- Protection Cluster Quarterly Bulletin KP/ FATA, Jan–Mar 2016
- UNDP: Seismic design in Pakistan: the building code, bylaws, and recommendations for earthquake risk reduction
- Govt. Pakistan: Preparation for Monsoon 2016
Appeals & Funding
- Pakistan 2015 Humanitarian Preparedness Plan (23 Jul 2015)
- Emergency Response Fund (ERF) in 2016 PDF XLS
Pakistan faced an enormous humanitarian crisis in Malakand division (North-West Frontier Province) and the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) triggered by fierce fighting between Government security forces and militants. While the hostilities were on-going since August 2008, it gained intensity from May 2009.
Period covered by this Operations Update: 4 December 2009 to 20 March 2010 Appeal target (current): CHF 3,635,713 (USD 3.58 million or EUR 2.4 million);
Appeal coverage: 98%
- A Revised Emergency Appeal was launched on 13 November 2009 for CHF 3,635,713 (USD 3.58 million or EUR 2.4 million) to support the Pakistan Red Crescent (PRCS) in assisting 42,000 people (6,000 families) until March 2010.
- The emergency appeal budget was revised down to CHF 7,974,802 on 6 July 2009 to assist 91,000 displaced people (13,000 families).
- Emergency Appeal was launched on …
Appeal Target: US$ 1,916,904
Balance Requested: US$ 1,771,904
This appeal is launched to follow-on from the response by ACT members to assist people amongst over 1.8 million women, men and children displaced by conflict in 2009 (including ACT appeal PAK091), now with a focus on enabling the long-term recovery process for returnees and those who stayed behind during the fighting in their places of origin in the Swat and Buner Districts of the North West Frontier Province (NWFP).
- At least 6 million primary school-age children are out of school and 42% have never gone to schools.
- At least 188 schools have been destroyed in the conflict in Malakand (NWFP), 70% of these are girls' schools.
The Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act of 2009 authorizes democratic, economic, and development assistance to Pakistan in the amount of $1.5 billion per year from FY 2010 to FY 2014, for a total of $7.5 billion.
Table of contents
FAO support to address socio-economic roots of conflict in Philippines' province - 1
New FAO regional chief - 3
International rice prices remain flat on low demand - 3
A new livestock revolution for food and livelihood security - 4
List of boxes 1:
Poultry production and rural livelihoods in China - 5
2: The dairy sector and rural livelihoods in India - 6
List of figures
1: Selected international cereal prices - 1
2: Trends in domestic prices for key commodities in selected countries - 2
3: Increase in output of …
Even before Pakistan's deadly earthquake in October 2005, the task of inspiring students to learn was not easy for teachers in the remote and rugged northern region of Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK).
On 18 January, the United Nations Emergency Relief Coordinator, John Holmes, allocated nearly US$100 million through the Under-funded window of the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF). This is emergency money to plug critical gaps in funding to life-saving humanitarian interventions.
Of this allocation, agencies working in Afghanistan received $11 million, while the UN country team in Yemen received $7 million.
By Our Reporter
The donation will help the WFP procure 12,000 tons food produced and processed in Pakistan. The Japanese contribution is believed to benefit 1.6 million people.
Insufficient funding threatens to compromise WFP's ability to implement its assistance plans.
Denied an education herself, one local woman works tirelessly for her local school with USAID support
Gul Laila, a resident of Dharian Bambian, Pakistan, can't read or write, but she still arrives at the local school early every morning.
LAHORE, 31 March 2010 (IRIN) - The Urdu expression 'chaddar aur chardawari' is often quoted in Pakistan to suggest that women are safest under their shawl ('chaddar') and within the four walls ('chardawari') of their home.
This may hold true for many women, but for some, such as 25-year-old Naseeba Bibi, it could not be further from the truth.
Naseeba said she had suffered continual abuse from her husband since they got married six years ago in Kasur, about 55km southeast of Lahore, Punjab Province.
"My husband is jobless and a drug addict.
ISLAMABAD, March 30 (Xinhua) -- A Chinese embassy official Tuesday called on an official of the Pakistan Red Crescent Society (PRCS) to donate 30,000 U.S.
USAID's Chief Operating Officer Visits Northern Sri Lanka
From March 15 to 19, USAID's Chief Operating Officer Alonzo Fulgham, along with USAID/Sri Lanka director Rebecca Cohn, USAID/Sri Lanka office director of Humanitarian Assistance and Transition Initiatives Mike Desisti, and USAID/OFDA principal regional advisor (PRA) for South Asia Bill Berger, traveled to Kilinochchi, Jaffna, and Vavuniya districts in northern Sri Lanka for a first-hand look at the country's post-conflict situation.
The EU Food Facility
In order to combat rising food prices and improve the food security for over 1 million people in food-deficient areas of Pakistan a joint project of FAO and WFP worth EUR 40 million has been launched.
- FOCUS: Relief work in Haiti
- ACTED committed to economic development to prevent emigration (Afghanistan)
- ACTED helps vulnerable populations to overcome the winter season (Tajikistan)
- Moving On: Lives in Transition (Pakistan)
- Fishing resumes in the Gaza Strip (oPT)
- Addressing the water challenge in …
- As of 25 March, 2010, 71 581 families
or 542 556 people are living with host communities in Dera Ismail Khan,
Tank, Hangu and Kohat Districts of North West Frontier Province (NWFP).
- 305 269 families or 1 946 797 people are living outside camps with host communities in Mardan, Swabi, Charssada, Nowshera, Peshawar Abbotabad, Haripur, Mansehra and Battagram districts of NWFP.
Successful End of Canadian-Backed Training Project Wraps Up Habitat's Current Activities in Pakistan
BANGKOK 30TH MARCH 2010: Habitat for Humanity Pakistan has completed a highly successful project to assist families whose homes were damaged or destroyed by the 7.6 magnitude earthquake that struck northwestern Pakistan and neighboring counties in October 2005.
Funded through donations from HFH Canada and CIDA, the Canadian government's international development agency, the Pakistan Earthquake Reconstruction Initiative was the centerpiece of Habitat's work in …
PESHAWAR, Pakistan - Taliban militants set fire to a boys' school Tuesday in northwest Pakistan nearly a year after the military launched a major assault to evict Islamist fighters from the area, police said.
The arson attack took place in Maidan town of Lower Dir, where residents took up arms to fight against militants fleeing a military offensive designed to crush Taliban insurgents last year.
The villagers saw the flames after waking up for pre-dawn prayers.