- Top humanitarian official calls for “more, sustained attention” to crisis in Katanga
- WFP Ebola Emergency Preparedness and Response Update #5
- Operation Likofi: Police Killings and Enforced Disappearances in Kinshasa EN / FR
Appeals & Funding
- Plan de Réponse Stratégique pour la République démocratique du Congo 2014
- Central African Republic Revised Regional Response Plan January - December 2014
- DRC Pooled Fund
- Repatriation from the DRC (refugees)
- Repatriation to the DRC (Congolese nationals) - by country of asylum
- Repatriation to the DRC (Congolese nationals) - by Province of return
PROTECTION BY PRESENCE
UNHCR offices in DRC: 1 Regional Representation in Kinshasa, 1
Office of the Coordinator of the East in Goma, 3 Sub-offices (Bukavu, Goma and Lubumbashi), 11 Field offices (Baraka, Uvira, Bunia, Kimpese, Moba, Kalemie, Kitchanga, Lubero, Dungu, Masisi and Pweto), and 3 antennas (Beni, Kisangani and Rutshuru)
- Overall volumes of informally traded maize, rice and beans dropped significantly by 37 percent from 11,025MT in September to 6,968MT in October. Maize trade fell 36 percent (from 8,699MT in September to 5,561MT), while rice and bean trade fell by 12 and 44 percent respectively. Rice trade has been at the lowest levels this marketing season.
- October nominal maize grain prices were generally lower than at the same time last year.
FOCUS DU MOIS
Des noeuds logistiques ont été identifiés au début de l'année 2010.
?? Recrudescence de conflits fonciers : une trentaine de cases incendiées à Mahagi.
?? Acheminement de l'aide humanitaire retardée à cause de tracasseries administratives.
- Légère augmentation du nombre de personnes déplacées en Province Orientale.
?? Opérations militaires des FARDC et activisme des groupes armés sur l'ensemble des territoires.
?? Réduction de l'accès humanitaire dans certaines régions de la Province du Nord-Kivu.
?? Catastrophe naturelle à Bihambwe (Masisi)
=B7 Lancement des opérations de rapatriement des réfugiés burundais de la R.D.Congo et vice-versa
=B7 Situation sécuritaire toujours volatile, ce qui a entraîné de nombreux mouvements de populations
=B7 Le Sud-Kivu, capitale mondiale des revendications féministes à l'occasion de la Marche Mondiale de la Femme
This monograph is a study of the security sector in six Southern African countries, namely Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe. It highlights the strengths and challenges of the various institutions that make up the security sector, including defence, police, prisons, intelligence, private security, oversight bodies and the policy and legal frameworks under which they operate.
The 25 year-old Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) conflict has left a terrible legacy in Africa's Great Lakes region. Military action and local, national, regional and international diplomatic attempts to end this war have all failed. Although considerably weakened in recent times, the LRA continues to ruthlessly attack civilians in remote areas of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Central African Republic (CAR) and Southern Sudan.
UNHCR operational highlights
- The Burundian repatriation operation has started on 5 October with a convoy of 244 people. Since then, 472 Burundian have been repatriated. Convoys are planned to be conducted on a weekly basis. The planned figure of return for 2010 is 5,000 persons.
- On 28 October, UNHCR resumed organized repatriations of Congolese refugees from South Kivu. 172 people took part into the convoy and left Gasorwe refugee camp in Northern Burundi to go back home in Uvira and the Ruzizi plain.
ACTED Newsletter n=B067 November 2010
Building bridges: cross-border initiatives for disaster preparedness and peace (Kyrgyzstan / Tajikistan)
Early warning and community-based disaster management: ACTED's answer to changing disaster risks (Uganda)
Beekeeping gives hope to vulnerable families in the West Bank (oPT)
Keeping out the cold: temporary shelter construction in Kyrgyzstan
Providing drinking water to the IDPs and refugees of Zemio: a challenge and a necessity (CAR)
Amid instability, ACTED helps Iraqi children realize their rights through Child …
- 87 CMR received
- 27 users requested ILS services;
- 1094 metric tons transported
- 12555 metric tons transported between January and September 2010
At the invitation of the Government of the Republic of Uganda, a Tripartite Commission meeting UGANDA-DRC-UNHCR on voluntary repatriation of DRC refugees living in Uganda was held in Kampala on the 27 to 29 October 2010.
29 octobre 2010 - A la suite de récentes informations faisant états de viols de femmes congolaises expulsées d'Angola vers la République démocratique du Congo (RDC), la Représentante spéciale de l'ONU sur les violences sexuelles dans les conflits, Margot Wallström, a « appelé les deux pays à enquêter sur les incidents ».
« Il est important non seulement de comprendre ce qui s'est passé mais également de clarifier qui a perpétré ces violations présumées des droits humains et de faire en sorte que les auteurs …
Sur invitation du Gouvernement de la Republique d'Ouganda, il s'est tenu a Kampala du 27 au 29 Octobre 2010 la premiere reunion de la Commission Tripartite Ouganda-RDC-UNHCR sur le rapatriement volontaire des refugies de la Republique Democratique du Congo vivant en Republique d'Ouganda.
On the occasion of the Global Hand Washing day, on October 15, and in the framework of two projects aiming at improving access to drinking water and sanitation on the main roads of Kalemie-Kabimba and Kalemie-Bendera in Katanga Province, ACTED distributed 1650 bars of soap, 800 of them in schools. In order to raise awareness on good hygiene practices among the largest amount of persons, in addition to hand washing demonstrations, men's and women's football games were also organized.
NEW YORK, 29 October 2010 (IRIN) - The consensus was "could do better" as senior government representatives met in New York to commemorate UN Security Council Resolution 1325, a decade-old commitment to strengthen the role of women in peace and security.
Ambassadors and government officials widely endorsed a Security Council decision on 27 October to create indicators to measure progress from now on.
"There's a need for the indicators so the UN can measure how …
Poverty forces thousands of children into taking on exhausting and dangerous work.
By Melanie Gouby, Passy Mubalama, Desanges Kihuha - International Justice - ICC
ACR Issue 275, 29 Oct 10
Apollinare, not his real name, is just 13, but spends long hours on a construction site, mixing cement and shifting big stones that his slight frame can barely carry.
He is an assistant mason, a job …
29 October 2010 - Following reports of alleged rapes of women deported from Angola to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), a senior United Nations official has called on both countries to investigate the incidents and bring the perpetrators to justice.
"It is important not only to get an accurate picture of what has happened, but also to clarify who has perpetrated the suspected human rights violations, and that the perpetrators are brought to justice," Margot Wallström, the Secretary-General's Special …