- OCHA Flash Update - Influx of Refugees Returning to North-East Nigeria from Cameroon - Update No. 2 (25 May 2017)
- OCHA Nigeria - Nigeria – North-East: Humanitarian Emergency Situation Report No. 11 , 15 May 2017
- WFP Nigeria Situation Report #13, 01-15 May 2017
Appeals & Funding
- 2017 Humanitarian Needs Overview
- 2017 Humanitarian Response Plan
- 2017 Sahel - Overview of humanitarian needs and requirements EN FR
- 2017 Lake Chad Basin Humanitarian Needs and Requirement Overview EN FR
- Nigeria Regional Refugee Response Plan (RRRP): Jan-Dec 2017
- Lake Chad Basin crisis: Response strategy (2017–2019)
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
- IOM Humanitarian Compendium
- Nigeria Humanitarian Fund - Info sheet (March 2017)
- Business Guide: North-East Nigeria, South Sudan, Yemen and Somalia: Prevent Famine and Support Response
• WFP provides assistance to 1.1 million people in Nigeria’s Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe states in April amid funding constraints
• UN leadership advocates for increased donor support to the Nigeria humanitarian response
• Nigerian authorities secure the release of 82 girls from Boko Haram in Borno
• Government of Niger declares a hepatitis E outbreak in Diffa
La population totale de réfugiés et demandeurs d’asile est passée de 397,628 en Mars 2017 à 400,264 personnes en Avril 2017. Ceci représente une augmentation globale de 2,636 personnes composées principalement de nouveaux nés (886) et de new arrivals et In-Situ (1216). Le nombre de regularisation reste faible.
The purpose of the present document is to respond to recommendations from the Regional Protection Working Group (RPWG) 1 in Dakar in April 2016. The RPWG suggested producing a document on typology of the movements and developing a tool to help identify voluntariness of return in the Lake Chad Basin.
Switzerland - IOM, the UN Migration Agency reports that 53,386 migrants and refugees entered Europe by sea in 2017 through 10 May, with nearly 85 percent arriving in Italy and the remainder divided between Greece, Cyprus and Spain. This compares with last year’s 187,970 arrivals across the region through 10 May 2016.
IOM Rome said, through 10 May, nearly 8,000 migrants or refugees have arrived in Italy, or nearly 1,000 men, women and children per day, a pace considerably ahead of both May 2015 and 2016. (See chart below).
285.0 M required for 2017
71.8 M contributions received, representing 25% of requirements
213.2 M funding gap for West Africa
Formal remittances to developing countries were estimated to have exceeded USD 601 billion in 2015,6 an amount roughly three times larger than overseas development assistance (ODA). They provide a lifeline for some of the world’s most vulnerable and low income households, both by contributing to basic needs such as food, health care, education and housing, and by helping to manage external shocks and fluctuations in income.
More than 20 million people in Nigeria, South Sudan, Somalia and Yemen are experiencing famine or a credible risk thereof over the coming six months. To avert a humanitarian catastrophe in the four countries, humanitarian operations require more than US$6.3 billion in 2017. Of this amount $4.9 billion is urgently needed for life-saving assistance in the key areas of food security, health, nutrition, and water, sanitation and hygiene, as these are key sectors of famine response and prevention.
53,386 arrivals by sea in 2017 1,309 dead/missing published 09:00 CET 12 May 363,401 arrivals in 2016
Recent seasonal rainfall helps partially alleviate abnormal dryness in East Africa
Despite rainfall during early March, significant long-term moisture deficits remain throughout central and eastern Madagascar due to very poor rains earlier in the season.
Inconsistent rainfall since late December have led to moisture deficits and deteriorating ground conditions across many parts of western Angola.
By Chagmion Antoine
No one should ever have to choose between starving to death and exposure to HIV, however millions of women and children struggling to survive in the drought-stricken countries of southern Africa aren’t being given a choice.
Read the full story here
Baga Sola (UNHCR) - L’Agence des Nations Unies pour les réfugiés, le HCR, a, par l’entremise de son partenaire de mise en œuvre, la Croix rouge tchadienne (CRT), alloué du matériel de pêche à trois groupements de pêcheurs réfugiés et tchadiens.
169.9 M required for 2017
32.5 M contributions received, representing 19% of requirements
137.4 M funding gap for the Nigeria Situation
All figures are displayed in USD
TRUST FUND FOR STABILITY AND ADDRESSING ROOT CAUSES OF IRREGULAR MIGRATION AND DISPLACED PERSONS IN AFRICA
Despite governments' and partners' efforts, the food security and nutrition situation is still alarming in the Lake Chad Basin (Niger-Nigeria-Chad) and in the north of Mali, where 5 million people are classified in Crisis, Emergency and Famine (CH phase 3, 4 and 5).