIN copyright page for conditions of use.

Cet article ne reflète pas nécessairement les vues des Nations Unies. Voir IRIN droits d'auteur pour les conditions d'utilisation.

Toggle text

Cease-fire in Sudan must be extended, says UNICEF

Tuesday, 29 September 1998: UNICEF today released a statement by UNICEF Executive Director Carol Bellamy on the urgent need to extend and broaden the cease-fire in Sudan:
The three-month ceasefire between the Government of Sudan and the Sudan Peoples' Liberation Movement (SPLM) expires on 15 October. It must be extended in time and broadened in scope. UNICEF joins the World Food Programme (WFP) and other aid agencies in calling for a six-month extension of the ceasefire and for its inclusion of regions outside of Bahr el Ghazal.

Specifically, a prolonged ceasefire must

Toggle text

Burundi + 5 others
IRIN Update No. 511 Central and Eastern Africa

Report
IRIN
UNITED NATIONS
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Integrated Regional Information Network for Central and Eastern Africa
Tel: +254 2 622147
Fax: +254 2 622129
e-mail: irin@ocha.unon.org
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO: Government says African support growing

DRC Information Minister Didier Mumengi told the Associated Press (AP) on Saturday that DRC President Laurent-Desire Kabila had received "preliminary agreement" from several central and West African countries to contribute troops for a military "intervention

IRIN:

A selection of IRIN reports are posted on ReliefWeb. Find more IRIN news and analysis at http://www.irinnews.org

Une sélection d'articles d'IRIN sont publiés sur ReliefWeb. Trouvez d'autres articles et analyses d'IRIN sur http://www.irinnews.org

This article does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies. Refer to the IRIN copyright page for conditions of use.

Cet article ne reflète pas nécessairement les vues des Nations Unies. Voir IRIN droits d'auteur pour les conditions d'utilisation.

Toggle text

Repeated terror bombing in South Sudan

The NPA (Norwegian People's Aid) run Hospital in Yei - Eastern equatoria - was again hit by bombs from a Government of Sudan airplane (most probably an antonov) at 1:00 a.m. on September 28th 1998. The Recovery Ward of the Hospital was hit and badly damaged, injuring one patient seriously. The bombs used this time was cluster bombs, leaving numerous of unexploded small bombs from within such a bomb unexploded and extremely dangerous for people in the area who could touch them.
Cleaning up of the NPA Hospital compound for remains of the unexploded cluster bombs is taking place.