- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin | Issue 2 | 9 – 15 January 2017
- UNICEF Sudan Humanitarian Situation Report, Dec 2016
- FEWS NET Sudan: Key Message Update, Nov 2016
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Needs Overview 2016 [EN/AR]
- Humanitarian Response Plan, Jan-Dec 2016 [EN/AR]
- Sudan El Niño Mitigation and Preparedness Plan, Feb 2016
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- UNHCR: South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan January – December 2017
- UNHCR: South Sudan Situation Supplementary Appeal January - December 2017
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2016 PDF XLS
- CHF (Common Humanitarian Fund)
- OCHA Sudan Who Does What Where Presence Dashboard
- OCHA Sudan
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- South Sudan Situation Information Sharing Portal: Sudan
- Human Security Baseline Assessment for Sudan and South Sudan (HSBA)
- Satellite Sentinel Project
- Food Security Cluster: Sudan
- Human Rights Watch: Sudan - Events of 2016
Civil Society Organizations Educate Community about Election Process
Three civil society organizations based in Central Equatoria state - Mugwo Youth Association (MUYA), Payawa Scholarship Scheme (PASS) and Kanda Ya Nini - recently conducted an event in Mugwo Payam to raise awareness about the 2010 elections. All three organizations are partners in Mercy Corps' Localizing Institutional Capacity in Southern Sudan (LINCSS) program, funded by USAID.
"We need to make sure that our community is aware.
- Admissions into selective feeding programmes: Overall admissions into Supplementary Feeding Centres (SFCs) and Therapeutic Feeding Centre/Outpatient Treatment Programme (TFC/OTP) declined across the three Darfurs, however admissions into TFC/OTPs in North and West Darfur continued to increase This unseasonal trend was attributed to broadening of the admission criteria into TFC/OTPs as well as increased number of centres in the areas, but is anticipated to decline in October/November.
- Nutrition outcomes: The results of sixteen localized nutrition surveys (7 in …
Governors' Forum provides platform for discussion
This year's UNDP supported Governors' Forum took place on 10 - 14 August at the Legislative Assembly in Juba.
Prepared by the CHF Technical Unit (OCHA) and the CHF Fund Management Unit (UNDP)
The Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) pools donor contributions into a single funding mechanism intended to address Sudan's critical humanitarian needs. Managed by the UN Humanitarian Coordinator, the Fund offers participants an opportunity to fulfil the principles of good humanitarian donorship through the provision of rapid, flexible support for priority needs, irrespective of other considerations.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Darfur Update
- Southern Sudan Update
- Eastern Sudan Update
- Annual Needs and Livelihoods Assessment
- Funding Overview/Update
DARFUR: WAITING FOR RAIN
The onset of the rainy season, ongoing conflict and insecurity, and constraints on access to people in need presented persistent challenges to the delivery of humanitarian assistance in Darfur between July and September. Filling gaps in delivery of services created by the March expulsion of 13 international NGOs and dissolution of three national NGOs remained a priority.
Hope amid the crises
Recently, good news has been in short supply. Journalists and civil society leaders continue to disappear or to be assassinated in the Russian Federation, the situation in the Caucasus remains explosive both in the north (Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia) and the south (Georgia and Nagorny-Kabarach). The crises in Darfur, Somalia and the DRC drag on.
This report covers the period from August 2008 - Sept. 2009. It includes the activities achieved by the steering committee, the head of CEWARU, visits of officials from the Headquarters (CEWARN and a brief note about the conflict southern Sudan.)
The National Early Warning and response mechanism in Sudan was established after the declaration of the early warning and response mechanism CEWARN of the IGAD countries. Since then it has been active in attending the different activities run by the CEWARN.
Welcome to the fourth issue of the Recovery and Rehabilitation Programme E-Bulletin. This monthly newsletter aims to highlight project successes while keeping development partners updated on RRP news.
The RRP is a five-year initiative (2005-2010), including four years of implementation.
Édito Journée mondiale de l'aide humanitaire : se souvenir et se mobiliser
La Journée mondiale de l'aide humanitaire était célébrée le 19 août dernier, date choisie en commémoration de l'attaque menée en 2004 contre les bureaux de l'ONU à Bagdad durant laquelle 22 personnes avaient été tuées.
