Increasing Israeli-Palestinian tensions culminated in Israel launching "Operation Protective Edge" in Gaza in early July (see our latest report and commentary). The assault, which started as an aerial campaign and was later extended to include ground operations, reportedly killed more than 1,400 Palestinians throughout the month while 64 Israelis were killed in clashes inside the Gaza Strip and by Hamas rocket fire. Several attempts at reaching a ceasefire agreement failed in July.
Strategic Response Plans in the MENA region received US$ 1.216 billion, the largest recipient
was Syria, with US$ 593 million, followed by Afghanistan with US$ 241 million. In total, the appeals
and SRPs are 30.6% funded with a 69.4% shortfall.
The Syrian Humanitarian Response Plan (SHARP) and the Regional Response Plan for Syrian
Refugees (RRP) jointly requested US$ 6.5 billion. The total amount received is US$ 1.9 billion
(30%), which leaves a total shortfall of US$ 4.6 billion (70%).
UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs:
During May, several Desert Locust (SGR1) swarms from northwestern Somalia invaded eastern Ethiopia. On May 14th, an immature swarm dominated the sky over the city of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (see picture below). This is an extremely rare phenomenon that has not been in more than half a century. The swarm is believed to have escaped from eastern Ethiopia passing through the Rift Valley and crossing Awash where it destroyed a sugarcane plantation. No damage was reported in Addis and the swarm was later seen heading northwest and reached Gojjam.
La situation relative au Criquet pèlerin s’est améliorée en mars le long des deux rives de la mer Rouge suite aux opérations de lutte et au dessèchement des conditions. Néanmoins, il subsiste un risque que des groupes d’ailés et peut-être quelques petits essaims puissent se déplacer dans les aires de reproduction printanière de l’intérieur de l’Arabie saoudite et du Yémen, où une reproduction est possible.
The Desert Locust (SGR1) situation remained active in February in the central outbreak region on the Red Sea coasts and the Horn of Africa. Aerial and/or ground control treated hoppers and swarms on some 50,000 ha in Saudi Arabia, Eritrea, Sudan, Yemen and northern Somalia. Other countries in the region remained calm during this month (DLCO-EA2 , DLMCC/Yemen, FAO-DLIS,
The Desert Locust situation remained serious along both sides of the Red Sea during February as outbreaks continued in Eritrea, Yemen, Saudi Arabia and, to a lesser extent, in Sudan and northern Somalia, where hopper bands, groups and swarms formed.
The Desert Locust (SGR1) situation remained active on the Red Sea coasts in January where breeding continued and hoppers and swarms were reported in several places in Eritrea, Sudan, Saudi Arabia and Yemen during this month.
Many people who are displaced, or become ‘trapped’, in the context of diverse humanitarian crises do not fit well within existing legal, policy and operational frameworks for the protection of refugees and IDPs.
La situation relative au Criquet pèlerin est restée préoccupante en janvier le long des deux rives de la mer Rouge où la reproduction continuait en Érythrée, au Yémen, en Arabie saoudite et, dans une moindre mesure, au Soudan, entraînant la formation de bandes larvaires et d’essaims.