L'Union européenne a réaffirmé son soutien à la nouvelle politique migratoire et d'asile du Maroc qui s'appuie sur le plein respect des droits de l'Homme et qui poursuit des objectifs clairs en matière d'intégration des migrants réguliers et de reconnaissance du statut de réfugié.
Taboo Appears Over, but Proof Will be Change in Practice
(Rabat) – Moroccan authorities have for the first time allowed a Sahrawi human rights organization fiercely critical of the government to legally register. This advance for freedom of association in Morocco came 10 years after the Western Sahara group applied and nine years after a court ruled that the government had unlawfully impeded the group from registering.
Un tabou est levé, mais la preuve du changement viendra des pratiques
By ELISABETTA POVOLEDO AUG. 18, 2015
ROME — Italian officials said on Tuesday that they had arrested the captain and crew of a boat in which 49 migrants suffocated over the weekend after they were blocked from leaving the ship’s hold.
The eight men, who said they were from Libya, Morocco and Syria, are accused of multiple homicide and illegal immigration, officials said at a news conference in Catania, Sicily, where the Norwegian ship that transported the 312 survivors of Saturday’s rescue remains docked.
Italy - IOM teams who met survivors of another Mediterranean tragedy this past weekend learned grisly details of an asphyxiation that claimed dozens of migrants’ lives.
On Saturday in the Channel of Sicily 49 migrants were found dead on a ship carrying over 300 people. The survivors were rescued by the Italian Navy ship “Cigala Fulgosi” 21 miles off Libya’s coast.
Catania, Italy | 17:30 GMT
by Alessio TRICANI
They made it to Italy in the end but it was tragically nothing like the arrival they had dreamed of.
The corpses of 49 migrants who died in horrifying circumstances in the latest Mediterranean boat tragedy were delivered to Sicily on Monday in a refrigerated container.
The white metal box, stamped with the letters UN, was winched from the Norwegian ship "Siem Pilot" on to a waiting lorry at the port of Catania several hours after more than 300 survivors had disembarked.
Rabat, Morocco | Thursday 8/13/2015 - 12:53 GMT
A woman and two girls have been found dead after they went missing in a flash flood caused by torrential rain in central Morocco, authorities said Thursday.
They were found Tuesday and Wednesday several kilometres from the course of the flood in a valley known as Wadi Alfet, near Azilal.
Authorities and residents are still looking for two other women, said official press agency MAP.
All five were reported missing Monday after they had sought shelter in a house that was later swept away in the flood.
Rabat, Morocco | AFP | Tuesday 8/11/2015 - 12:35 GMT
Five people have gone missing after torrential rain hit Morocco's central region of Azilal, the authorities said.
"Three women and two little girls were reported missing Monday following the floods... caused by torrential rain and storm winds," official news agency MAP quoted the authorities as saying.
The victims had been inside one of three houses swept away by a flash flood in a valley known as Wadi Alfet.
Residents and authorities are still looking for missing persons.
Rabat, Maroc | AFP | mardi 11/08/2015 - 10:49 GMT
Cinq personnes sont portées disparues dans le centre du Maroc après des pluies "diluviennes" ayant touché la région d'Azilal, ont annoncé les autorités dans un communiqué.
"Trois femmes et deux petites filles ont été portées disparues lundi suite aux inondations (...) provoquées par des pluies diluviennes et des vents orageux", selon le texte reproduit par l'agence MAP.
NADOR, 10 août 2015 (IRIN) - Le Maroc est devenu un véritable goulet d’étranglement pour les migrants d’Afrique subsaharienne qui cherchent à se rendre en Europe, arrêtés dans leur élan par les gouvernements marocain et espagnol qui travaillent main dans la main pour stopper le flux des migrants à travers la Méditerranée.
Des milliers de migrants en situation irrégulière n’ont pas pu ou pas voulu profiter du processus de « régularisation » offert de manière limitée par l’État marocain sous la forme de près de 18 000 permis de séjour d’un an.
WFP’s strategy in Tunisia and Morocco is to support national capacity development for school feeding. WFP provides the two governments with technical assistance in order to enhance their national school feeding programmes.
In 2011, WFP re-opened an office in Tunisia to provide assistance during the Libya crisis.
In 2003, WFP closed its office in Morocco.
Description: In 2014, significant flows of migration to, through and from the Middle East and North Africa continued unabated. Ongoing conflict, economic stagnation, and political turmoil were main drivers of migration, though motives for movement remain complex. Irregular migration – especially for vulnerable or under-protected people such as unaccompanied minors, women and sexual minorities – exposed migrants to an array of risks as they attempted to attain physical safety and economic stability.
In this issue:
Nigeria: One Year Without Wild Poliovirus
Pakistan: Getting Back on Track
Afghanistan: Intensifying Eradication Activities
NADOR, 29 July 2015 (IRIN) - Morocco has become a choke point for sub-Saharan African migrants aiming to reach Europe, pinched by the Moroccan and Spanish governments working together to halt the flow across the Mediterranean.
Thousands of irregular migrants were unable or unwilling to take advantage of the Moroccan government’s limited “regularisation” process that granted less than 18,000 one-year residency permits.
They now play a cat-and-mouse game with the police in the northern Riff mountains overlooking the Spanish enclave of Melilla.
Vienna, Austria, July 22, 2015. Over 30 partner countries stand to benefit from the latest round of financing approved at the 151st Session of the Governing Board of the OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID).
Grant funding totaling US$4.24m was also approved for the following:
This report aims to contribute to a better understanding of the impact of disasters in the Arab states. The study provides an assessment, interpretation and visualization of ten national disaster loss databases from the region (i.e.: Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia and Yemen) including damage and loss data from the previous thirty years.
The 2014 International Annual Report of SOS Children's Villages, published today, presents risk factors for family breakdown and positive impacts of family strengthening, along with programme statistics and financial results.
In 2014, SOS Children’s Villages International provided sustained care for more than 439,000 children, young people and adults through its Family Strengthening and Family Based Care programmes.
SOS kindergartens, schools, vocational training centres and social centres provided education and learning opportunities for over 206,000 people.
In recent weeks, the Turkey to Greece sea passage has surpassed the North Africa to Italy route in volume of migrants and asylum seekers attempting to reach Europe. Increasing numbers of refugees are fleeing extreme human security situations in Syria (ranked 1st and most at risk out of the 198 countries assessed in Verisk Maplecroft’s Human Rights Risk Index 2015), Iraq (3rd) and Afghanistan (5th), placing further pressures on a weakening Greek economy and struggling infrastructure.