- WFP Jordan Country Office: PRRO and EMOP* Situation Report #5, 1 - 31 October
- WFP Jordan | Brief Reporting period: 01 July – 30 September 2015
- UNHCR Operational Update, Sep 2015
Appeals & Funding
- Jordan Response Plan 2015 for the Syria Crisis
- Emergency Response Fund (ERF) in 2015 PDF XLS
- Syria Crisis Guide to Giving
Needs inside and out of Syria continue to expand with an increasing number of refugees and Internally Displaced People. Outside Syria there are now estimated to be over 2.2 million child refugees, and inside Syria 6 million children in need of humanitarian assistance, including 2.8 million displaced children.
Humanitarian Response Plans in the MENA region received US$ 2.84 billion. The largest recipient was Syria, with US$ 1.06 billion, followed by Yemen, Palestine and Iraq. In total, the appeals and HRPs are 44.8% funded.
The Syria Response Plan (SRP) and the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) jointly requested US$ 7.43 billion. The total amount received is US$ 3.3 billion (44.4%), which leaves a total shortfall of US$ 4.13 billion (55.6%).
During the month of September the Syrian conict entered a new phase, with Russian air strikes across the country allegedly targeting terrorists groups in Idleb, Hama, Homs, Aleppo, Raqqa and Deir-Ez-Zour. The airstrikes, and the increased intensity of related clashes, continue to have a negative impact on humanitarian access and delivery of humanitarian assistance.
In response to persisting severe water shortages in Aleppo, UNICEF continued to truck 10,000 m3 of water per day, reaching 700,000 people, while continuing to develop alternative water supply modalities.
In Syria, accessing children and their families in hard to reach locations remains a signicant challenge due to heavy restrictions, denial of access and the danger of operating in active conict zones. UNICEF deliveries have managed to reach approximately 8% of the 422,000 people living in besieged locations and 26 percent (1.1 million people) of 4.2 million people in need in hard to reach areas.
Across the region, with the start of the school year approaching, UNICEF and partners are gearing up to support learning opportunities. In Syria, where there are still 2 million children out of school or at risk of dropping out, UNICEF is preparing for the launch of the Back to Learning (BTL) initiative 2015/2016. BtL in Syria aims to reach over 1 million children with education supplies and approximately 5.5 million community members with education messages via media campaign.
Humanitarian Response Plans in the MENA region received US$ 2.04 billion. The largest recipient was Syria, with US$ 908.8 million, followed by Yemen, Palestine and Iraq. In total, the appeals and HRPs are 32.1% funded.
The Syria Response Plan (SRP) and the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP) jointly requested US$ 7.42 billion. The total amount received is US$ 2.5 billion (33.7%), which leaves a total shortfall of US$ 4.92 billion (66.3%).
In recent weeks, the upsurge of Syrians seeking asylum in European countries has overwhelmed existing capacity. According to UNHCR, as of July 2015 almost 350,000 Syrians have applied for asylum in Europe since the conflict in Syria began, nearly half applying in Germany and Sweden and one third in Serbia, Hungary, Austria, Bulgaria, and the Netherlands combined.