- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin | Issue 41, 3 - 9 October 2016
- UNICEF Sudan Humanitarian Situation Report, September 2016
- Sudan Common Humanitarian Fund Annual Report 2015
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Needs Overview 2016 [EN/AR]
- Humanitarian Response Plan, Jan-Dec 2016 [EN/AR]
- Sudan El Niño Mitigation and Preparedness Plan, Feb 2016
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- UNHCR: Revised South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan (Jan-Dec 2016)
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2016 PDF XLS
- CHF (Common Humanitarian Fund)
- More than 70,000 people newly displaced by conflict incidents in 2010
- High levels of food insecurity and severe rates of malnutrition as hunger season sets in early
I. SITUATION OVERVIEW
Southern Sudan has emerged from an historic election.
Polio outbreak in Tajikistan: Wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) has been detected in Tajikistan, representing the first importation of poliovirus in the WHO European Region since it was certified polio-free in 2002. The virus is most closely related to viruses originating in Uttar Pradesh, India. 199 cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) have been reported, the majority of these having had onset of paralysis in April. To date, WPV1 had been isolated in 32 of these cases.
Elections Offer Millions of Sudanese the First Opportunity in Their Lives to Vote
This month, Sudan's first multiparty elections since 1986 fulfilled a major requirement of the 2005 Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) that ended the 22-year, north-south civil war, giving millions of Sudanese the first opportunity in their lives to vote.
Canada's commitment to and large-scale engagement in Sudan is part of a whole-of-government effort, involving the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT), the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), the Department of National Defence (DND), and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
Developing Countries Respond to Climate Change
For two decades, a fierce battle raged in the media and public square pitting environmentalists against industry leaders as the world struggled to understand and react to the changing climate.
- April 2010, reported distributions by Sector partners in Southern Sudan supported 1,766 conflict-affected and refugee households with essential non-food items (NFIs) and emergency shelter (ES).
- The national elections were free of major violence requiring intervention by the NFI & ES Sector.
The key goal of the upcoming Review Conference of the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court was "to complete negotiations on defining individual responsibility for the crime of aggression", William Pace, Convenor of the Coalition for the International Criminal Court, said today at a Headquarters press conference ahead of the Review slated for 31 May to 11 June in Kampala, Uganda.
The Review Conference was being held in accordance with the Court's mandate to review its work seven years after the …
Programme purpose: The International Federation supports the Red Cross of Chad (RCC) in the field of programme coordination, service delivery and donor cooperation development, with a particular mission to ensure the continuation of quality humanitarian aid provided to nearly 50,000 Sudanese refugees hosted in Tréguine and Brédjing camps and approximately 15,000 vulnerable host populations in the sub-prefecture of Hadjar Hadid.
- As we head into the rainy season, UNJLC would like to appeal to all humanitarian partners to share information (and pictures) on road status. For North Sudan, please submit information to firstname.lastname@example.org; for Southern Sudan, please submit information to email@example.com.
- UNJLC has arranged with UNAMID and WFP to make Common Transport Services available in North Sudan.
UNHCR Deputy High Commissioner Visits the Region:
The UNHR Deputy High Commissioner, Mr. Alexander Aleinikoff, made a familiarisation visit to a number of East African countries including Djibouti, Ethiopia and Kenya. These countries continue to receive thousands of Somalis seeking international protection due to conflict and violence in Somalia.
In its initial Sudan policy review, the Obama administration pledged that it would regularly evaluate the progress of peace in Sudan-or lack thereof. The administration's approach was clear:
"Assessment of progress and decisions regarding incentives and disincentives will be based on verifiable changes in conditions on the ground.
The month of April has seen increased inter-ethnic conflict in the areas of South and West Darfur. Insecurity and lack of humanitarian access were primary concerns in the provision of health services to affected communities in Darfur, particularly in the Jebel Marra region.
Tanzania: tens of thousands of refugees granted citizenship
Ngara, 22 April 2010 - Tanzania has granted citizenship to 162,000 refugees who fled the 1972 civil war in Burundi.
The largest ever naturalisation of refugees in the world was described by UN agencies and human rights groups as a historic occasion.
"It is one of the most generous gestures ever made towards refugees", JRS Tanzania Country Representative, Damas Missanga SJ, told Dispatches.
In a public statement, the UN refugee agency (UNHCR) expressed its gratitude and appreciation to the …
April 30th, 2010 by paul
"The hunger that is coming will be very bad"
- Resident of Obo, Central African Republic
In 2004, United Nations humanitarian chief Jan Egeland called northern Uganda the world's worst neglected humanitarian disaster. LRA attacks and the government's draconian policy of forced displacement, along with a strong dose of international neglect, led to the deaths of over 1,000 northern Ugandans a week at the height of the conflict.
This report covers the period 01 January 2009 to 31 December 2009
Programme purpose: To enhance capacities of the 141 National Societies (NS) in East Africa region in responding to the humanitarian challenges.
- Disaster Management (DM) programme: To build well-prepared, stronger and more efficient NS able to predict, prevent and reduce risks and respond to emergencies, mitigate their impact as well as cope with their …
Note: Map production date estimated
Document is 6 pages
Note: Map production date estimated. Document is 14 pages.
Note: Map production date estimated
ABOUT THIS PUBLICATION
In 2003 the Criminal Law and Judicial Advisory Service was created within DPKO to promote rule of law work, addressing both judicial and penal systems, in UN peace missions.
This Update introduces the work of this Service and of Justice Components working in peace missions around the world.
Why the U.S. Must Bring Pressure to Head Off Full-Scale War
WASHINGTON, D.C - A return to full-scale war can be headed off, say eight leading Sudan advocacy organizations, but only if the Obama administration quickly implements its policy to pressure parties who are backsliding on benchmarks crucial to a durable peace in Sudan.