- OCHA Humanitarian Bulletin 03, 12-18 Jan 2015
- Common Humanitarian Fund Progress Report 2014
- Enough Project: Starving War, Feeding Peace - And Setting the Table for National Dialogue in Sudan
Appeals & Funding
On 14 January, a national staff member working for an international NGO was abducted in Nyala, South Darfur by armed men.
Humanitarian organisations have assessed and verified about 18,400 new IDPs in a number of locations in North Darfur.
An estimated 119,950 South Sudanese refugees have arrived in Sudan since violence erupted in South Sudan mid-December 2013, according to the UNHCR.
PRINCIPAUX PROBLÈMES HUMANITAIRES
Insécurité alimentaire et malnutrition
Au Tchad, près de 2.4 millions de personnes sont en insécurité alimentaire (20%) parmi lesquelles 428 000 personnes (3.6%) sont en situation d’insécurité alimentaire sévère. La situation nutritionnelle es t également alarmante, avec 350 000 cas de malnutrition aiguë globale attendus en 2015 pour les enfants de 6 à 59 mois, parmi lesquels 96 000 en situation de malnutrition aigüe sévère.
Mouvements de populations
HAC Blue Nile says the Governor agreed that international staff of aid organisations participate in joint needs assessments.
About 1,800 people were displaced to Yaga village near Rokoro town from the Jebel Marra area, HAC Central Darfur said.
Aid agencies verified 5,800 new IDPs from Tawila, North Darfur in Argo, Rwanda and Zamzam camps.
Close to 7 million people in Sudan are in need of humanitarian assistance. 2014 has seen a deterioration in the situation in Darfur, with more than 400,000 people newly displaced by conflict.
Fighting in South Korodfan and Blue Nile has also intensified, while the crisis in South Sudan has forced almost 110,000 refugees across the border. Food insecurity and malnutrition are major challenges across much of the country, including the relatively peaceful east. This is taking place against a backdrop of falling funding.
One year since armed conflict broke out in South Sudan, almost 5 million people are in need of immediate humanitarian assistance. More than 1.4 million people are internally displaced and almost 480,000 South Sudanese have sought refuge in neighbouring countries.
● The 2015 Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP) aims to reach 4.1 million people with humanitarian assistance.
● Roads around the country are beginning to dry out. The latest road access map is available here: http://bit. ly/1Ks0Blm
4.1 million People to be assisted by the end of 2015
2.5 million People facing crisis/emergency levels of food insecurity
1.5 million People internally displaced by conflict since December 2013
• Fighting has forced civilians to flee their homes in 44 villages in North Darfur’s Tawila locality.
• Memorandum of Understanding between the Governments of Sudan and South Sudan on the movement of humanitarian aid to South Sudan extended for another six-months.
• WFP and IOM plan biometric registration for new IDPs in Korma, El Sireaf and Mellit towns in North Darfur.
• According to FEWS NET, it is estimated that the 2014/15 national production will be 50 per cent above the five-year average.
Donor contributions are monetary donations provided by Governments and the private sector. This mechanism gives them the opportunity to pool their unearmarked contributions to a specific country. With these pooled donations, CBPFs offer rapid and flexible financing instruments to scale up humanitarian operations, increase humanitarian access, and strengthen our partnerships with local and international NGOs and UN agencies. This complements the overall humanitarian response based on affected people's needs identified under country-specific strategic response plans.
Mohamed Bana fondly remembers life before his home, Blue Nile State, erupted in violence.
“During the harvest season, our village would come to life,” he says. “We used to work hard in the fields and cultivate various crops and vegetables. I used to have a small flock of sheep and goats.
Read the full story on OCHA
Government of Sudan declared the UN Resident Coordinator/Humanitarian Coordinator and the UNDP Country Director as persona non grata
Areas in the north of the Abyei area lack basic services including water, healthcare, education and civil infrastructure
The yellow fever vaccination campaign has reached an estimated 4.8 million people in Sudan.
DFID gives US$17.7 million to WFP humanitarian operations in Sudan.
Displaced people in Sudan 3.1 million
L’écart entre les besoins humanitaires et les ressources disponibles pour y répondre continue de croître. Ce document énonce les appels inter-agences qui demandent 16,4 milliards de dollars en 2015 pour aider 57,5 millions de personnes à travers 22 pays.
• UNHCR, signs a MoU with the Government of Sudan on the registration and documentation of South Sudanese citizens in Sudan.
• Three UNAMID peacekeepers injured in an ambush in East Darfur.
• The number of South Sudanese refugees in Sudan stands at 115,451 as of 18 December 2014, according to UNHCR.
• Donors contribute some $4 million towards the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Sudan.
Displaced people in Sudan 2.9 million
IDPs in Darfur (to date) 2.4 million
One year after the cycle of violence reached Bangui, more appropriate and immediate solutions are needed for CAR’s complex humanitarian crisis.
An outbreak of violence in Bambari caused many casualties.
A joint mission met with armed groups in the Boali region to discuss access issues and constraints. Groups were sensitized on humanitarian principles and the need for unhindered humanitarian access.
• UNHCR has registered 115,572 South Sudanese refugees in Sudan.
• HAC estimates that 14,000 people are reportedly displaced and may require humanitarian aid in West Kordofan following intra-communal violence in late November.
• Dengue fever cases in North Darfur have reached 132, including three deaths.
• The People with Special Needs (PWSN) project is targeting an estimated 15,000 people in North Darfur with assistance in 2014.
Displaced people in Sudan 2.9 million