- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin Issue 21 | 16 – 22 May 2016
- UNHCR Operational Update, 16–29 Apr 2016
- FEWS NET Food Security Outlook Update, Apr 2016
Appeals & Funding
- Sudan El Niño Mitigation and Preparedness Plan, Feb 2016
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2015 PDF XLS
- CHF (Common Humanitarian Fund)
Human Rights Council
The Human Rights Council this morning held general debates on the human rights situation in Palestine and other Occupied Arab Territories, on human rights bodies and mechanisms, and on follow-up and implementation of the Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action.
Khartoum/Geneva (ICRC) - The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) will start distributing food and essential household items today to families affected by recent hostilities in and around Korma, in North Darfur.
"Based on the findings of our assessment team, we decided to provide food and other essential items to more than 13,000 people affected by the recent fighting as a first emergency response," explained Jan Nicolas Schuett, head of the ICRC sub-delegation in Alfasher, who is supervising the operations.
Procesos de paz
?Se produjeron numerosas divisiones internas en los grupos armados africanos que entraban en negociación.
Se reanudaron las conversaciones sobre el futuro del Sáhara Occidental, aunque sin lograr avances.
El Gobierno de Filipinas activó los diálogos con el MILF y el NPA.
El Gobierno de Turquía inició un proceso de acercamiento con los kurdos y con el grupo armado PKK.
?El 19 de agosto se celebró el 1er Día Mundial de la Acción Humanitaria.
Somalia se enfrentó a la mayor crisis humanitaria de los últimos …
Zinc Seen as Breakthrough Cure for Diarrhea
Sogola, Mali-Generations of residents have watched their children fall ill each rainy season with diarrhea, which kills an astonishing 1.6 million children under 5 every year, according to the World Health Organization (WHO)-more than either malaria or AIDS. It also stunts growth, and forces millions-adults and children alike-to spend weeks at a time off work or school.
But USAID, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and other groups have begun distributing zinc supplements to villagers in …
- The Sudan Joint Procedures Centre in collaboration with the GoS MHA has revised the General Directory of Procedures, also known as the NGO Toolkit; revisions on customs and tax exemption in Sudan are also provided.
- The current Khartoum airport maintenance is resulting in departure time delays at the Domestic Terminal. Passengers are reminded to check in two hours prior to departure.
- The Partner Spotlight this month focuses on the WFP Rain Barrier Program and Local Maintenance Initiative 2008-2009 in Twic East county, Jonglei state.
Prochain bulletin vers le 13 octobre.
- Décision de transfert des refugiés du camp d'Ouré Cassoni vers un autre site;
- Besoin d'assistance pour les déplacés dans le nord de la région de Salamat;
- Plus de moyens nécessaires pour le secteur de l'éducation à l'est;
- Appel de fonds humanitaire (CAP) du Tchad financé à 63%.
TEL AVIV, 30 September 2009 (IRIN) - Rights groups such as Amnesty International have called on the Egyptian authorities to "urgently rein in their border security forces" after seven African asylum-seekers were killed in September trying to cross into Israel on foot, but some Israeli NGOs and soldiers say the death toll at the border is far higher.
''I strongly believe there are hundreds of unreported dead and wounded [at the border]," Sigal Rosen, public activities coordinator at the NGO Moked, a hotline for migrants, told IRIN.
Darfuri refugee women and girls face high levels of rape and other violence on a daily basis both inside and outside refugee camps in eastern Chad, despite the presence of UN security forces, a new Amnesty International report reveals.
In No place for us here: Violence against refugee women in eastern Chad, Amnesty International documents rape and other violence against women and girls in the camps, who face attacks carried out by villagers living nearby and members of the Chadian National …
- Admissions into selective feeding programmes: Overall admissions into Supplementary Feeding Centres (SFCs) and Therapeutic Feeding Centre/Outpatient Treatment Programme (TFC/OTP) declined across the three Darfurs, however admissions into TFC/OTPs in North and West Darfur continued to increase This unseasonal trend was attributed to broadening of the admission criteria into TFC/OTPs as well as increased number of centres in the areas, but is anticipated to decline in October/November.
