- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin | Issue 49 | 28 Nov - 4 Dec 2016
- FEWS NET Sudan: Food Security Outlook Update, October 2016 to May 2017
- UNICEF Sudan Humanitarian Situation Report, October 2016
Appeals & Funding
- Humanitarian Needs Overview 2016 [EN/AR]
- Humanitarian Response Plan, Jan-Dec 2016 [EN/AR]
- Sudan El Niño Mitigation and Preparedness Plan, Feb 2016
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2016
- UNHCR: Revised South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan (Jan-Dec 2016)
- Common Humanitarian Fund (CHF) in 2016 PDF XLS
- CHF (Common Humanitarian Fund)
BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY
The court may offer the only hope for many rape victims to see justice done.
As the United Nations plans for the replacement of the African Union Mission in Darfur, Sudan (AMIS) by UN peacekeepers, lack of resources may prevent the African Union forces from maintaining and improving their capacities. Even if the Security Council passes the resolution authorizing the UN Mission in Sudan to expand to Darfur as early as this March, the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) estimates that it will take at least six to nine months for the transfer from AMIS to the UN to be completed. Many inside DPKO set the hand-over date as late as January 1, 2007.
By Jeremy Bransten
The humanitarian catastrophe in Sudan's Darfur province -- one of the world's most pressing refugee crises -- is deepening and spreading across the border to Chad.
Distrust of the United Nations and warnings of Al Qaida involvement are growing in the Sudanese capital Khartoum, the UN's envoy to the troubled African nation warned today, saying that both are linked to the uncertainty surrounding peacekeeping operations in strife-torn Darfur.
Describing the working environment for UN staff in the capital as "very difficult," Jan Pronk, the Secretary-General's Special Representative, said that "politically we are a bit in a stalemate," referring in particular to the African Union (AU) peacekeeping force in the Darfur region …
UNITED NATIONS, Feb 28, 2006 (AFP) - United Nations special envoy Jan Pronk warned here Tuesday that sending a NATO-led force to protect civilians in Sudan's troubled Darfur region would be "a recipe for disaster".
This is a summary of what was said by UNHCR spokesperson Jennifer Pagonis - to whom quoted text may be attributed - at the press briefing, on 28 February 2006, at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
A multi-agency operation to contain an outbreak of cholera and acute watery diarrhoea which have killed at least 89 people in the Juba and Yei areas of southern Sudan, is ongoing.
ADDIS ABABA, Feb 28 (Reuters) - A meeting of African Union members on whether to hand over the AU's mission in Sudan's Darfur region to the United Nations has been postponed until March 10, an AU spokesman said on Tuesday.
Too many guns in our society, say young people across the Middle East region according to a new report published today by the Middle East North Africa Network on Small Arms (MENAANSA).
- In Gaza, from January 2003 to October 2005, at least 1,258 people, including children have been injured or killed as a result of gun misuse in their communities.51.7% of the young people surveyed identified the proliferation and misuse of small arms to be their major source for insecurity.
- In Ramallah, 60% of young people surveyed believe there are too many guns in their communities.
Cleaning Up Juba
Story and photograph by Anna Kilkenny
EL GENEINA, Ouest-Darfour, 28 février (UNHCR) -- Une évolution inquiétante a été récemment observée par l'UNHCR dans la région frontalière entre le Tchad et le Soudan, en proie à des troubles : les populations traversent désormais la frontière dans les deux sens.
Ceci est un résumé des déclarations du porte-parole du HCR Jennifer Pagonis -- à qui toute citation peut être attribuée -- lors de la conférence de presse du 28 février 2006 au Palais des Nations à Genève.
JUBA, Sudan, Feb 27, 2006 (Xinhua via COMTEX) -- The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) announced here in southern Sudan on Monday that it started to implement its Recovery and Rehabilitation Program (RRP) for Sudan.