- OCHA Regional Outlook for the Horn of Africa and Great Lakes Region: Recommendations for Humanitarian Action and Resilience Response - Jan-Mar 2017
- Report of the Secretary-General on the implementation of the Peace, Security and Cooperation Framework for the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the Region (S/2017/208) EN/FR
- WFP Democratic Republic of Congo Country Brief, February 2017
Appeals & Funding
- Aperçu des besoins humanitaires 2017
- Plan de Réponse Humanitaire, Janvier 2017 - Décembre 2019
- Humanitarian Action for Children 2017
- UNHCR: South Sudan Situation Supplementary Appeal Jan - Dec 2017
- South Sudan Regional Refugee Response Plan (RRRP): Jan–Dec 2017
- Country-based Pooled Fund: 2016
Press release 56/2017 27 March 2017
By decision of Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Kai Mykkänen, Finland’s humanitarian aid will amount to EUR 61.4 million, of which approximately EUR 20 million will be channelled to the famine-hit countries in the Horn of Africa and to Nigeria and Yemen.
ROME, ITALY – The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) welcomed a donation of US$6 million from the Republic of Korea that will allow WFP to enhance innovative food security monitoring systems in ten countries in Africa, enabling the organization to hear directly from people in need. The funding was raised through Korea’s air-ticket solidarity levy, which is collected from each international flight passenger departing Korea. Known as the “Global Disease Eradication Fund,” it is part of Seoul’s commitment to ending global disease, poverty and hunger.
by Natalia Linou, Policy Specialist, Gender, Health and HIV, UNDP
Physical injuries are some of the more visible, and at times most deadly, consequences of gender-based violence (GBV). But the long-term mental health consequences are often invisible and left untreated. Similarly, the reproductive and sexual health needs of survivors from rape and sexual violence – to reduce the risk of HIV and sexually transmitted infections, unwanted pregnancies and unsafe terminations, and long-term reproductive complications – are often unmet, stigmatized and under-reported.
By Natalia Linou
Natalia Linou is Policy Specialist Gender, Health and HIV at the UN Development Program.
The ECDC Communicable Disease Threats Report (CDTR) is a weekly bulletin for epidemiologists and health professionals on active public health threats. This issue covers the period 19-25 March 2017 and includes updates on influenza, Legionnaires' disease and rubella.
Author Juliet Okoth Lecturer, International Law, University of Nairobi
The world has become a hostile place for refugees. The narrative often used to justify such actions is national security.
Crop-destroying caterpillars, known as armyworms, have destroyed 63,000 hectares of maize in south-eastern Democratic Republic of Congo since December, causing local maize prices to triple. The 63,000 hectares represent 80 percent of maize production in Haut Katanga province.
The camp population as at 28th February 2017. The figure is inclusive of Kalobeyei population.
Number of South Sudanese new arrivals registered in the month of February 2017
The population currently hosted at Kalobeyei Settlement.
USD 65M Requested for Kakuma operation.
- UNHCR distributes relief items to IDPs in Western Bahr el Ghazal: In Wau, UNHCR distributed non-food items (NFIs) to 4,483 most vulnerable IDPs including 1,175 at Nog-lima, 1,262 at Ngisa 2,046 at the Episcopal Church (ECS) of Sudan premises outside Wau town. NFIs included dignity kits for women of reproductive age, pieces of soap, secondhand clothes, jerry cans, and buckets. This intervention comes after the government granted access to the Baggari area, which has been inaccessible to aid agencies since 2016.
Les Fonds de Financement Communs Pays (CBPF) permettent aux organisations humanitaires d’apporter une assistance rapide et efficace à ceux qui en ont le plus besoin. Ils permettent aux Gouvernements et aux donateurs privés de mettre en commun leurs ressources pour répondre à des crises spécifiques, qu’il s’agisse d’une catastrophe naturelle ou d’un conflit armé.
FONCTIONNEMENT DES CBPF
The International Refugee Rights Initiative (IRRI) is responding to the call for information about humanitarian responses to forced displacement in Central and East Africa.
This brief summarizes FEWS NET’s most forward-looking analysis of projected emergency food assistance needs in FEWS NET coverage countries. The projected size of each country’s acutely food insecure population is compared to last year and the recent five-year average. Countries where external emergency food assistance needs are anticipated are identified. Projected lean season months highlighted in red indicate either an early start or an extension to the typical lean season.
The ECDC Communicable Disease Threats Report (CDTR) is a weekly bulletin for epidemiologists and health professionals on active public health threats. This issue covers the period 12-18 March 2017 and includes updates on cholera, measles and Legionnaires disease.
AFFECTED AREAS Mosul district, Salahuddin governorate
CAUSE OF DISPLACEMENT Conflict
FIGURES About 43,000 new displacements between January and 5 March
• L’épidémie de choléra se stabilise dans le Territoire de Mambasa.
• 85% des 3 642 cas de violences sexuelles basées sur le genre rapportés dans l’ancienne Province Orientale se sont produits en Ituri.
• Plus de 11 600 personnes retournées victimes de conflits fonciers attendent une aide au retour.
Aperçu de la situation
The Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) was responsible for 14 attacks in January 2017 in which they abducted 59 civilians, the highest monthly abduction total since September 2016. However, the 59 abductions in January 2017 was a sharp reduction compared to January 2016, when LRA forces abducted 171 civilians.