Gisenyi, le 30 Septembre 2009 : La Conférence Internationale pour la Région des Grands Lacs (CIRGL), comme organisation Africaine mandatée, prend la responsabilité dans la lutte contre l'exploitation illégale des ressources naturelles dans la région des Grands Lacs.
Par une approche d'éléments multiples, la Conférence vise à rompre le lien entre l'extraction de ressources minières et la continuation de conflits armés dans la région.
Ainsi la CIRGL, en collaboration avec les onze Mécanismes de Coordination Nationale (MNC), organise du 30 Septembre au 02 Octobre 2009 …
Korab Mula (27) from Albania lost his two arms and injured both legs when he stepped on a mine and then fell on another one in June 2000. With international assistance, he was fitted with conventional prosthetic arms, but they give him problems and he cannot use them which has caused him to feel dejected and depressed. Only with more advanced electronic prostheses, which are not available in Albania, does Korab stand a realistic chance to train up for a job, and even get married.
Zinc Seen as Breakthrough Cure for Diarrhea
Sogola, Mali-Generations of residents have watched their children fall ill each rainy season with diarrhea, which kills an astonishing 1.6 million children under 5 every year, according to the World Health Organization (WHO)-more than either malaria or AIDS. It also stunts growth, and forces millions-adults and children alike-to spend weeks at a time off work or school.
But USAID, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and other groups have begun distributing zinc supplements to villagers in …
UPDATE FROM THE FIELD: DARFUR, SEPTEMBER 2009
OVERVIEW: DARFUR AND UN ACTION'S ROLE
Sexual violence has been a prominent and devastating feature of all humanitarian conflicts, Darfur included. UN Action Against Sexual Violence in Conflict (UN Action) unites the work of 12 UN entities with the goal of ending conflict-related sexual violence. It is a concerted effort by the UN system to improve coordination and accountability, amplify programming and advocacy, and support national efforts to prevent sexual violence and respond effectively to the needs of survivors.
MAG and CWMD - MAG uses the term Conventional Weapons Management and Disposal (CWMD) to more accurately reflect the approach that MAG takes with regard to dealing with the range of munitions it encounters in support of stockpile management, as in many of its projects items outside of the SALW definition are dealt with, such as aircraft bombs, large calibre artillery, mortar ammunition and rockets. The term also reflects the different roles that MAG takes on within this sector, from direct clearance activities and training to Physical Security and Stockpile Management.
MAG is …
- In September in ROS, 6,006 households were supported by the NFI Common Pipeline and 5,000 households were supported through parallel pipelines. All of the households were flood-affected in Khartoum State and supported through distributions conducted by CRS, SRCS and IPDO.
- Distributions from the NFI Common Pipeline supported 12,054 households in September with 36,410 non-food items (NFIs) and emergency shelter (ES) from the NFI Common Pipeline in Darfur.
Procesos de paz
?Se produjeron numerosas divisiones internas en los grupos armados africanos que entraban en negociación.
Se reanudaron las conversaciones sobre el futuro del Sáhara Occidental, aunque sin lograr avances.
El Gobierno de Filipinas activó los diálogos con el MILF y el NPA.
El Gobierno de Turquía inició un proceso de acercamiento con los kurdos y con el grupo armado PKK.
?El 19 de agosto se celebró el 1er Día Mundial de la Acción Humanitaria.
Somalia se enfrentó a la mayor crisis humanitaria de los últimos …
Chronic conflict, cyclical drought, floods, disease outbreaks, environmental degradation, rapid population growth, and limited government capacity present significant challenges to vulnerable populations in east and central Africa (ECA). The ECA region encompasses the Horn of Africa and the Great Lakes region, including Burundi, the Central African Republic (CAR), the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, the Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Somalia, Tanzania, and Uganda, as well as Sudan, Chad, and Egypt. In FY 2009, the U.S.
NEW YORK, 30 September 2009 - UNICEF welcomes the adoption today by the United Nations Security Council of a resolution calling for increased protection from sexual violence for women and children caught up in wars and conflict.
Sexual violence is a horrific violation of human rights and a despicable weapon of war used against women and children. Impunity for perpetrators of sexual violence must end.