The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is deeply concerned by the news that on Monday, 13 April, a boat capsized about 120 kilometres south of Lampedusa Island. So far around 140 people have been rescued, but 400 others are still believed missing.
Catania, Italy | AFP | 4/21/2015 - 03:09 GMT
by Fanny CARRIER
Italian police have arrested two suspected people traffickers among the survivors of the migrant boat that capsized off Libya on Sunday, as the UN said 800 people were killed in the Mediterranean’s worst migrant disaster.
GENÈVE, 20 avril (HCR) – Le Haut Commissaire des Nations Unies pour les réfugiés António Guterres a exprimé sa consternation après le tout dernier naufrage en mer Méditerranée. Des centaines de personnes seraient portées disparues.
(Milan, le 19 avril 2015) – L’Union européenne (UE) devrait agir immédiatement pour prévenir de nouvelles pertes humaines en mer, a déclaré Human Rights Watch. Près de 700 migrants et demandeurs d’asile pourraient avoir péri dans le naufrage d’une embarcation en Méditerranée au nord de la Libye le 19 avril, portant le bilan total des décès à plus de 1 000 en une semaine, selon les estimations.
"Human rights are universal. Refugees must be able to live in dignity and in decent conditions! As a guardian of human rights and fundamental freedoms, our Assembly is duty bound to ring the alarm bell and launch a discussion about how we can better address the migration issue from a human rights perspective", said Anne Brasseur when opening the spring session, which has an urgent debate on "The human tragedy in the Mediterranean: immediate action needed" scheduled for Thursday 23 April.
LAMPEDUSA/OXFORD, 20 avril 2015 (IRIN) - Il ne fait aucun doute que l’augmentation estivale du nombre de traversées de la Méditerranée par les migrants à déjà commencé. Le weekend dernier, les autorités italiennes ont en effet secouru 8 500 migrants et signalé la mort de près de 400 autres.
Cruz Roja Española lamenta profundamente la tragedia humanitaria ocurrida en el Mediterráneo por el hundimiento del barco pesquero en el que viajaban más 700 personas, y que vuelve a poner de relevancia el drama humano que viven muchas de las personas que se ven forzadas a migrar a otros países huyendo de la pobreza, los conflictos o desastres.
Rome, Italy | AFP | Monday 4/20/2015 - 14:59 GMT
Italy is studying the possibility of mounting "targeted interventions" against Libya-based people smugglers behind a huge surge in the numbers of migrants crossing the Mediterranean, Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said Monday.
"The hypothesis of military intervention (to stabilise Libya) is not on the table... but what is possible are targeted interventions to destroy a criminal racket," Renzi said at a press conference with his Maltese counterpart Joseph Muscat.
Geneva, Switzerland | AFP | Monday 4/20/2015 - 11:05 GMT
The International Organization for Migration said Monday it had received a distress call from a sinking boat in the Mediterranean carrying more than 300 people, with at least 20 people reported dead.
IOM's Rome office said it had received a call for help from one of three boats floating near each other in international waters.
GENEVA (20 April 2015) – Repression of irregular migration clearly cannot be the only solution to the recurrent grave problem of masses of people drowning at sea, the UN experts today warned the European Union. The independent experts said they were encouraged by the decision to hold an EU summit on the issue and urged States to use the summit to tackle the issues in a holistic, systematic, regulated way in order to comply with their international human rights obligations.
European governments must prioritize setting up an immediate search and rescue plan to prevent the escalating death toll of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean Sea, Amnesty International said ahead of a European Union (EU) foreign and interior ministers meeting in Luxembourg today.
GINEBRA, 19 de abril de 2015 (ACNUR) – El Alto Comisionado de las Naciones Unidas para los Refugiados, António Guterres, expresó hoy su consternación por el último naufragio en el Mediterráneo, y por los cientos de vidas que habría cobrado.
Según la última información recibida por parte de las autoridades de Malta, tan sólo 50 de las 700 personas que se estimaba estaban a bordo, habrían sido rescatadas.
Brussels, 19 April 2015
The European Commission is deeply chagrined by the tragic developments in the Mediterranean today, but also over the past days and weeks. The reality is stark and our actions must therefore be bold. These are human lives at stake, and the European Union as a whole has a moral and humanitarian obligation to act.
Italy – IOM is calling for swift action from the European Union following the worst tragedy in living memory involving migrants crossing the Mediterranean from north Africa. Up to 700 migrants are missing and feared drowned after the wooden fishing boat on which they were crammed, capsized near Libya as a cargo vessel was coming to its aid. By late Sunday night, one of the survivors was reported to have informed Italian authorities that there may have been up to 950 on board.
4/20/2015 - 03:05 GMT
by Angus MACKINNON
EU ministers headed Monday into crisis talks under pressure to confront people-smuggling gangs, with more than 700 people feared dead in what may be the Mediterranean's deadliest migrant disaster to date.
Italy's coastguard said only 28 people had survived a shipwreck off war-torn Libya, which was seen by many as an avoidable tragedy.
"It seems we are looking at the worst massacre ever seen in the Mediterranean," said Carlotta Sami, spokeswoman for the UN refugee agency UNHCR.
UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres today expressed his shock at the latest boat capsizing on the Mediterranean, and the hundreds of lives reported to have been lost.
As of a short time ago, according to information from the Maltese authorities, only around 50 of the 700 reported to be aboard, had been rescued.
London/Rome, 19 April 2015 - Faced with another tragedy in the Mediterranean sea, European Member States must urgently launch large-scale search and rescue activities in order to avoid more deaths at sea, the medical humanitarian organisation Medecins Sans Frontieres /Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said today.
(Milan, April 19, 2015) – The European Union (EU) should act immediately to prevent further deaths at sea, Human Rights Watch said. As many as 700 migrants and asylum seekers are feared dead in a single shipwreck in the Mediterranean north of Libya on April 19, 2015, bringing the estimated death toll to over 1,000 in one week.
LAMPEDUSA ISLAND, Italy, April 17 (UNHCR) – A baby as young as six months, with severe burns across half of her face, was among traumatized survivors of the latest sea rescue off the coast of southern Italy's Lampedusa Island.
The infant was one of 70 refugees and migrants on board a half-inflated rubber dinghy that had set sail from Libya and been rescued by the Italian coastguard after two days on the Mediterranean Sea. Many people had been badly burned before even setting foot on the vessel, after a gas canister exploded while they were being held by smugglers on land.
Rome, Italy | AFP | Friday 4/17/2015 - 18:37 GMT
by Jérôme CARTILLIER
Restoring stability in Libya is the only way to solve the migrant crisis in the Mediterranean, Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi said Friday, as President Barack Obama warned re-establishing peace could not be achieved by military force.
Speaking at a joint White House press conference after authorities in Italy confirmed more than 11,000 migrants had been rescued in the past six days alone, Renzi said the problem would only be solved by peace in Libya.