• Zika virus is transmitted to humans by infected mosquitoes. It causes mild fever and rash. Other symptoms include muscle pain, joint pain, headache, pain behind the eyes and conjunctivitis.
• Zika virus disease is usually mild, with symptoms lasting only a few days. The disease has similar clinical signs to dengue, and may be misdiagnosed in areas where dengue is common. There is no specific treatment or vaccine currently available.
• Heavy rain has been affecting Paraguay, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil over the past month causing floods and rivers to overflow.
• Over 150 000 have been evacuated in all four countries and at least eight people have died.
• The next months are forecast to continue to be critical by National Meteorological Agencies, as the rains will continue due to El Niño, and will be joined by seasonal autumn rains expected for April.