Western Balkan - Regional Overview
• Currently Greece, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Serbia are transit countries for migrants and refugees trying to re-enter the Schengen area in Hungary.
• Due to the construction of the fence in the Hungarian southern border with Serbia, migrants/refugees may seek alternative routes: for example from Albania to Italy or through Croatia to the Schengen area.
South Sudan – Conflict
• There are more than one million internally displaced people (1 040 706) since the violence erupted on 15 December 2013, including over 95 000 at the UN bases. 364 710 South Sudanese have sought refuge in the neighbouring countries.
• About 70 000 new displacements recorded since 9 May, when, for a second time, a cessation of hostilities was agreed upon.
• A 5.6M earthquake at 16km depth hit Dashtestan County, eastern Bushehr Province, north-eastern Persian Gulf coast, on 28 November, 13h51 UTC. The epicentre was located approx. 14km north-east of the County capital Borazjan (pop. 86 000) (GDACS).
• USGS-PAGER estimates that 4 000 people were exposed to Very Strong and 173 000 to Strong shaking (light brownorange area in the map).
Reaching Syrians in need Civilians inside Syria are paying the heaviest price for the conflict. The U.S. government is working with the United Nations, as well as international, non-governmental, and local Syrian organizations to reach the more than 6.8 million in need of aid inside Syria and over two million who have fled to neighboring countries. American assistance provides food, shelter, and medical care for children, women, and men affected by the fighting. The United States is the single largest contributor of humanitarian assistance to the Syrian people.
16 Apr 2013 - A 7.8-magnitude earthquake hit the province of Sistan and Baluchestan in South-east Iran. Forty people have been reported dead.
9 Apr 2013 - A 6.3-magnitude earthquake hit the south-eastern part of Iran. At least 850 people were injured and 32 are reported dead. Around 1,000 people are sheltering in tents.