- Nutrition outcomes: The results of sixteen localized nutrition surveys (7 in …
Prepared by the CHF Technical Unit (OCHA) and the CHF Fund Management Unit (UNDP)
The Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) pools donor contributions into a single funding mechanism intended to address Sudan's critical humanitarian needs. Managed by the UN Humanitarian Coordinator, the Fund offers participants an opportunity to fulfil the principles of good humanitarian donorship through the provision of rapid, flexible support for priority needs, irrespective of other considerations.
This report covers the period from August 2008 - Sept. 2009. It includes the activities achieved by the steering committee, the head of CEWARU, visits of officials from the Headquarters (CEWARN and a brief note about the conflict southern Sudan.)
The National Early Warning and response mechanism in Sudan was established after the declaration of the early warning and response mechanism CEWARN of the IGAD countries. Since then it has been active in attending the different activities run by the CEWARN.
Welcome to the fourth issue of the Recovery and Rehabilitation Programme E-Bulletin. This monthly newsletter aims to highlight project successes while keeping development partners updated on RRP news.
The RRP is a five-year initiative (2005-2010), including four years of implementation.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Darfur Update
- Southern Sudan Update
- Eastern Sudan Update
- Annual Needs and Livelihoods Assessment
- Funding Overview/Update
DARFUR: WAITING FOR RAIN
The onset of the rainy season, ongoing conflict and insecurity, and constraints on access to people in need presented persistent challenges to the delivery of humanitarian assistance in Darfur between July and September. Filling gaps in delivery of services created by the March expulsion of 13 international NGOs and dissolution of three national NGOs remained a priority.
Hope amid the crises
Recently, good news has been in short supply. Journalists and civil society leaders continue to disappear or to be assassinated in the Russian Federation, the situation in the Caucasus remains explosive both in the north (Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia) and the south (Georgia and Nagorny-Kabarach). The crises in Darfur, Somalia and the DRC drag on.
Civil Society Organizations Educate Community about Election Process
Three civil society organizations based in Central Equatoria state - Mugwo Youth Association (MUYA), Payawa Scholarship Scheme (PASS) and Kanda Ya Nini - recently conducted an event in Mugwo Payam to raise awareness about the 2010 elections. All three organizations are partners in Mercy Corps' Localizing Institutional Capacity in Southern Sudan (LINCSS) program, funded by USAID.
"We need to make sure that our community is aware.
- Distributions from the NFI Common Pipeline supported 12,054 households in September with 36,410 non-food items (NFIs) and emergency shelter (ES) from the NFI Common Pipeline in Darfur.
Édito Journée mondiale de l'aide humanitaire : se souvenir et se mobiliser
La Journée mondiale de l'aide humanitaire était célébrée le 19 août dernier, date choisie en commémoration de l'attaque menée en 2004 contre les bureaux de l'ONU à Bagdad durant laquelle 22 personnes avaient été tuées.
UPDATE FROM THE FIELD: DARFUR, SEPTEMBER 2009
OVERVIEW: DARFUR AND UN ACTION'S ROLE
Sexual violence has been a prominent and devastating feature of all humanitarian conflicts, Darfur included. UN Action Against Sexual Violence in Conflict (UN Action) unites the work of 12 UN entities with the goal of ending conflict-related sexual violence. It is a concerted effort by the UN system to improve coordination and accountability, amplify programming and advocacy, and support national efforts to prevent sexual violence and respond effectively to the needs of survivors.
ACF warns of increasing scarcity in region largely ignored by international community
Juba, South Sudan-The threat of a massive food deficit in South Sudan is growing, Action Against Hunger/ACF International cautioned today.