- UNHCR position on returns to Libya - November 2014
- OCHA Flash Update 3, 7 Nov 2014
- IFRC Complex Emergency DREF Operation Operations nº MDRLY001; Operations update n° 1
Appeals & Funding
19 November 2014 - The Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Libya and Head of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) Bernardino Leon has announced that the different parties to the conflict in Benghazi have agreed to an unconditional humanitarian truce in the affected areas, which commenced at 7 AM local time today, 19 November 2014, for a period of 12 hours, subject to extension by the parties.
Following is UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s message, as delivered by Hiroute Guebre Sellassie, Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for the Sahel, to the third meeting of the ministerial coordination platform for the Sahel, held in Bamako today:
At its second formal meeting on 14 November 2014, the Security Council Committee established pursuant to resolution 1970 (2011) concerning Libya held a discussion with representatives to the United Nations of Libya, Algeria, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Malta, Niger, Sudan, Tunisia and Turkey on the implementation of the sanctions measures (including the arms embargo, the travel ban, the assets freeze and measures in relation to attempts to illicitly export crude oil) imposed by the Security Council in relation to Libya.
Snapshot 12–18 November
Ethiopia: Waters have begun to recede from Leitchuor refugee camp in Gambella, but few refugees have returned to the camps so far, where alarming rates of severe malnutrition persist: 5.7% in Leitchuor, 7.8% in Kule, and 10% in Tierkidi. In SNNPR, flooding was reported, while in Oromia, water trucking has begun for populations affected by drought.
Intense fighting among rival armed groups in Libya's eastern towns of Benghazi and Derna, as well as in the country's southeast at Ubari and in the west at Kikla, is creating a deteriorating displacement crisis. At least 106,420 people have fled their homes in the past month alone, with the number of displaced since May now exceeding 393,000 people, according to UNHCR.
MÉDENINE, 17 novembre 2014 (IRIN) - Les autorités gouvernementales et les organisations humanitaires en Tunisie annoncent qu'elles se préparent à recevoir une nouvelle vague de réfugiés venus de Libye, malgré une opinion publique de plus en plus hostile à cet afflux avant les élections présidentielles.
Tripoli, Libye | AFP | Sunday 11/16/2014 - 20:30 GMT
Deadly fighting between Islamist militias and forces backed by Libya's internationally recognised government on Sunday forced the closure of an airport in eastern Tripoli, military sources said.
At least four people were killed and 10 wounded in clashes between the Islamist Fajr Libya (Libya Dawn) and fighters loyal to the government around the Mitiga air base, the sources said.
An airport official said that Mitiga was closed to air traffic due to the violence.
Benghazi, Libya | AFP | Saturday 11/15/2014 - 19:26 GMT
At least 356 people have been killed in fighting for Libya's second city Benghazi since the launch of a government-backed offensive against Islamist militias a month ago, medical sources said Saturday.
More than 200 of the dead have been soldiers -- either members of the regular army or loyalists of controversial retired general Khalifa Haftar, the Red Crescent and hospital sources said.
14 November 2014 – In the wake of car bombings in Tripoli and deadly clashes between rival armed groups in cities across long-troubled Libya, the United Nations human rights office today voiced alarm over escalating violence in the long-troubled country, while the Organization’s refugee agency warned that mounting insecurity is taking a toll on humanitarian operations.
The following Security Council press statement was issued today by Council President Gary Quinlan (Australia):
The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the terrorist bomb attacks against the embassies of Egypt and the United Arab Emirates in Tripoli, Libya, on 13 November.
The members of the Security Council condemned all acts of violence against diplomatic premises, which endanger innocent lives and seriously impede the normal work of diplomatic representatives and officials.
Since the overthrow of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi and his government in October 2011, Libya has been affected by a chronic state of insecurity. In a climate of instability and chaos, the country has seen intense clashes between armed groups and almost daily assassinations, bombings and kidnappings. The presence of numerous militias – some reports indicate that there are up to 1,700 different armed groups – each reported to control certain areas of territory, have left successive governments struggling to exercise authority in those areas.
GENEVA, November 14 (UNHCR) – The UN refugee agency on Friday reported that intense fighting among rival armed groups in western, eastern and south-eastern Libya has forced more than 100,000 people to flee their homes in the past month.
The stepped up conflict is centred on the towns of Benghazi and Derna in the east, in the country's south-east at Ubari and in the west at Kikla. The insecurity is hampering humanitarian operations.
Thursday 13 November - The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) strongly condemns the recent violence in eastern and western Libya, including the bombings in Tobruk, Tripoli, Al-Baida and Shahat, as well as the ongoing fighting in the city of Benghazi and in Jabal Nafusa, including the towns of Kikla, al-Qala’a and Zintan.
Dr Gita Subrahmanyam*
This Operations Update reflects the response of the Libyan Red Crescent to the complex emergency during the period from August 11 until October 31, 20141. The operation will be extended until December 31, 2014 in order to allow the implementation of all the planned distribution activities, which were delayed due to the growing security threats in Libya.
Benghazi, Libya | AFP | Wednesday 11/12/2014 - 13:24 GMT
Twin suicide bombings Wednesday hit the remote town where Libya's internationally recognised government took refuge earlier this year, among a series of attacks in the restive east, security sources said.
At least 20 people were wounded, four of them seriously, when the bombers blew up vehicles in the heart of Tobruk, an interior ministry official said.
MEDENINE, 12 November 2014 (IRIN) -
Government authorities and aid agencies in Tunisia say they are prepared for a sudden additional flood of refugees from Libya despite growing public hostility to the influx ahead of presidential elections.
11 November 2014 – A deteriorating security situation and growing political instability in Libya are creating an environment that “clearly cannot be conducive” to closing the impunity gap, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC) warned the United Nations Security Council today.
“I cannot stress enough the deleterious impact that the unstable political and security situation in Libya has had and continues to have on my investigations,” Fatou Bensouda said as she briefed the 15-member Council earlier today.
Snapshot 5–11 November
Central African Republic: About 20,000 displaced people are seeking refuge in isolated rural areas in Ouham province following the arrival of armed groups in Boguila, Kouki and Nana Bakassa on 25 October. Nearly 1,000 people have been displaced since July in Bambari following violence in Batobadja and Matchika, and 4,000 have been displaced since January to Berberati town in Mambere province.