1 Strategic Response Plans in the MENA region received US$ 2.1 billion. The largest recipient was Syria, with US$ 1.08 billion, followed by Iraq with US$ 851.6 million. In total, the appeals and SRPs are 32.9% funded with a 67.1% shortfall.
2 The Syrian Humanitarian Response Plan (SHARP) and the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) jointly requested US$ 6.79 billion. The total amount received is US$ 1.18 billion (17.3%), which leaves a total shortfall of US$ 5.62 billion (82.7%).
Situation Générale en février 2015 Prévision jusqu'à ’mi-avril 2015
La situation relative au Criquet pèlerin est restée préoccupante en février le long de la cote de la mer Rouge, au Soudan et en Érythrée, où des opérations de lutte ont été réalisées contre un grand nombre de bandes larvaires, groupes d’ailes et essaims.
Situation Générale en janvier 2015 Prévision jusqu'à’mi-mars 2015
General Situation during January 2015 Forecast until mid-March 2015
Support puts Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance on the path to immunise a further 300 million children and save up to 6 million more lives
Berlin, 27 January 2015 – Hundreds of millions of children living in the world’s poorest countries will receive life-saving vaccines as a result of record-breaking financial commitments made today at the Gavi Pledging Conference, hosted in Berlin by German Federal Chancellor Angela Merkel.
General Situation during December 2014 Forecast until mid-February 2015
The Desert Locust (SGR1 ) situation deteriorated along the Red Sea coast in the central outbreak region during November. Aerial and ground operations treated swarms and groups of adults and hoppers on close to 83,000 ha in Sudan during this month. A few adult locusts were detected on the Gulf of Aden & the Red Sea coastal plains in Yemen the last week of November. No locusts were reported in Ethiopia, Oman or Somalia and no reports were received from Eritrea or Saudi Arabia during this period (DLCO-EA, DLMCC/Yemen, LCC/Oman, PPD/Sudan).
General Situation during November 2014 Forecast until January 2015
| Overview |
The massive displacement of people from and inside the Syrian Arab Republic (Syria) as a consequence of the unrelenting conflict in that country has dominated concerns regionally and internationally, threatening the social, political and economic balance of the neighbouring countries hosting Syrian refugees. Despite the lack of prospects for a short-term resolution of the situation, Jordan, Iraq and Lebanon have demonstrated great generosity in welcoming the Syrian refugees and assisting them.
As per Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD), the deep depression formed over central western parts of Arabian Sea has converted into a Tropical Cyclone (TC) and named as 04A (Nilofar) which may further intensify into a severe Tropical Cyclone during the next 36-48 hours. TC is now located at Lat. 14.5 N and Long. 62.0 E, about 1250 kms south-southwest from Karachi, 1175 km south from Gwadar, 730 Km southeast from Masirah Island and 880 Km east-southeast from Salalah coast (Oman).
The Desert Locust (SGR1 ) situation remained calm in September in summer breeding areas in the western outbreak region. Only a few adults and hoppers were reported in Mauritania, Niger and Chad. A similar situation may be present in northern Mali where surveys were not possible.
Algeria, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia remained calm during this month.
The Tsunami Warning System established under the auspices of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO in the Indian Ocean following the December 2004 disaster is functioning effectively. This was demonstrated in a simulation exercise conducted on 9 and 10 September 2014, with the participation of 24 countries of the Indian Ocean Rim*.
According to the preliminary results of the simulated alert, all of the participating countries received timely tsunami advisory messages, and no delays were reported.
Ten years after the strongest tsunami in living memory in 2004, 24 countries of the Indian Ocean Rim* will participate in a large scale simulation exercise organized under the auspices of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO on 9 and 10 September to test the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System. The goal is to measure the capacity and response times of the various stakeholders involved to address such rare but potentially destructive events.
Strategic Response Plans in the MENA region received US$ 1.74 billion, the largest recipient was Syria, with US$ 692 million, followed by Palestine with US$ 271 million. In total, the appeals and SRPs are 40.1% funded with a 59.9% shortfall. Iraq SRP was over funded by 81.2%.
The Syrian Humanitarian Response Plan (SHARP) and the Regional Response Plan for Syrian Refugees (RRP) jointly requested US$ 6.02 billion. The total amount received is US$ 2.41 billion (40%), which leaves a total shortfall of US$ 3.61 billion (60%).
Strategic Response Plans in the MENA region received US$ 1.216 billion, the largest recipient was Syria, with US$ 593 million, followed by Afghanistan with US$ 241 million. In total, the appeals and SRPs are 30.6% funded with a 69.4% shortfall.
The Syrian Humanitarian Response Plan (SHARP) and the Regional Response Plan for Syrian Refugees (RRP) jointly requested US$ 6.5 billion. The total amount received is US$ 1.9 billion (30%), which leaves a total shortfall of US$ 4.6 billion (70%).
Swarms in Yemen
The Desert Locust situation is improving in the Horn of Africa, Oman and Iran but swarms have recently been sighted in Yemen.
During May, several Desert Locust (SGR1) swarms from northwestern Somalia invaded eastern Ethiopia. On May 14th, an immature swarm dominated the sky over the city of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (see picture below). This is an extremely rare phenomenon that has not been in more than half a century. The swarm is believed to have escaped from eastern Ethiopia passing through the Rift Valley and crossing Awash where it destroyed a sugarcane plantation. No damage was reported in Addis and the swarm was later seen heading northwest and reached Gojjam.