- Yemen: The UNHCR Representative in his capacity as the Humanitarian Coordinator (HC) undertook a day mission to Aden on 26 July where he witnessed the devastation caused by the conflict.
Departures from Yemen
GENEVA, Aug 4 (UNHCR) – Almost 100,000 people have fled Yemen since conflict erupted there in late March, but the UN refugee agency warned on Tuesday that its regional response to help receiving countries cope with the outflow was seriously hampered by under-funding.
UNHCR said that overall only one-fifth of its funding needs had been met. In Somalia, where over 28,000 people have arrived, just five percent of the required funding, estimated at US $64 million, has been received.
The humanitarian pause scheduled to start on 10 July did not take effect; airstrikes and ground fighting continue across the country. Partial food rations have been distributed in Kharaz refugee camp, WFP still unable to transport additional food to the camp. For the first time since the beginning of the conflict, UNHCR’s partner Al Amal was able to distribute NFIs to 3,377 individuals in Sa’ada governorate.
- In Yemen:
The Humanitarian Country Team (HCT) confirmed that as of July 6 there are 1,267,590 IDPs in Yemen.
On 4 July, 12 refugees were killed and several injured when a rocket hit the UNHCRsupported Al Tadamon Kindergarten in Aden, where they had taken shelter.
The HCT endorsed the Guidance Note on the Emergency Response to Internal Displacement in Yemen, stipulating the main programming principles and priorities for the humanitarian response.
Situation Générale en juin 2015, Prévision jusqu'à ’mi-août 2015
La situation relative au Criquet pèlerin est restée calme en juin. De bonnes pluies et au moins deux générations seront nécessaires pour que les effectifs augment cet été dans les aires de reproduction estivale traditionnelles du Sahel septentrional d'Afrique de l'ouest et du Soudan ainsi que de part et d'autre de la frontière indo-pakistanaise.
Mexico - Tropical Depression THREE
• Tropical Depression THREE formed in the eastern Pacific Ocean, off the coasts of Oaxaca and Guerrero states, on 10 June.
• On 11 June, at 9.00 UTC, its approximate centre was 410km of Acapulco in Guerrero.
• Over the next 48h, THREE is forecast to intensify significantly. It is expected to move north-west and then turn north-northeast, towards Oaxaca and Guerrero.
• Very heavy rainfall and strong winds may affect the southern states of Mexico, particularly Guerrero, Oaxaca and Chiapas, on 11 June.
• ASHOBAA is moving west, towards the coast of the South Ash Sharqiyah governorate (pop. 260 000) of Oman. On 10 June, at 6.00 UTC, its centre was located approx. 250 km east of Sharkh and it had max. sustained winds of 101 km/h.
• It is forecast to approach the coast of South Ash Sharqiyah governorate in the afternoon of 11 June, with max. sustained winds of 90-100 km/h; then it will move inland, weakening.
First time pledge will enable Gavi to reach children with life-saving vaccines
Geneva, 28 May 2015 – The Government of the Sultanate of Oman today committed US$ 3 million to Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance - the first time Oman has provided funds to help Gavi reach children with vaccines in the world’s poorest countries.
Situation Générale en mai 2015, Prévision jusqu'à ’mi-juillet 2015
La situation relative au Criquet pèlerin est restée calme en mai. Aucune reproduction significative n'a eu lieu cette année dans les aires de reproduction printanière de l'Afrique du nord ouest, de la péninsule arabique et de l’Asie du sud-ouest, ou la végétation a continue a se dessécher.
General Situation during May 2015 Forecast until mid-July 2015
The Desert Locust situation remained calm during May. No significant breeding occurred this year in the spring breeding areas of Northwest Africa, the Arabian Peninsula and Southwest Asia where vegetation continues to dry out. During the forecast period, low numbers of solitarious adults are likely to appear in parts of the vast summer breeding areas in the northern Sahel, stretching from Mauritania to western Eritrea as well as along both sides of the Indo-Pakistan border.
Child stunting and other indicators underscore serious challenges to food and nutrition security in the region
Manama, Bahrain, May 5, 2015—Child stunting, a result of malnutrition, is a larger problem than gross domestic product would suggest in nine Arab countries, while the Arab region as a whole imports more than 50 percent of its population’s daily caloric intake.
1 Strategic Response Plans in the MENA region received US$ 2.1 billion. The largest recipient was Syria, with US$ 1.08 billion, followed by Iraq with US$ 851.6 million. In total, the appeals and SRPs are 32.9% funded with a 67.1% shortfall.
2 The Syrian Humanitarian Response Plan (SHARP) and the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) jointly requested US$ 6.79 billion. The total amount received is US$ 1.18 billion (17.3%), which leaves a total shortfall of US$ 5.62 billion (82.7%).
Situation Générale en février 2015 Prévision jusqu'à ’mi-avril 2015
La situation relative au Criquet pèlerin est restée préoccupante en février le long de la cote de la mer Rouge, au Soudan et en Érythrée, où des opérations de lutte ont été réalisées contre un grand nombre de bandes larvaires, groupes d’ailes et essaims.
Situation Générale en janvier 2015 Prévision jusqu'à’mi-mars 2015