Tirana, Albania | AFP | Wednesday 11/19/2014 - 10:01 GMT
Three people were killed overnight in northern Albania in severe flooding caused by torrential rains, police said on Wednesday.
A 63-year-old man and his 23-year-old daughter died after their car was carried away by flood waters while they were driving on a mountain road.
Their bodies were found early Wednesday in a canal, some two kilometres (1.2 miles) from the site of the accident, a police statement said.
BRUSSELS, 27 October 2014 - A new cross-border multi-hazard early warning system will be developed in the Western Balkans and Turkey to increase resilience to floods, landslides, droughts and heat-waves which often hit the region and to build on the lessons learnt from the devastating floods of May 2014.
By Biljana Markova
BELGRADE, 1 October 2014 – Following devastating floods and landslides earlier this year affecting over one million people, a major regional insurance conference opens today in Belgrade to highlight the benefits that disaster risk financing can bring to a region where there is a growing culture of disaster risk reduction through implementation of the priorities laid out in the Hyogo Framework for Action.
Nine Balkan militaries agree to jointly assist the civilian population in times of disasters.
By Miki Trajkovski for Southeast European Times in Skopje -- 22/07/14
In the wake of damaging flooding in Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) this year, military leaders of nine countries in southeast Europe are promising to work together to co-ordinate emergency response to future natural disasters.
WAM ABU DHABI, 25th May, 2014 (WAM) -- The Higher Committee for Foreign Aid at the UAE Red Crescent Authority (RCA), has approved over AED 57.9 million to implement various development projects and programmes in a number of Arab and Foreign countries.
The move follows the directives of H.H. Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler's Representative in the Western Region and Chairman of the Red Crescent Authority (RCA).
By Biljana Markova
BRUSSELS, 11 April 2014 – A major step towards implementation of a disaster risk financing framework in South Eastern Europe has been taken with the completion of a first round of training workshops on new approaches to earthquake insurance last month.
Nueva York - El 4 de abril, Día de Acción contra las Minas, la ONU contribuirá a la concientización sobre los efectos devastadores que los restos explosivos de guerra siguen teniendo sobre las comunidades, incluso décadas después de que los conflictos lleguen a su fin.
Este año, tras el anuncio por parte de Jordania y Uganda de que son países libres de minas, que Etiopía y Mozambique esperan poder anunciar que pronto van a seguir su ejemplo, y que otros países están acabando con las municiones en racimo, se está dando un paso más hacia un mundo más seguro.
Le 4 avril, Journée internationale de la lutte antimines, l’ONU aidera à attirer l’attention sur le coût humain dévastateur des restes explosifs de guerre dans certaines communautés, parfois des dizaines d’années après la fin d’un conflit.
Cette année, alors que la Jordanie et l’Ouganda viennent de se déclarer débarrassés de leurs champs de mines, l’Éthiopie et le Mozambique s’apprêtent à annoncer qu’ils devraient bientôt faire de même. Comme d’autres pays sont, eux aussi, en train d’éliminer leurs armes à sous-munitions, le monde est en passe de devenir moins dangereux.
New York - On Mine Action Day on 4 April, the UN will help raise awareness of the devastating toll that explosive remnants of war continue to exact upon communities, sometimes decades after conflicts come to an end.
This year, with Jordan and Uganda recently announcing that they are free of mine fields, Ethiopia and Mozambique expected to announce that they will soon follow suit, and other countries ridding themselves of cluster munitions, we are one step closer to a safer world.
In Syria, violence is ongoing with government bombardments on Aleppo and infighting between rival rebel factions in Deir-ez-Zor and Al-Hasakeh. Between 07-11 February, a temporary ceasefire in the city of Homs allowed for the evacuation of over 1,200 people and the entry of humanitarian convoys into the Old City for the first time in two years. To date, at least 242,000 people are trapped in besieged areas across the country. Meanwhile, the second round of the Geneva II peace talks began, with expectations regarding aid deliveries and the release of prisoners.
Natural disasters, including drought, earthquakes, floods, and wildfires, as well as ongoing complex emergencies and limited government capacity in the region, present significant challenges to vulnerable populations in Europe, the Middle East, and Central Asia (EMCA). Between FY 2004 and FY 2013, USAID’s Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance (USAID/OFDA) and USAID’s Office of Food for Peace (USAID/FFP) provided assistance in response to a range of disasters, including floods, wildfires, winter emergencies, and complex crises.
Geneva – A new publication by the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention Implementation Support Unit launched 23 January in Geneva, highlights the supporting role that national demining authorities can play in integrating landmine victim assistance into broader approaches to healthcare, disability and human rights.
The Landmine and Cluster Munition Monitor, the research initiative of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines and Cluster Munition Coalition (ICBL-CMC), launches the new report: Frameworks for Victim Assistance: Monitor key findings and observations.
The European Commission’s 2013 Enlargement package indicates a number of positive developments in the enlargement countries over the past year, but also recognises the challenges at hand. Like in the European Union, the impact of the economic crisis is being felt throughout the region, with the Western Balkans falling back into recession.
The present report, covering the period from August 2011 to July 2013, is submitted pursuant to General Assembly resolution 66/69 , in which the Assembly requested the Secretary-General to submit a report to it at its sixty-eighth session on the implementation of that resolution and on follow-up to previous resolutions on assistance in mine clearance and mine action, including relevant United Nations policies and activities.
26 June 2013 – Presenting his eagerly-awaited strategy to put the strife-torn Sahel back on its feet, the United Nations Special Envoy for the region called today on the Security Council to back a framework that would guide the Organization’s collective efforts in capacity building to address resilience, cross-border threats and inclusive governance.
22 June 2013 – The top United Nations official in Iraq today welcomed the relocation to Albania of 27 residents from an exile camp near western Baghdad.
“A total of 71 men and women now have safely arrived in Albania and have benefited from the Government of Albania's offer to accept 210 of the Camp's residents,” said the UN Special Representative for the Secretary-General and head of the UN Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI), Martin Kobler.
16 May 2013 – The top United Nations official in Iraq today called the relocation of 14 Iranians to Albania from an exile camp near Baghdad, an “encouraging first step.”
“The residents’ arrival in Albania late last night is an encouraging first step in the relocation of the group of 210 residents the Albanian government has agreed to receive,” said the UN Special Representative for the Secretary-General and head of the UN Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI), Martin Kobler.
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees, António Guterres, today welcomed a generous offer by the Albanian Government of humanitarian admission for 210 residents from Camp Hurriya in Iraq to Albania.
"I am very grateful that the Albanian Government has offered solutions for 210 people from Camp Hurriya," said Mr Guterres. "The residents of Camp Hurriya urgently need solutions to relocate out of Iraq. We hope they welcome this offer and cooperate to ensure the departure of this important number of people."