- Priority Needs Overview - July 2015
- UNICEF Guinea Ebola Situation Report, 14 Jul 2015
- UNMEER situation reports
Appeals & Funding
- Republic of Guinea: Post-Ebola Socio-Economic Recovery Strategy (2015-2017)
- Mano River Union Post-Ebola Socio-economic Recovery Programme
- FAO EVD Outbreak National Response Programme - Guinea, Oct 2014-Sep 2015
The President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI)
Malaria prevention and control is a major U.S. foreign assistance objective, and PMI’s strategy fully aligns with the U.S. Government’s vision of ending preventable child and maternal deaths and ending extreme poverty. Under the PMI Strategy for 2015–2020, the U.S. Government’s goal is to work with PMI-supported countries and partners to further reduce malaria deaths and substantially decrease malaria morbidity, toward the long-term goal of elimination.
A recombinant, replication-competent vesicular stomatitis virus-based vaccine expressing a surface glycoprotein of Zaire Ebolavirus (rVSV-ZEBOV) is a promising Ebola vaccine candidate. We report the results of an interim analysis of a trial of rVSV-ZEBOV in Guinea, west Africa.
La poursuite normale de la campagne favorise le déstockage par les producteurs
La poursuite normale de la campagne agricole et la mise à disposition des intrants par le Gouvernement créent les conditions globalement satisfaisantes et favorables pour le bon développement des cultures.
Cela accroit les opportunités de revenus à travers la main d’œuvre pour les ménages pauvres et augure des bonnes perspectives de récoltes attendues en octobre.
Food securi ty outcomes expected to improve with the new rice harvest later this year
Due to the residual effects of the Ebola outbreak on local livelihoods, household purchasing power is atypical weak in July . As a result, the majority of the poor households will face Stressed (IPC Phase 2) acute food insecurity between now and the end of the lean season.
• The Secretary-General has announced the effective closure of UNMEER as of 31 July 2015.
• There have been no confirmed EVD cases reported in the first 4 days this week (MonThursday).
Guinea has recorded only one Ebola case in the last nine days.
• Sierra Leone lists more than 500 people as contacts linked to the EVD case in Tonkolili, which was reported on 24 July.
• The High Level Panel on the Global Response to Health Crises will be traveling to the region from 2 to 6 August.
These updates cover emergencies Oxfam is currently responding to around the world, although please note they don’t intend to be comprehensive.
Maghreb & Middle East
Since the scale up of the conflict in March, nearly 25,000 additional people are going hungry each day in Yemen as the blockade and fighting restrict food, fuel and other vital supplies. One in two people – nearly 13 million people – are now struggling to find enough to eat, and half of them are on the brink of starvation.
New York/Geneva, 31 July 2015
As we continue to actively strive to end the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have reached an important milestone in the global Ebola response.
Paris, France | AFP | vendredi 31/07/2015 - 14:56 GMT
par Elisabeth ZINGG
Le premier vaccin efficace contre Ebola, un virus qui a fait plus de 11.000 morts en Afrique de l'ouest depuis décembre 2013, est désormais "à portée de main" selon l'OMS, au vu des résultats préliminaires très encourageants d'un premier essai sur le terrain en Guinée.
Paris, France | AFP | Saturday 8/01/2015 - 00:36 GMT
by Mariette LE ROUX
An Ebola test vaccine provided blanket protection in a field trial in Guinea, researchers said Friday, possibly heralding "the beginning of the end" for the devastating West African outbreak that has killed thousands.
Genève, 31 juillet 2015 - Les résultats d’une analyse intérimaire de l’essai clinique de phase III concernant l’efficacité du vaccin Ebola VSV-EBOV (Merck, Sharp & Dohme) en Guinée montrent que ce vaccin est très efficace. Le Conseil de surveillance et de sécurité des données - – organe indépendant composé d’experts internationaux –, qui a procédé à cette étude, a recommandé de poursuivre cet essai. Les résultats préliminaires des analyses de ces données provisoires sont publiés aujourd’hui dans la revue britannique The Lancet.
Geneva, 31 July 2015 – Results from an interim analysis of the Guinea Phase III efficacy vaccine trial show that VSV-EBOV (Merck, Sharp & Dohme) is highly effective against Ebola. The independent body of international experts - the Data and Safety Monitoring Board – that conducted the review, advised that the trial should continue. Preliminary results from analyses of these interim data are published today in the British journal The Lancet.
This page tracks Ebola resource flows (including monetized in-kind contributions where available) totaling US$1 million or more from multilateral and bilateral institutions and some foundations. Data is captured from government and other official websites and from communication with key officials within development partner agencies. Data is updated on a bi-weekly basis. Pledges are a non-binding announcement of an intended contribution or allocation by the donor.
Above-average temperatures and rainfall lead to flooding in Central Asia
Central Asia Weather Hazards
High temperatures during the first half of July have led to mudflows and flooding, damaging infrastructure and displacing populations across eastern Tajikistan.
- Heavy rainfall affected north-western Guinea over the past few days, with at least 200mm measured in places over a seven-day period (22-28 July).
- As of 29 July, media report floods in the capital city, Conakry. Four people have been killed and roads and houses have been damaged.
- Heavy rainfall may continue to affect north and north-western Guinea, including Conakry, over the next 24h.
· FAO’s global cereal price index continued to fall in Q2-2015, down 19 percent year-on-year.
· The real price of wheat dropped a further 9 percent over the last quarter. Prices are 33 percent lower than in Q2-2014, thanks to increased global supply and lower consumption.
· The real price of maize has fallen by 3 percent since Q1-2015 and is 21 percent lower than inQ2-2014. However, global production for 2015/16 is set to be lower and thus prices are likely to rise.
UNHRD facilities in Accra and Las Palmas have served as regional staging areas and the Accra depot hosted UNMEER headquarters.
UNHRD Accra continues to support the transportation of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in the region. PPE kits were prepared by the team in Accra and are being shipped across West African countries as part of a WHO preparedness initiative, providing protection to 12,500 health workers.
Before Elections, Improve Oversight, Accountability, Training
(Dakar, July 30, 2015) – Some members of Guinea’s security forces used excessive lethal force, engaged in abusive conduct, and displayed a lack of political neutrality when responding to election-related opposition protests in April and May 2015, Human Rights Watch said. Members of the police force were most frequently implicated in the abuses, revealing an urgent need for accountability, better command responsibility, and training.
Guinea is in the midst of the lean-season and the majority of households are resorting to coping strategies.
Secondary data sources indicate markets are functioning and economic activity is underway with favorable agricultural conditions.
Guinea records fewest EVD weekly cases in more than a year
Sierra Leone provides details on Tonkolili EVD event