China, Japan - Tropical Cyclone MEGI UPDATE (GDACS, JTWC, CWB, JMA, CMA, Local media)
TC MEGI continued moving north-west over the Taiwan strait and made a second landfall over Huian county (Fujian province, China), as a Typhoon on 28 September early morning (UTC). On 28 September at 6.00 UTC its center was located over land close to Longyan city (Fujian) and it had max. sustained wind speed of 93km/h (Tropical Storm).
- TC MEGI continued moving north-west and made landfall over Hualien county (Taiwan) on 27 September early morning (UTC), as a Typhoon. On 27 September at 6.00 UTC its centre was located over eastern Taichung county (Taiwan) and it had max. sustained wind speed of 213 km/h (Typhoon).
- Over the next 24 h it is forecast to continue moving north-west weakening. Its centre may move over Fujian province (China) on 27 September afternoon (UTC) possibly as a Typhoon. Heavy rain, strong winds and storm surge may affect the areas along its path.
TC MEGI continued moving north-west strengthening. On 27 September at 0.00 UTC its centre was located approx. 180 km south-east of Hualien county (Taiwan) and it had max. sustained wind speed of 185 km/h.
• TC MEGI continued moving north-west over the Philippine Sea, as a Typhoon. On 26 September at 6.00 UTC its centre was located approx. 540 km south-east of Taitung county (Taiwan) and it had max. sustained wind speed of 176 km/h (Typhoon).
• Over the next 24 h it is forecast to continue moving north-west, strengthening. It may move over Taitung and/or Hualien counties (Taiwan) on 27 September morning (UTC) as an intense Typhoon. Heavy rain, strong winds and storm surge may affect the areas along its path.
Grant Contracts for two Grassroots Human Security Projects (GGP) were signed today by Mr. Takeshi Okubo, Ambassador for the Palestinian Affairs and Representative of Japan to the PA, and representatives of Yatma and Beit Imrin Village Councils at the Representative Office of Japan in Ramallah for a total amount of US$ 166,260.
Depuis 2014 la crise sécuritaire dans la région de l'Extrême Nord du Cameroun a révélé au grand jour les vulnérabilités socioéconomiques et les pesanteurs culturelles qui sapent l’insertion des couches défavorisées, particulièrement les femmes et les jeunes. Ces fragilités sont sources de conflits et exposent les jeunes particulièrement à l’intolérance et à la violence extrême.
Amara, Maissan - On 21 September 2016, the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) organized a ceremony to mark the delivery of prefabricated shelter units for internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Aeon Missan, Missan Governorate. With generous contribution from the Government of Japan, the new shelter site is provided with basic infrastructure constructed by UN-Habitat to accommodate more than 600 vulnerable IDPs under the project titled “Humanitarian Support to IDPs in Iraq through Provision of Durable Shelter.”
Dimitrovgrad, September 21, 2016 - On Dimitrovgrad Municipality Day a new municipal waste collection truck was donated to Dimitrovgrad, which would help this town improve the quality of local municipal services and overcome the consequences of migrant and refugee crisis.
The truck was officially handed over to the Mayor of Dimitrovgrad, Mr Vladica Dimitrov by the Ambassador of Japan to the Republic of Serbia, H.E. Juichi Takahara and Deputy Resident Representative at UNDP Serbia, Ms Steliana Nedera.
MEXICO, USA – TC PAINE
• Tropical Cyclone PAINE continued moving north near the western coasts of Baja California peninsula, weakening and becoming a Post Tropical Cyclone. On 21 September at 3.00 (UTC) its centre was located approx. 140 km west of Punta Eugenia (Baja California State) and it had max. sustained winds speed of 55 km/h.
#\ of children affected out of
#\ of people affected
#\ Hectares of crop damaged
#\ people lost incomes
52 (18 most affected)
#\ provinces affected out of
Government-One UN Joint Emergency Response Plan 2016*
UN funds received:
21 September, 2016- The Government of Japan has contributed with approximately US$ 2.2 million to UNICEF to assist children and women’s protection throughout Myanmar.
Through this contribution, UNICEF in partnership with the Government of Myanmar, will work to both prevent and respond to cases of gender based violence, as well as contribute to the on-going development and capacity building of key government departments and civil society groups, namely through the provision of quality social work.
On September 19, 2016, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the Embassy of Japan conducted a joint field visit to Qabb Elias, Bekaa. The purpose was to monitor the impact of Emergency Grant Aid, of US$ 2 million, provided by the Government of Japan to UNDP and UNHCR in response to the needs of host communities and the Syrian refugees in Lebanon. This visit coincided with the UN Summit for Refugees and Migrants that was taking place in New York.
On September16, the Government of Japan decided to extend Emergency Grant Aid of four million seven hundred thousand US dollars through three organizations, including United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), to help alleviate the dire humanitarian situation in Syria.
[JTWC] Summary: TYPHOON 18W (MALAKAS), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 348 NM SOUTH- SOUTHEAST OF TAIPEI, TAIWAN, HAS TRACKED NORTHWESTWARD AT 12 KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 160000Z IS 35 FEET. NEXT WARNINGS AT 160900Z, 161500Z, 162100Z AND 170300Z
[JTWC] Summary: TYPHOON 18W (MALAKAS), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 528 NM EAST- NORTHEAST OF MANILA, PHILIPPINES, HAS TRACKED WEST- NORTHWESTWARD AT 13 KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. MAXIMUM SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT AT 141800Z IS 32 FEET.
Les pays participant aux deux sommets sur les réfugiés devraient s’engager à renforcer leurs offres de réinstallation et d’aide
Background to the project The aim of this paper is to start a conversation about how we can answer the question: What is a rights-based alternative to the current model of third country processing in Nauru and Papua New Guinea?
The Commission has endeavoured to identify options for responding to flight by sea which are consistent with Australia’s international human rights obligations.
At Global Refugee Summits, Commit to Resettlement and Aid
(New York, September 13, 2016) – The massive refugee crisis demands an unprecedented global response, Human Rights Watch said today. At two summits on September 19 and 20, 2016, at the United Nations, world leaders should take bold steps to share responsibility for millions of people displaced by violence, repression, and persecution.