Democratic Republic of the CongoOngoing
- OCHA: Urgence complexe dans la région des Kasaï, R.D. Congo Rapport de situation No.11 (en date du 11 août 2017)
- OCHA: Haut-Katanga, Haut-Lomami et Lualaba : Note d’informations humanitaires du 11 août 2017
- OCHA : Tanganyika : Note d’informations humanitaires du 21 juillet 2017
Appeals & Funding
- Appel Éclair: Plan de Réponse D’urgence Avril 2017
- Aperçu des besoins humanitaires 2017
- Plan de Réponse Humanitaire, Janvier 2017 - Décembre 2019
- 2017 South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan Revised (May 2017)
- UNHCR: South Sudan Situation Supplementary Appeal Jan - Dec 2017
- Burundi Regional Refugee Response Plan (RRRP): Jan–Dec 2017
- Country-based Pooled Fund: 2016
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - May 2017
- West Africa: Armyworm Infestation - Mar 2017
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2016
- Angola/DR Congo: Yellow Fever Outbreak - Jan 2016
- DR Congo: Floods - Nov 2015
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2014
- DR Congo: Cholera and Measles Outbreaks - Jan 2013
- DR Congo: Floods - Oct 2012
- DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak - Aug 2012
- DR Congo: Severe Local Storm - Apr 2012
More than 9 million people already displaced globally in 2017
August 2017 (Geneva)
Conflict, violence and disasters have caused more than 9 million new internal displacements globally in the first half of 2017, according to new estimates released today by the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC).
Of the 9.1 million new internal displacements, 4.6 million were caused by conflict, a figure which is already two-thirds of last year’s total. The countries with the highest new internal displacement by conflict are:
On 3 July, the 1591 Sudan Sanctions Committee met to discuss the report of the chair, Ambassador Volodymyr Yelchenko (Ukraine), on his 14 to 18 May 2017 visit to Sudan (SC/12903). Yelchenko briefed Council members in consultations on the work of the committee on 24 July.
Children and Armed Conflict
As of 30 June 2017, there were 17,878 persons under UNHCR mandate in Senegal. The Senegal operation is working to find durable solutions for them.*
The voluntary repatriation of 10 Central Africans, 6 Ivorians and 4 Gambians in April enabled those refugees and asylum seekers to regain their dignity.
Advocacy for the acceptance of Mauritanian refugees by their government continues. 3,135 Mauritanian refugees are still willing to return home.
Working with Partners
In 2016, 7 million of affected people were reached by the WASH sector among more than 10 million in needs in West and Central Africa (24 countries):
o In DRC, 2.5 million persons in cholera-prone zones benefiting from preventive as well as WASH cholera-response packages;
o In CAR, 0.9 million of affected people were provided with access to improved sources of water and 0.3 million with sanitations facilities.
o In the Sahel region (9 countries):
Insights from the Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism initiative (4Mi) in Mali and Niger
• The Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism initiative (4Mi) collects data on the conditions of mixed migration movements across various regions. It is implemented by the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) and the Regional Mixed Migration Secretariat.
Desmidt, S., Hauck, V. 2017. Gestion des conflits dans le cadre de l'Architecture africaine de la paix et de sécurité (APSA). (Document de réflexion 211). Maastricht : ECDPM.
Check against delivery!
Thank you very much Mr President [of the European Parliament, Antonio Tajani].
Let me first of all thank our colleague, Christian [Dan Preda] for the work done leading to this report.
Let me also mention, Mr President, that I got used to the night sessions of this plenary – still I do not find it completely normal that we are running more than two hours late. I will be here also tomorrow night – diligently – but still I think that this plenary can work maybe in a more time-efficient manner.
Madame la Présidente,
Mesdames et messieurs les Commissaires,
La FIDH salue les importantes avancées en faveur des droits humains et des libertés fondamentales sur le continent comme en Gambie, où le choix des électeurs a finalement été respecté ouvrant la voie à une transition démocratique longtemps attendue ; ou encore la décision en appel des Chambres africaines extraordinaires confirmant la condamnation à la perpétuité d’Hissène Habré pour les crimes commis au Tchad entre 1982 et 1990.
The statistics on asylum applications from citizens of sub-Saharan African countries, which were decided in first instance in 2016, show that migration flows from Sub-Saharan Africa to the EU are mixed: approximately 30% of applicants have received an international protection status.
Desmidt, S., Hauck, V. 2017. Conflict management under the African Peace and Security Architecture (APSA). (Discussion Paper 211). Maastricht: ECDPM.
WaPOR: database dissemination portal and APIs
The FAO portal to monitor Water Productivity through Open access of Remotely sensed derived data (WaPOR) monitors and reports on agriculture water productivity over Africa and the Near East.
It provides open access to the water productivity database and its thousands of underlying map layers, it allows for direct data queries, time series analyses, area statistics and data download of key variables associated to water and land productivity assessments.
In this issue
LCB crisis: action urged to avert famine P.1
Huge needs amid fresh clashes in CAR P.3
Gambia’s post-poll crisis response P.4
Shaping up the New Way of Working P.6
Regional epidemics highlights P.7
Regional funding update P.8
International action urged to ward off looming famine in north-east Nigeria.
MHub is undertaking field surveys with migrants, refugees and asylum seekers along key migratory routes to build up a body of data over time and to map country and regional level mixed migration trends.
This snapshot presents early survey findings of the profiles, intentions and experiences of those moving in mixed migration flows who have recently arrived in Italy in the last year.
At the World Humanitarian Summit (WHS) in Istanbul in May 2016, global leaders came together to express their commitment to place people at the centre of decision-making and action. In doing so, they reaffirmed that the scale of current humanitarian issues required greater international cooperation. The Summit triggered a major shift in how the global community will work closer together to prevent and respond to human suffering.
THE ROAD TO A NEW WAY OF WORKING…
Moussa Faki Mahamat, nouveau président de la Commission de l’Union africaine (UA), prendra ses fonctions à la mi-mars alors que le continent est confronté à la plus grave série de crises humanitaires depuis les années 1990. La plus inquiétante se situe dans le bassin du lac Tchad où plus de 11 millions de personnes ont besoin d’une aide d’urgence.
Africa is experiencing the highest number of humanitarian crises since the 1990s. As the new chair of the African Union Commission, Moussa Faki Mahamat, takes office, International Crisis Group suggests how he can strengthen the organisation’s response to threats to continental peace and security.
Mediterranean 19,522 arrivals by sea in 2017*
522 dead/missing in 2017*
Trends of Sea Arrivals
• Many countries across the African continent face recurrent complex emergencies, frequent food insecurity, cyclical drought, and sudden-onset disasters such as earthquakes, floods, and storms. In FY 2016, as in previous years, USAID/OFDA not only responded to urgent needs resulting from disasters, but also supported DRR programs that built resilience and improved emergency preparedness, mitigation, and response capacity at local, national, and regional levels.
L’AIDE ALIMENTAIRE AUX RÉFUGIÉS MENACÉE PAR UN MANQUE DE FINANCEMENT