News and Press Release

Maps and updates related to this term.

Toggle text

EU and IFRC launch web-documentary journal on disaster resilience

Given the drastic increase in frequency, severity and magnitude of natural disasters, the EU and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC) are launching today a joint campaign on effective preparedness measures.

Toggle text

Sierra Leone/Ebola: 70 cadavres et 150 nouveaux cas découverts pendant les 3 jours de confinement (officiel)

09/22/2014 10:00 GMT

Par Rod MAC JOHNSON

FREETOWN, 22 septembre 2014 (AFP) - La Sierra Leone a découvert 70 cadavres et 150 nouveaux cas de virus Ebola pendant l'opération de confinement général de trois jours ordonnée pour lutter contre l'épidémie, ont annoncé lundi les autorités au lendemain de cette opération inédite.

"Nous avons un trop-plein de cadavres à enterrer mais c'est habituel depuis le début de l'épidémie. Maintenant, nous avons au moins 150 nouveaux cas", a déclaré Steven Gaojia, chef du centre des opérations d'urgence.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

Sierra Leone Ebola lockdown found at least 200 infected, dead: govt

09/22/2014 09:22 GMT

FREETOWN, September 22, 2014 (AFP) - Sierra Leone's controversial Ebola lockdown has uncovered some 150 new cases of the deadly virus in addition to around 70 bodies previously unaccounted for, according to the authorities, who said they may repeat the campaign.

Most of the west African country's six million people were confined to their homes for 72 hours from Friday, as 30,000 volunteers went from door to door to educate residents on preventing the spread of the deadly epidemic.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

Stop-start South Sudan peace talks resume

09/22/2014 09:18 GMT

ADDIS ABABA, September 22, 2014 (AFP) - Talks aimed at ending South Sudan's civil war resumed in Ethiopia on Monday, mediators said, as sporadic fighting continued to rage between rebel and government fighters in the oil-rich country.

The talks have been on hold since late August, when President Salva Kiir and rebel leader Riek Machar signed a new ceasefire deal -- the fourth since fighting began nine months ago -- and forge a unity government by October 9.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

UN convoy into western Libya delivers food and relief supplies to displaced people

RAS JEDIR, Tunisia – A convoy from the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) and the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) loaded with food and humanitarian supplies arrived Saturday in western Libya to help thousands of families displaced from the recent fighting near Tripoli.

Toggle text

World + 3 others
Increased concern over latest strain of avian influenza in Southeast Asia

FAO urges continued vigilance to safeguard poultry and livelihoods

22 September 2014, Rome - A recently-emerged strain of avian influenza virus in poultry in Southeast Asia known as A(H5N6) represents a new threat to animal health and livelihoods and must be closely monitored, FAO said today.

Chinese authorities first reported the influenza A(H5N6) virus in poultry in April 2014. Since then, the Lao People's Democratic Republic and Viet Nam have also detected the H5N6 virus in poultry.

Toggle text

'Polo' se debilita pero mantiene lluvias fuertes en Baja California

La circulación del fenómeno aún favorecerá entrada de humedad hacia el sur de la península, por lo que se esperan lluvias fuertes

(CNNMéxico) — Las lluvias fuertes y el alto oleaje se mantendrán este domingo en Baja California Sur pese a que la tormenta tropical Polo comienza a bajar de intensidad.

Leer artículo completo

Toggle text

Minsa destina hasta S/.57 millones para emergencia sanitaria por virus Chikungunya

Report
Redhum

Perú, 21 de Septiembre 2014

Fuente: ANDINA - PE

Titular del sector insta a médicos a levantar huelga y sumarse a esfuerzos para prevenir enfermedad

El Ministerio de Salud (Minsa) cuenta con una partida de hasta 57 millones de nuevos soles para acciones de prevención y preparación de los servicios de salud frente al riesgo elevado del ingreso del virus Chikungunya al Perú, informó hoy la titular del sector, Midori De Habich.

Toggle text

Gobierno declara emergencia sanitaria nacional por 90 días

Por riesgo elevado de ingreso de la fiebre Chikungunya en nuestro territorio y continuidad de los servicios en los establecimientos de salud

El Gobierno, mediante Decreto Supremo N° 026-2014-SA, declaró Emergencia Sanitaria a nivel nacional, ante el riesgo elevado del ingreso de la fiebre Chikungunya en nuestro territorio y la afectación de la continuidad de los servicios en los establecimientos de salud.

Toggle text

Anuncia Rosario Robles 46 millones de pesos para el Programa de Empleo Temporal en Baja California Sur

Núm. 352 LOS CABOS, B. C. S., a 21 de septiembre de 2014.

  • Informa que se han habilitado los 38 comedores comunitarios para atender a toda la población que lo necesite.

  • El Programa de Empleo Temporal Inmediato dará ingresos a 24,000 familias en la limpieza de sus calles, de sus viviendas, de zonas comerciales y hoteleras.

  • Diconsa ofrecerá en sus 31 tiendas y dos unidades móviles, productos básicos a precios normales, en apoyo de la población.

