Toggle text

Mali + 8 others
Sahel Crisis 2014: Funding Status as of 15 April 2014

UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs:

To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.

Toggle text

Nigeria admits most kidnapped schoolgirls still missing

04/18/2014 15:32 GMT

MAIDUGURI, April 18, 2014 (AFP) - The Nigerian military admitted on Friday that most of the 129 girls kidnapped by Boko Haram Islamists in a shocking school raid in the volatile northeast remained missing, amid fears the girls might be used as human shields or sex slaves.

The military had claimed on Wednesday that all but eight of the girls snatched from their school in the state of Borno managed to escape the gunmen's clutches, contrary to comments by the state government and the school principal.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

World + 13 others
Global Weather Hazards Summary April 18-24, 2014

Continued moisture deficits likely to harm crop and pastoral conditions in Angola

Africa Weather Hazards

  1. Poorly distributed seasonal rainfall since February has led to deteriorating ground conditions in western Angola. As seasonal rains are expected to decline this month, these long-term moisture deficits are likely to negatively impact crop and pastoral conditions for many areas.

Toggle text

115 Nigeria schoolgirls still missing after kidnap: principal

04/17/2014 19:12 GMT

MAIDUGURI, April 17, 2014 (AFP) - A Nigerian school principal on Thursday denied military reports that most of the girls kidnapped by Islamist gunmen were now safe, as parents continued a desperate search for more than 100 children still held captive.

A defence ministry spokesman, Chris Olukolade, claimed on Wednesday that all but eight of the 129 girls kidnapped from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok area of Borno state earlier in the week were now safe, citing the school's principal.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

Joint statement on the abduction of school girls in Borno State, Nigeria

(New York) We are extremely concerned by the recent abduction of some 100, 12 to 17-year-old girls who were taken from their school hostel in Chibok, Borno State, in Nigeria on the night of 14th April. Attacks against the liberty of children and the targeting of schools are prohibited under international law and cannot be justified under any circumstances.

We urge those who are responsible for their abduction to release them unharmed, and return them safely to their families, where they rightfully belong.

Toggle text

At least seven killed in eastern Nigeria violence: police

04/17/2014 13:54 GMT

KANO, April 17, 2014 (AFP) - At least seven people were killed in ethnic and religious violence in eastern Nigeria's Taraba state, police said Thursday, with local residents putting the toll at 20.

Violence erupted in the town of Wukari on Tuesday through Wednesday when Christian Jukun gunmen attacked their Muslim Hausa-Fulani neighbours in a reprisal attack following fighting in a nearby village, state police spokesman Joseph Kwaji told AFP.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

Equatorial Guinea + 19 others
Polio this week - as of 16 April 2014

  • In central Africa, a new wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) case was reported in Equatorial Guinea. In total, three cases have now been reported from the country; genetic sequencing indicates the cases are linked to an ongoing WPV1 outbreak in Cameroon. Outbreak response in the country is currently being planned.

Toggle text

Kidnapped Nigeria girls taken to Islamist stronghold

04/16/2014 21:54 GMT

MAIDUGURI, April 16, 2014 (AFP) - The Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram were taken to a stronghold of the Islamist group, parents said on Wednesday, as the military confirmed that 129 students had been abducted.

Defence spokesman Chris Olukolade, who had earlier given the figure of those kidnapped in northeastern Borno state late Monday, later said all but eight had been released, but that was disputed by sources in the region and could not be independently confirmed.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

Climate Prediction Center’s Africa Hazards Outlook April 17 – April 23, 2014

  • Significantly heavy amounts of rainfall are expected to worsen flooding conditions across eastern Tanzania.

1) Poorly distributed seasonal rainfall since February has led to deteriorating ground conditions in western Angola. As seasonal rains are expected to decline this month, these long-term moisture deficits are likely to negatively impact crop and pastoral conditions for many areas.

Toggle text

UNICEF calls for immediate release of abducted school girls in Chibok, Borno State, Nigeria

Statement attributable to Manuel Fontaine, UNICEF Regional Director for West and Central Africa

DAKAR, Senegal/NEW YORK/GENEVA, 16 April 2014 - UNICEF condemns in the strongest possible terms the reported abduction of some 100 school girls between 12 and 17 years old from their school hostel in Chibok Borno State on Monday night, and calls for their immediate and unconditional release.

Toggle text

Cameroon + 3 others
Fears in Cameroon of Boko Haram recruitment

Report
IRIN

Nigeria’s extremist Islamist group Boko Haram are believed to be actively recruiting fighters across the border in Cameroon’s Far North Region, according to residents and local government officials.

