- OCHA West and Central Africa: Humanitarian Bulletin November 2014 EN/FR
- FEWS NET Security Alert, 17 Nov 2014
- UNICEF Humanitarian Situation Report - October 2014
Appeals & Funding
WASHINGTON, December 18, 2014—The World Bank Group’s Board of Executive Directors today approved US$170.2 million for women and adolescent girls to expand their access to reproductive, child and maternal health services in five countries in Africa’s Sahel region and the Economic Community of Western African States (ECOWAS).
The Sahel Women’s Empowerment and Demographic Dividend Project will also help promote regional knowledge and data on proven gender development programs.
Les déficits céréaliers localises accentuent l’insécurité alimentaire
Les déficits céréaliers consécutifs à l’échec des cultures pluviales dans le centre sud du pays et à la baisse des flux transfrontaliers ont intensifié le recours des ménages pauvres de l’ouest de la Zone agropastorale et du centre de la Vallée du Fleuve Sénégal, au marché pour se nourrir, alors que leurs revenus saisonniers ont accusé de fortes baisses.
• Mauritania continues to suffer from a multi-dimensional crisis related to food insecurity, the high prevalence of malnutrition, the presence of Malian refugees.
• From January to December 2014, as a result of the food insecurity and nutrition crisis, over 16,684 severely malnourished children were admitted and treated within 508 supported health facilities. The close collaboration with the Ministry of Health contributed to reinforce the capacity of 141 frontline staff on management of acute malnutrition as well as increase the coverage.
DÉCLARATION DE NOUAKCOTT
Tracking food security trends in vulnerable countries
· According to the Food Security and Agriculture Cluster analyses, 9.8 million people in Syria need various types of food, agriculture and livelihood-related assistance.
· As fighting prevails in Iraq, an estimated 2.2 million people across the governorates of Anbar, Kirkuk, Diyala, Ninewa and Salah al-Din are in need of emergency food assistance.
Nouakchott, Mauritania | AFP | Thursday 12/18/2014 - 14:19 GMT
A summit on security in the sub-Saharan Sahel region of Africa, where armed Islamic extremists linked to al-Qaeda are active, opened Thursday in Mauritania, attended by five heads of state.
The meeting was part of the "Nouakchott Process", named for an initiative launched in Mauritania's capital in March 2013 to boost security cooperation among 11 participating states.
Nouakchott, Mauritanie | AFP | jeudi 18/12/2014 - 18:57 GMT
Onze pays d'Afrique de l'Ouest et du Sahel ont appelé jeudi à la mobilisation continentale et internationale pour stabiliser la Libye, lors d'un sommet régional à Nouakchott.
"L'UA, le Processus de Nouakchott, tout le monde va se mobiliser pour offrir l'aide nécessaire aux frères en Libye", a déclaré aux journalistes le commissaire de l'UA (Union africaine) à la paix et à la sécurité, Smaïl Chergui.
PRINCIPAUX PROBLÈMES HUMANITAIRES
PROJECTED FOOD ASSISTANCE NEEDS FOR JUNE 2015
There have been 18 603 reported cases of Ebola virus disease, with 6915 reported deaths.
Reported case incidence is fluctuating in Guinea and decreasing in Liberia.
There are signs that the increase in incidence has slowed in Sierra Leone. A major operation has been implemented to curb the spread of disease in the west of the country.
No new cases have been reported in Mali since 24 November. All contacts of the outbreak in Bamako have completed the 21-day follow-up period.
In December 2014, 19.8 million people in the Sahel are estimated to be food insecure, with at least 2.6 million having already crossed the emergency threshold and requiring urgent food assistance. Millions more are expected to see their food security deteriorate during the course of the 2015 lean season due to the exhaustion of stocks, pasture scarcity, food price variations, or livelihood erosion caused by recurrent crises.
Snapshot 10–16 December
Iraq: 700,000 IDPs, mostly in Dahuk and Anbar governorates, are living in shelters that are not adapted for winter temperatures. 945,000 IDPs are in dire need of kerosene for heating.
Afghanistan: Kabul has been hit by at least 12 suicide attacks since early November, with more attacks also carried out elsewhere, fuelling concerns about the protection of civilians.
To boost fight against Ebola and strengthen community-based services for the future, UNICEF raises appeal to US$500 million
NEW YORK/GENEVA, 12 December 2014 – UNICEF today announced an expanded fight against the Ebola virus in West Africa over the next six months, costing a total of US$500 million – of which just 24 per cent ($125.7 million) has been secured.
Les prévisions régionales de production agricole sont en hausse par rapport à la moyenne des cinq dernières années. Ce niveau de production cache des disparités d’un pays à l’autre.
Les prix des céréales sèches sont supérieurs aux moyennes quinquennales dans les zones de déficits agricoles et de conflit.
Selon le Cadre Harmonisé, 14 530 000 personnes sont en insécurité alimentaire (octobre – décembre 2014).