Toggle text

Actualización del informe de las dependencias federales y organizaciones civiles en atención al huracán “Odile” para Baja California Sur

Se informa que continúa el trabajo intersecretarial del Gobierno de la República y de las organizaciones civiles en Baja California Sur, región afectada por el huracán “Odile”, para proporcionar los satisfactores básicos a la población. De acuerdo con la instrucción presidencial, las operaciones son coordinadas por el Comité Nacional de Emergencia que preside la Secretaría de Gobernación.

Toggle text

Declara la Secretaría de Gobernación fin de la emergencia para un municipio del estado de Tamaulipas

Boletín No. 494 /14

México, D.F., 20 de septiembre de 2014

La Coordinación Nacional de Protección Civil de la Secretaría de Gobernación dio a conocer hoy el aviso de término de la Declaratoria de Emergencia que se emitió el pasado 10 de septiembre de 2014, a través del boletín de prensa 455/14 para el municipio de El Mante del estado de Tamaulipas por la presencia de lluvia severa ocurrida los días 03 y 04 de septiembre de 2014.

Toggle text

Declara la Secretaría de Gobernación emergencia para seis Municipios del estado de Sonora

Boletín No. 492 /14

México, D.F., 20 de septiembre de 2014

La Coordinación Nacional de Protección Civil de la Secretaría de Gobernación emitió hoy una Declaratoria de Emergencia para los municipios de Opodepe, Cucurpe, Rayón, Bacoachi, Arizpe y Ures del estado de Sonora por la presencia de lluvia severa e inundación pluvial y fluvial ocurrida del 16 al 18 de septiembre de 2014.

Con esta acción se activan los recursos del Fondo para la Atención de Emergencias (FONDEN).

Toggle text

Aún hay más de 4.500 personas desplazadas por inundaciones

Report
El Observador

El departamento de Durazno sigue siendo el más afectado, seguido de Florida

El Sistema Nacional de Emergencias (Sinae) informó este domingo que hay 4.590 personas desplazadas debido a las inundaciones que se registran desde hace una semana: un total de 4.420 en Durazno, 154 en Florida, 15 en Soriano y una en Canelones.

De esas 4.590, un total de 4.294 se autoevacuaron, la mayor parte en el departamento de Durazno. Las autoridades aguardan que las familias puedan comenzar el regreso a sus hogares este lunes.

Toggle text

Nueva Vizcaya gov vows to improve disaster mgt program

By: Benjamin Moses M. Ebreo

BAYOMBONG, Nueva Vizcaya , September 21 (PIA)– Governor Ruth Padilla here has vowed to put more resources on disaster management programs to reduce the number of disaster –related victims.

Toggle text

Sec Roxas, Lacierda in Ilocos Norte today to check on typhoon victims

(UPDATED, 1:13 pm) LAOAG CITY, Sept 22 (PIA) - Interior Secretary Mar Roxas has flown to Ilocos Norte to check on displaced families and widespread damages that Typhoon Mario (international code name: Fung-Wong) caused on the province's agriculture, infrastructure and livelihood.

Roxas was accompanied by Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda who both arrived at the Laoag International Airport shortly before noon today, Monday. They proceeded to the provincial capitol to meet Governor Imee Marcos for a briefing before visiting evacuation centers to distribute relief packs.

Toggle text

Makueni County Drought Monthly Bulletin for August 2014

SITUATION OVERVIEW

  • The County was at the Alert stage of the drought early warning cycle. And the trend was deteriorating in the Marginal Mixed Farming livelihood zone.

  • The water situation in the Marginal Farming livelihood zones was fair, in the Marginal Mixed farming Livelihood zone it had deteriorated since the water levels had gone down especially in rivers and Earth Dams. This has led to an increase in waiting time at the available sources.

Toggle text

Cusco: tres muertos deja desborde de riachuelo Sirenachallo

Pobladores temen que en las próximas horas se embalsen las aguas producto de las intensas lluvias

Tres muertos, varios heridos y algunas viviendas arrasadas fue el salado de un desborde del riachuelo Sirenachallo, en el distrito de Quimbiri, ubicado en la provincia de La Convención, Cusco.

La inundación se produjo tras una torrencial lluvia que cayó en la zona y que no cesa hasta el momento. Los pobladores temen que se esté embalsando las aguas en la parte alta del riachuelo, informó RPP.

Toggle text

Syria air strikes kill 42, including 16 children: monitor

09/22/2014 06:56 GMT

BEIRUT, September 22, 2014 (AFP) - Syrian government air strikes killed at least 42 people, including 16 children, in Idlib province in the northwest, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Monday.

The air raids on Sunday afternoon and evening killed 19 people, including six children, outside the city of Saraqeb, and another 23 people, among them 10 children, in the town of Ehsim, the monitoring group said.

The province is largely under rebel control outside its capital, Idlib city.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.

Toggle text

Turkey + 1 other
More than 130,000 Syrian Kurds have fled to Turkey: minister

The latest total is a sharp increase on a figure of 104,000 given earlier Monday by Turkey's emergencies directorate. UNHCR on Saturday said as many as hundreds of thousands of refugees might flee.

Agence France-Presse:

©AFP: The information provided in this product is for personal use only. None of it may be reproduced in any form whatsoever without the express permission of Agence France-Presse.