IRIN:

A selection of IRIN reports are posted on ReliefWeb. Find more IRIN news and analysis at http://www.irinnews.org

Une sélection d'articles d'IRIN sont publiés sur ReliefWeb. Trouvez d'autres articles et analyses d'IRIN sur http://www.irinnews.org

This article does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies. Refer to the IRIN copyright page for conditions of use.

Cet article ne reflète pas nécessairement les vues des Nations Unies. Voir IRIN droits d'auteur pour les conditions d'utilisation.

Toggle text

Cameroon + 2 others
UNICEF Cameroon Humanitarian Situation Report, March 31, 2014

Highlights

UNICEF continues to be engaged in providing humanitarian response in four regions of Cameroon – Far North, North, Adamoua and East – which have been facing recurring emergencies such as increased food insecurity after the dry season, widespread epidemics like Cholera and Meningitis, and floods), and the continued influx of refugees from CAR and Nigeria.

Toggle text

Nigeria capital beefs up security after deadly bombing

04/15/2014 15:27 GMT

by Ola Awoniyi

ABUJA, April 15, 2014 (AFP) - Nigerian police boosted security across Abuja on Tuesday after a bomb blast ripped through a packed bus station killing at least 75 people, the deadliest attack ever to hit the capital.

Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu, who visited some major hospitals in Abuja where the wounded are being treated, gave a new death toll of 75, three higher than the previous toll.

Another 141 people were wounded in the blast, he said -- lower than the figure released Monday.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

Nigeria + 6 others
West and Central Africa Region: Weekly Regional Humanitarian Snapshot, 8– 14 April 2014

CAMEROON
7,000 NEW ARRIVALS FROM CAR
The influx of refugees from CAR continues with some 7,000 arrivals since the previous week. The number of entry points increased following violence near the former main crossings at Garoua Boulai and Kenzou. Many refugees arrive exhausted and with injuries. In 2014, Cameroon has received almost 70,000 CAR refugees.

UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs:

To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit http://unocha.org/.

Toggle text

Islamists abduct more than 100 girls from Nigeria school

04/16/2014 01:41 GMT

MAIDUGURI, April 16, 2014 (AFP) - Heavily armed Boko Haram Islamists kidnapped more than 100 girls from a school in northeast Nigeria, sparking a search by soldiers to track down the attackers, a security source and witnesses said Tuesday.

The unprecedented mass abduction in Borno state came hours after a bomb blast ripped through a crowded bus station on the outskirts of Abuja, killing 75 people, the deadliest attack ever in Nigeria's capital.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

World + 39 others
Global Emergency Overview Snapshot 8 – 15 April

The Global Overview collates information from a range of sources and displays it in a manner that allows for quick comparison of different humanitarian crises.

Toggle text

Escalating Communal Violence: Hundreds Killed Since December in North Central Region

(Abuja, April 15, 2014) – Escalating violence across five states in central Nigeria has killed more than 1,000 people since December 2013, Human Rights Watch said today. The failure of Nigerian authorities to investigate the attacks or bring those responsible to justice is likely to exacerbate the cycle of violence in the conflict-prone north central region.

Human Rights Watch:



© Copyright, Human Rights Watch 350 Fifth Avenue, 34th Floor New York, NY 10118-3299 USA

Toggle text

UN Secretary-General ‘shocked and saddened’ by deadly Nigeria bus bombing

Report
UN News Service

14 April 2014 – Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today voiced his shock and sadness after a bomb attack at a bus station near the Nigerian capital of Abuja claimed dozens of lives, and called for the perpetrators to be brought to justice.

More than 70 people have reportedly been killed in the bombing, which took place as commuters were about to board buses and taxis to go to work in the capital. Over 100 people are said to be injured in the attack.

Toggle text

Bomb attack kills 71 at bus station near Nigeria capital

04/15/2014 01:54 GMT

by Ola Awoniyi

ABUJA, April 15, 2014 (AFP) - Seventy-one people died in a bomb blast in a packed bus station in Nigeria's capital Abuja on Monday -- the deadliest attack yet to strike the city -- with the president blaming the explosion on Boko Haram Islamists.

The bomb, which also injured 124 people, rocked the Nyanya station on Abuja's southern outskirts at 6:45 am (0545 GMT) as it was filled with morning commuters, leaving body parts scattered across the terminal and destroying dozens of vehicles.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

At least 60 killed by suspected Islamists in Nigeria

04/14/2014 02:13 GMT

KANO, April 14, 2014 (AFP) - Suspected Boko Haram Islamists on Sunday killed at least 60 people in Nigeria's troubled northeastern Borno state close to the border with Cameroon, a local official said.

"The attackers, who are no doubt Boko Haram insurgents, attacked Amchaka and nearby villages this morning, hurling IEDs (improvised explosive devices) into homes and setting them on fire," Baba Shehu Gulumba, a government administrator in Bama district, told AFP.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.