YEMEN - Complex Emergency
• On 21 April, Saudi Arabia announced the end of the military campaign in Yemen. Aerial bombardments by the coalition are expected to stop, but the air and sea blockade of the country will continue. In addition, conflict on the ground has intensified with different local parties continuing their fighting.
• As of 17 April (WHO), 944 people have been killed and 3,487 injured.
• In Amran governorate, at least 3,512 households were internally displaced.
CHILE – Volcanic eruption
• The Villarrica volcano, located in southern Chile (Region of La Araucania ), erupted in the early hours of March, at around.(local time ), spewing ash and lava. According to media, at least 385 people had been evacuated as a preventive measure and a red alert was declared by the authorities.
In the last weeks heavy rains affected several areas of South America (see the last two weeks accumulation rainfall in the inset map), causing floods and river overflows (especially Paraguay and Paranà rivers) in Paraguay, Brazil and northern Argentina.
• Heavy rains affected parts of Colombia, causing floods in four municipalities of Alto Putumayo sub-region. As of 14 June, there were 4 085 people and 1 032 houses affected .
•River overflow has been affecting Paraguay, due to heavy rainfall over the country since May and over south-eastern Brazil since the beginning of June.
•According to the latest estimated figures, 31 837 families have been affected throughout Paraguay; however, the number is expected to rapidly increase in the coming days.
BRAZIL – Severe Weather
• Heavy rains resulted in the overflowing of river Palmital in São Paulo state on 12 January.
• As of 14 January (national news agency): twelve dead and eight missing in the municipality of Itaóca, over 300 people displaced, power and transportation networks damaged and 100 houses affected (19 of which destroyed); 50 homes damaged by floods in the town of Apiaí.
• As of 15 January (INMET), heavy rains may still affect parts of São Paulo state in the next 24 h.
National Media (1, 2), INMET, NOAA
ECUADOR – Severe Weather
• Heavy rains and landslides reported in Coastal and Sierra regions; three people killed, 37 injured. Serious material damage to homes and public infrastructure reported. (ECHO)
BRAZIL: Heavy rainfall affected the states of Minas Gerais and Espírito Santo in the 2nd half of December 2013. A total of 45 people have died and more than 70 000 have been displaced.
SOUTH SUDAN – Conflict
• Relocation and evacuation of humanitarian staff by UN Humanitarian Air Service (UNHAS) has continued in several places (Unity, Jonglei, Juba). It is estimated that at least 62 000 people have been displaced due to the violence across the country (OCHA).
• Some 42 000 have sought refuge in UNMISS bases in Bentiu, Bor, Pibor and Juba. Provision of assistance is a major challenge, notably outside Juba. In Juba, the humanitarian response is under way.
• Situation in Juba: tense but stable.
Torrential rain inundated southeastern Brazil in early January 2012, causing severe damage in multiple states. The floods forced thousands from their homes, damaged roads and homes, and broke through a levee in northern Rio de Janeiro State, according to news reports.
01 Aug 2011 - Rains caused floods and landslides in Paraíba, Pernambuco and Rio Grande do Sul provinces. About 78,000 people affected and 15 dead. Link: REDLAC Weekly Note on Emergencies Latin America and Caribbean, Year 4 - Volume 219